JKD is an interesting choice for NFL.

Saints rookie Alex Jenkins combines knowledge of martial arts with pass rushing skills

Saints international practice squad player Alex Jenkins (74) during Saints OTA's at the team's headquarters on Thursday, June 1, 2017. (Photo by Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)
The Times-Picayune By Herbie Teope, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on June 05, 2017 at 7:00 AM, updated June 05, 2017 at 7:02 AM

Defensive linemen often utilize numerous tools, such as speed, strength, leverage and the use of hands, to get past an offensive lineman.

So, it is a good thing New Orleans Saints rookie defensive end Alex Jenkins has worked his hands as long as he can remember while growing up in Bath, England.

The 24-year-old Jenkins couldn't avoid the workouts when considering his father, Peter, teaches Jeet Kune Do, a martial arts style founded by the legendary Bruce Lee and has roots in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"I never took it officially," Jenkins said. "But every time I walked past him in the hallways, he'd grab my hands and start trapping."

The incorporation of hands come in a variety of Jeet Kune Do forms, such as the Pak Sao or Phon Sao, and the movements are designed to block or ensnare an opponent's hands and arms while simultaneously going on the offensive.

The skills learned from his father has translated well for the Saints rookie.

"Something I've been doing my whole life is something that relates to this game heavily, especially at my position," Jenkins said.

Martial arts blended with football isn't new, as some NFL pass rushers, such as Kansas City Chiefs outside linebacker Tamba Hali or Chicago Bears outside linebacker Lamarr Houston, incorporate both areas during offseason workouts.

When informed that Hali, who has trained with Ryron Gracie of the world-renowned Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy, and other NFL players are involved in various disciplines of martial arts to improve football skills, Jenkins became intrigued.

"I would definitely love to get into that," he said. "Maybe even get my dad out there because I show him some of the moves and he goes, 'Ah, that's this.' And he'll translate it to some sort of martial art, plus you have to put a little more hips into it in football."

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound Jenkins raises a good point on the game, of course, because while he uses forms of Jeet Kune Do on the football field, his primary goal is to become an NFL player.

Jenkins joins the Saints on a roster exemption as part of the league's new International Player Pathway initiative, which was awarded to the NFC South on a random draft in late May.

Each team in the division is allowed an 11th player on the practice squad, but the player is ineligible to be elevated to the 53-man roster during the regular season.

"It's a mixture of frustration, but then appreciation at the same time because it gives me a chance to learn and really focus on development," Jenkins said. "But being a competitor, an athlete and playing this game, you want to play.

"Ever since I started playing this game, I've always been the top guy, I've always been the guy getting the first-team reps, so it's an adjustment for me being on the sideline and watching. But, it's also a blessing to be able to learn, develop and see where I can be next season, how I can contribute to this team next year."

Jenkins caught the Saints' attention after flashing potential while playing at University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, where he was a three-year starter and recorded 3 1/2 sacks in his senior season.

He enjoyed success at UIW leading to his signing with the Saints, but Jenkins quickly realized the difference between college football and transitioning to the NFL level when he arrived days after organized team activities (OTAs) began.

"The speed of the game, the speed of how quickly you have to learn things, the size of the playbook," Jenkins said. "Obviously, I'm coming in a week late for OTAs, so I'm really trying to catch up, but those are definitely the things I think are a lot different than in college."

Jenkins admits to feeling anxious when he first hit the practice field, especially knowing the level of competition and going against NFL offensive linemen.

But it didn't take long for Jenkins to settle down, draw on martial arts skills he learned as a youth and gain the all-important confidence that he belonged.

"I won one of my first pass rushes with a spin," he said. "Soon as you get it out of your system, you feel good. I know I can play at this level."