Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football & MA

Football & MA

Not to be confused with Football & MMA.

Right here in our five&dime. East Bay Massive!
    Raiders to Celebrate Asian Heritage
    Posted Nov 18, 2009

This Sunday marks the Raiders first-ever Asian Heritage game...

The Oakland Raiders will celebrate Asian Heritage this Sunday when the Silver and Black take on the Cincinnati Bengals at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. The festivities include a full half-time performance by local martial arts schools in dedication to late grandmaster Bruce Lee. The Raiders will pay tribute to Lee and the grandmasters from the participating schools in a pre-game on-field ceremony to honor their contributions to the education and practice of Asian martial arts. Lee’s wife Linda will be in representation of the Lee family.

“We are pleased to add our celebration of Asian Heritage to the many ways in which we share with our global fan base our commitment to multicultural initiatives,” said Raiders Chief Executive Amy Trask.

Grandmasters Ralph Castro, Ernie Reyes, Jack Wada, Scott Coker, Doc Fai Wong, Cung Le, Brian Schwartz, Jordan Pallen, Chris Jensen, Roger Hamilton and Richard Brandon will be honored prior to kickoff. The ceremony will recognize their outstanding efforts as promoters of the millenary form of martial arts. The Raider organization and the grandmasters will pay tribute together to Bruce Lee by dedicating the cultural half-time performance to him. Lee is considered to be the most influential martial artist of the 20th century.

Bay Area-native Neyshia Go will perform the National Anthem. Go comes from a Chinese and Filipino cultural backgrounds due to her family’s Asian roots. She has won numerous local and California State singing competitions and was an American Idol top-50 finalist in 2008.

ESMG World, a leader in multicultural marketing, will produce the half-time show in conjunction with The Silver and Black. The Asian cultural presentation will feature diverse martial arts demonstrations representative of Japan, China, Korea and the Philippines. The martial arts showcase will include aikido, san shou, kung fu, tai chi, lion and dragon dancing, taekwondo, shaolin kenpo, shotokan, kajukenbo, Philippines’ martial arts, Filipino stick fighting, wushu, karate, and mixed martial arts.

The participating schools are: Aikido of San Jose, Cung Le’s Universal Strength Headquarters, Doc-Fai Wong Martial Arts Center, Golden State Taekwondo, Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro’s International Shaolin Kenpo Association, Hamilton Martial Arts Academy, Pallen’s Martial Arts, Richard Branden’s Studio Kicks, and West Coast Martial Arts.

The Raiders have long been pioneers, both on and off the field, with regards to the team’s global outreach. The Silver and Black maintains a global presence and communicates with the worldwide Raider Nation through the team's official web sites which feature original and translated content in six different languages - Tagalog, Japanese, German, Chinese, Spanish and English.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i just had a dream about the teenage mutant ninja turtles last night...

Thumbs up Remarkable

A truly great event. History is being made Sunday. M/A and Football ? Incrediable !

Every youth that plays football will be introduced to M/A on Sunday, what a shot in the arm for M/A. Bruce Lee, one of the people that got KF off the ground and into the world. The Oakland Raiders !

My grandson ( 11 years old ) has just finsihed his 4th football season with his elementary school. We have been tossing that football since he could pick it up, he has been training KF with me since he could walk. The local High school football coach trains him and sees his potential. KF has instilled confindence, pride, and honor in him, football comes naturally to him

Thank you much Gene for putting this on the forum. I am happy to see all that you do for M/A and all of us.

Ron
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

I'm pretty excited about it too, Ron

I'm sorry I'm already booked Sunday or I'd go. It's been forever since I've been to a game. The girlfriend of one of my kung fu brothers was a Raiderette one season and I had this open invite to go to a game, but I never took advantage of that.

I'm delighted to see they got Linda Lee Cadwell out for the event. She doesn't grace too many martial events so her presence always elevates the proceedings. I know all the masters being honored, albeit some only by reputation, but many I know more closely given that they're all from this area. They are all great contributors to the martial arts here.

The downside is that it looks like rain. I can feel that storm coming in right now and we're only like 20 minutes south of the Oakland Coliseum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cool

It wasn't on TV here, sorry to have missed it.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

A follow up report

They need a better copy writer. It's mostly rehash. No mention of Linda either.

