Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Explaining Qi/energy

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nice explanations, however you are only talking of qi in the sense of human physiology.
    What about fung-soi? Areas can have ch'i. Woods, clouds,mountains,water,etc have ch'i.
    Ch'i means breath in English. But breath does not carry the same meaning in Chinese, it is simply a convenient word, at least until you try to define it. Then it takes volumes.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nice explanations, however you are only talking of qi in the sense of human physiology.
    What about fung-soi? Areas can have ch'i. Woods, clouds,mountains,water,etc have ch'i.
    Ch'i means breath in English. But breath does not carry the same meaning in Chinese, it is simply a convenient word, at least until you try to define it. Then it takes volumes.
    "qi" is a methodology that allows for describing functional interrelationships within and between organic systems; that is, it is a way of getting a handle on the complex manner in which "living" (changing?) things influence each other;

therefore, "qi" is not just breath/ breathing, although air and the processes by which we take it in and utiize it in the body are aspects of the system that "qi" describes

so it is a mental construct / metaphor; it is also a highly subjective system; but can also be very effective in terms of identifying, predicting and correcting "imbalances" in the human body;

going from micro to macro, "fung seuih" is a method on working with the way in which the environment within one spends large amounts of time (e.g. - your home, your community, etc.) affects you; it's as simple as saying that if you live next to a swamp you will "live" differently than if you live on the side of a mountain - duh; of course, it gets into the psychological piece as well when you start working with locations of mirrors, plants, etc. in your house; and of course it is to some degree culturally coded, in regards to the "supernatural" element...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    "qi" is a methodology that allows for describing functional interrelationships within and between organic systems; that is, it is a way of getting a handle on the complex manner in which "living" (changing?) things influence each other;
    I would say, the use of the concept of qi is the methodology. qi exists whether we apply a method of understanding to it or not. It is part of the objective reality upon which we only have effect while functioning within.

therefore, "qi" is not just breath/ breathing, although air and the processes by which we take it in and utiize it in the body are aspects of the system that "qi" describes
    Huge and vastly important aspects to understanding it.

so it is a mental construct / metaphor; it is also a highly subjective system; but can also be very effective in terms of identifying, predicting and correcting "imbalances" in the human body;
    Ok, I can accept that as a way.

going from micro to macro, "fung seuih" is a method on working with the way in which the environment within one spends large amounts of time (e.g. - your home, your community, etc.) affects you; it's as simple as saying that if you live next to a swamp you will "live" differently than if you live on the side of a mountain - duh; of course, it gets into the psychological piece as well when you start working with locations of mirrors, plants, etc. in your house; and of course it is to some degree culturally coded, in regards to the "supernatural" element...
    geomancy and energy redirection, collection, focus, cultivation etc are not exactly exact sciences and are further means to try and describe qi and it's effects.

Ultimately, qi is all around us it is the air we breath not just the oxygen, but the air. The life force of the earth itself and us within it. It permeates all living things, it permeates all spaces seen and unseen and it flows through time and space across void and on other worlds. Cosmic rays can also be regarded as a form of qi although, in an entirely different context to how our elan vidal or life force is.

If we look at the 4 states of things:
    Living/dead/moving/not moving

we know that for sure, qi is within and working in the living
    we know that qi can surround the dead, but cannot be cultivated and therefor not sustained in the dead.
    moving involves forces, forces require energy, energy is qi.
    not moving can still be permeated with qi, but if not alive, cannot be cultivated.

and so we traipse around. wondering what it is while all the while we are permeated with the stuff.

what is air? the air where you are now, is it the same quality as that atop everest? is it the same quality or quantity as is found in the valleys of the grand canyon? yes & no.

the simpler we keep it, the mre readily we can understand it and make practice of the cultivation of it within ourselves to serve us through our conscious efforts.

Kung Fu is good for you.

If you want to classify Qi as something more than the sum of it's parts, then I have a problem with that.

Qi = energy I can get on board, but then we are including/moving outside of the realm of the kinds of Qi