Raiders Celebrate Asian Heritage
    Posted Nov 22, 2009

The Raiders first-ever Asian Heritage game took place on November 22, 2009...

The Oakland Raiders celebrated Asian Heritage this past Sunday when the Silver and Black upset the Cincinnati Bengals 20-17 at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. The festivities included a full half-time performance by local martial arts schools in dedication to late grandmaster Bruce Lee. The Raiders paid tribute to Lee and the grandmasters from the participating schools in a pre-game ceremony to recognize their contributions to the education and practice of Asian martial arts.

“We are pleased to add our celebration of Asian Heritage to the many ways in which we share with our global fan base our commitment to multicultural initiatives,” said Raiders Chief Executive Amy Trask.

Grandmasters Ralph Castro, Ernie Reyes, Jack Wada, Scott Coker, Doc Fai Wong, Cung Le, Brian Schwartz, Jordan Pallen, Chris Jensen, Roger Hamilton and Richard Brandon were honored prior to kickoff. The ceremony recognized their outstanding efforts as promoters of martial arts. The Raider organization and the grandmasters paid tribute to Bruce Lee by dedicating the cultural half-time performance to him. Lee is considered to be the most influential martial artist of the 20th century.

Bay Area-native Neyshia Go performed the National Anthem. Go comes from a Chinese and Filipino cultural background. She has won numerous local and California State singing competitions and was an American Idol top-50 finalist in 2008.

ESMG World, a leader in multicultural marketing, produced the half-time show in conjunction with The Silver and Black. The Asian cultural presentation featured diverse martial arts demonstrations representative of Japan, China, Korea and the Philippines. The martial arts showcase included aikido, san shou, kung fu, tai chi, lion and dragon dancing, taekwondo, shaolin kenpo, shotokan, kajukenbo, Philippines’ martial arts, Filipino stick fighting, wushu, karate, and mixed martial arts.

The participating schools were: Aikido of San Jose, Cung Le’s Universal Strength Headquarters, Doc-Fai Wong Martial Arts Center, Golden State Taekwondo, Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro’s International Shaolin Kenpo Association, Hamilton Martial Arts Academy, Pallen’s Martial Arts, Richard Branden’s Studio Kicks, and West Coast Martial Arts.

The Raiders have long been pioneers, both on and off the field, with regards to the team’s global outreach. The Silver and Black maintains a global presence and communicates with the worldwide Raider Nation through the team's official web sites which feature original and translated content in six different languages - Tagalog, Japanese, German, Chinese, Spanish and English.
    The logo bothers me. At least they could have got an Asian dragon. I'm a stickler about dragons...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The logo bothers me. At least they could have got an Asian dragon. I'm a stickler about dragons...
    Agreed!

You would think that the logo designer would know the difference and if he didn't then one would suppose that someone along the chain of command would see that this was not an Asian dragon.

HW108

Meehan

He was just in our mag posing with a featured weapon. It was our 2009 November/December issue: Imperial Decree Precious Sword (from his dad's collection).
    Webster LB has a world of talent
    By Nate Latsch
    SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH
    12/25/2009

Meehan has a world of talent, the Statesmen coach said, but he also has everything else to go with it, including a 3.7 grade-point average.

"You really think someone is trying to feed you a line when you talk about the kid, but he's kind of a throwback," Ice said. "He's doing extra conditioning every day and has other kids doing extra conditioning with him. He just shows up to work. He can't wait for the next practice to start. When you combine his talent and his work ethic, he'll be successful at the next level."

Meehan, who helped Webster Groves go 13-0 and win the Missouri Class 5 championship this fall, has been collecting honors as a junior. He was selected the Suburban South Conference defensive player of the year by the league's coaches, named the Missouri Football Coaches Association defensive most valuable player for Class 5 and now the 2009 Post-Dispatch defensive player of the year.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder started at middle linebacker as a freshman, then started at outside linebacker as a sop****re before moving back to the middle this season.

"I think it was a great year to do that because I was ready to step up," Meehan said. "I felt like I could take it. I felt like whatever the middle linebacker needed to be, I could do that."

Meehan, 17, became a leader for one of the area's best defenses and helped the Statesmen earn the school's fourth state title. He racked up a team-high 145 tackles, including nine for losses, and added six sacks, four interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

Winning is nothing new for Meehan. As a freshman post player he helped the Statesmen win the Missouri Class 5 basketball championship. In his other life, competing in martial arts competitions for several years, he's won often.

"He's a pretty well-rounded kid," Ice said. "His parents have done a good job exposing him to a lot of things. He's traveled a lot for (martial arts). He's done a good job with the basketball team. He's been exposed to a high level of competition from a young age."

Meehan's father, Justin, has studied and taught Tai Chi for more than 40 years, traveling the world to learn from the best of the best. He has shared that love with his wife, Daizy, who played basketball at Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and his two sons, John and Jason.

Jason said his father never really got into sports, besides martial arts, but he and his brother were well-rounded in athletic competition. John played football at John Burroughs and at Drake University. Jason will be playing college football somewhere in two years.

"We've always been athletic and loved to compete," Meehan said.

Meehan said he got involved in martial arts when he was 3 and has been doing it ever since, traveling the world to learn and compete against the best. He won three medals at the 10th annual Chinese Martial Arts Championships in Orlando last year and won two gold medals at the same event earlier this year.

The Webster Groves linebacker said he'd like to go back and compete again if he gets the chance, but for now he's definitely focused on his future on the football field and playing in college. Ice said schools like Oklahoma and Wisconsin have shown interest and Meehan could have his first offer soon.

"I plan on taking it as far as it goes," he said.

At the end of an interview recently, Meehan wanted to make sure he thanked those who have helped him — including football coaches Ice and Mike Abegg and Webster basketball coaches Jay Blossom and Scott Stallcup — and his brother, John, who has "definitely paved the road" for him.

"Without my brother, I'd be a different kid," Meehan said. "I wouldn't be the same. I owe everything I have to my brother."

Too good to be true? Hopefully not.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Twice selected St. Louis Post-Dispatch Defensive Player of the Year, Jason Meehan of St. Louis is now a Defensive End for Northern Illinois University, which will play in the Go Daddy Bowl at 8:00 p.m. this Sunday Jan 8th and televised by ESPN.

Born in 1992 to Sifu Justin and Daizy Meehan, Jason is now a first-year freshman in college with a major in Business. Due to his outstanding accomplishments in high school football, Jason was also named Player of the Year for the Suburban South Conference and a MaxPreps All-American his final two seasons at Webster Groves High School. Jason earned Missouri all-state honors as a junior and a senior. He made 145 tackles with 99 solos and four interceptions during his junior year. During his senior year, he had team-high 177 tackles with 13 for loss, 10 sacks and five interceptions. He also caught nine passes for 413 yards and five touchdowns. He led Webster Groves to the Class 5 Missouri state championship as a junior and a runner-up finish as a senior. In the semifinal game during his senior year, Jason made 18 tackles with 12 solos, two quarterback sacks and an interception. Additionally, he made an 84-yard touchdown catch in the win over Kirkwood. Jason Meehan was a team captain during his final two seasons at Webster Groves. He never missed a game during his high school career.
    Amazingly, Jason also played basketball for his high school and led his team Statesmen in field goal percentage.

Since he was a toddler, Jason had martial art training in Tai Chi, Brazilian Capoeira, and other martial arts. He was trained mostly with his father Sifu Justin Meehan on Tai Chi but also studied directly from Master Zhang Xie-Xing of San Francisco, CA and Grandmaster Feng Zhi-Qian of Beijing, China. In 2008 and 2009, he attended Annual International Chinese Martial Arts Championship held in Orlando, Florida and won Push Hands Champion two years in a row, at the age of only 16 and 17. (see ICMAC website). His older brother John Meehan who played Football for Drake University also was the first to win ICMAC Extreme Push Hands held in St Petersbergh (see Youtube)

Jason always credits Tai Chi and Tui Shou (or Push Hands) for teaching him how to neutralize incoming force and yielding. He thinks Tai Chi practice helps him to relax after a tough football practice or a grueling game. Tai Chi rejuvenates his body as well.

This year’s Go Daddy Bowl will feature a pair of 10-win conference champions Mid-American Conference champion Northern Illinois (10-3, 7-1) and Sun Belt Conference champion Arkansas State (10-2, 8-0). The game will be played at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, AL. Game time is 8:00 p.m. cst. It will be televised by ESPN. St. Louisians and Tai Chi fans, let’s cheer for No. 49 Jason Meehan especially when he plays up against opponents over 300 pounds.

Chinese foot ball was very popular in Song dynasty

You may see tales in "legends of water margins".

Such as Gao Qiu was very good in playing football. He was promoted to high power and very corrupt.

Chinese football and kicking Jiang Zi

both were and still are related to MA.

This is nothing new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cnb...7F1C4335744149

new TV episodes of Shui hu or legends of watermargin (2011).

for people that are interested.

Tkd & ma

Maybe they should train kicking too.
    Source: Bears hire martial arts expert
    February, 11, 2014 8:19 PM ET
    By Jeff ****erson | ESPNChicago.com

The Chicago Bears hired renowned martial arts expert Joe Kim to be a skill development coach for the 2014 season, a league source confirmed Tuesday evening.

Kim will work with all of the Bears' position groups on enhancing their use of hands when blocking or escaping blocks, per the source.

Kim was hired as a pass-rush consultant by the Kansas City Chiefs from 2010-12, according to the official website of Kim's Martial Arts School. Current Bears general manager Phil Emery was the Chiefs' director of college scouting from 2009-11.

In addition to Kansas City, Kim has consulted for the Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, Buffalo Bills, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers and Penn State. Kim was also the Browns' assistant strength coach from 1992-95 and 1999-2000.

Kim's website calls him "one of the most successful Taekwondo Instructors and Coaches in the United States."

The Bears had just 31 team sacks in 2013, down from 41 team sacks the year before in Lovie Smith's final season in Chicago.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wait, they hired a TKD guy to help people with their hands? What am I missing here?

Kim has worked for the NFL before.

Then again, maybe he's a Kung Fu expert...

It’s The Kung Fu Chicago Bears!
    February 12, 2014 9:49 AM
    Dave Fogel
    Dave is the son of former 60s radio deejay and Hollywood television...

The Chicago Bears have hired a Kung-Fu instructor to help out some of there players. Surely most of those moves are illegal on the playing field, but there is a pretty solid reason for it. Check out just what it is in this newscast!

Guess we won’t have to worry about the US defaulting on it’s bills, well, at least for a little while. Check out just how much the country is in debt and how the bill to keep us funding was able to pass.

A Chicagoan has been tapped to be the chairman of the Metra board. What problems will he inherit when he takes the job? A bunch, many of which are listed inside this newscast!

Don’t miss a single K-Hits Newscast. They happen at :10 and :40 past every hour between 5 and 8 AM.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

After working Superbowl50, I've been thinking more about football.

The NFL is Destined to Fail in China
    By Rich Hill  @PP_Rich_Hill on Mar 28, 2016, 7:23a 43

The NFL is planning on expanding the International Series to Germany in 2017 and China in 2018, in an attempt to branch out into the league's six frontier markets- the others being the United Kingdom (check), Canada (check), Mexico (check, in 2016), and Brazil (possible 2017 Pro Bowl destination).

Mexico City, Toronto, and London are three major international cities that have legitimate potential for a sustainable NFL franchise, per FiveThirtyEight research. Germany was host to five of the six NFL Europe teams upon the league's closure, while American Football in Brazil is growing at a rate that had led one local team to have more Facebook fans than the Bills, Bengals, Browns, Jaguars, Titans, Buccaneers, Rams and Cardinals.

The NFL likes to tout the London expansion as a complete success with viewership growing hand over fist, although some might disagree with the reports, so the league wants to capture the magic and spread it to other countries.

China, however, is the golden goose for the NFL. The upper middle class of the country has surpassed the United State's for the first time in history in 2015 and is expected to grow to more than 50% of the country's population by 2022. The NFL wants their support and all the disposable income that comes with it.

The issue is that the NBA got there first and won't be conceding ground anytime soon.

While the NBA might be losing viewers in the United States, they're growing in China and have a solid lead over other American sports on the international stage.

The NBA has a distinct advantage over its American competitors because the sport has been entrenched in the country's identity. Basketball made its way to China just a couple years after it was established in the States and was one of the few Western imports to continue under the Communist rule of Mao. They even had a basketball team in the 1936 Olympics, the first time basketball was considered an Olympic sport. There are generations of basketball players in China, with talent of a high enough level to compete on an international stage.

Basketball is similar to soccer in the sense that it takes few resources to play. You need a ball and a hoop- and "hoop" is a loose term. The rules are simple enough, the game is fluid, and the scoring is exciting enough to capture an audience. It is a sport that can be practiced alone and played together. Every shot is an opportunity to distinguish oneself. These are all important qualities in a region entrenched in soccer.

The NFL also acknowledges the fact that American Football isn't an Olympic sport hampers the growth in China.

"Here in China, there are far more patriots than there are sports fans," NFL's Managing Director of the NFL in China Richard Young told a Chinese outlet. "People rally behind the flag. Primarily, sport is seen on ethnic and national viewpoints; and pride."

While both soccer and basketball allow China to compete in World Championships and Olympic events, football has no comparable stage. The Chinese government also plays a role in developing future athletes, while cultural norms push kids towards academics instead of athletics. The country's one-child policy also deters parents from directing their kids to high contact sports, and the league's tone deaf approach towards head injuries certainly won't endear the sport to an international audience.

These are, of course, sweeping generalizations, but they play an important role in projecting the growth and success of the NFL in China. Iconic players and events are necessary to connect viewers to a sport and to leave a lasting impression, and China is not likely to present one to the football world.

The NBA launched their growth in China in the late 1980s when they allowed a Chinese television network to broadcast games "free of charge," and the NFL has been trying to follow suit. The star power of Michael Jordan and the 1992 Dream Team, as well as the development of basketball player Yao Ming into an international star has placed the NBA in the homes of 30 million viewers per week.

The NFL could use a similar ambassador for the sport, but China's current stance towards football makes it unlikely that a Ming-like player will be able to star in the States, and the prospects of a home-grown player like Jeremy Lin are also bleak. While there will be Pacific Islanders on almost every team, descendants from eastern Asia are far and few between.

In order for the NFL to thrive in China, there has be an increased focus on the future of the sport because the concerns shared by those in the Chinese market are the same as those in the States.

As health concerns continue to be the thorn in the NFL's side in the States, it's important to realize that is the stopping point of any potential for the sport in China. Per Harris Polls of Americans, only 26% of non-football fans think the NFL's concussion policies are effective. Now project that sentiment over a population that the league is trying to entice.

If the league can genuinely improve the safety of the sport, perhaps there will be room for development- or else football will have to grow on the back of two-hand touch or flag football leagues.

The NFL also has to realize how out-of-touch they are with the youth demographic, which is set to boom in China, in line with a growing middle class and increased disposable income. While the NFL (and baseball) continues to watch its average viewer increase in age, the average basketball fan has remained the same age over the past decade- a sign of continued youth interest.

We mentioned Facebook fans earlier in reference to the interest in football in Brazil, but there's also a reason why the Celtics have far more Facebook fans than the Patriots do.

The NBA understands how to leverage technology to capture wider audiences. The NBA considers fan-made highlight tapes to be free marketing, while the NFL is content with preventing sites from embedding YouTube videos from their official channel. The NFL wants to control every facet of the experience, while the NBA wants to support the user's individual experience.

Superstars are created when the athletes' individualism shine both on and off the field. The NFL owners are too busy trying to stop touchdown dances to notice that white males over the age of 65 are the only demographic that dislikes celebrations. These superstars are necessary to create a 1992 Dream Team-esque impact for football in China.

And finally, the NFL needs to find themselves an ambassador that can promote the sport- and superstars would be incredibly helpful in this step. The Patriots are the most popular team in China, so naturally a player from New England would make the most sense. Safety Patrick Chung is of Chinese descent and has been actively involved in Boston Chinatown.

Or maybe if the league owners could stop railroading quarterback Tom Brady over DeflateGate, they could see that Brady is the favorite NFL player of Asian Americans (and, on another note, he'd be a walking billboard for the league in Brazil thanks to his wife).

Until the league recognizes that safety is a major issue that is worthy of immediate action, and until the league stops catering to the whims of out-of-touch owners desperate for immediate returns, instead of focusing on the health of the league's future, China won't be a successful venture for the NFL.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips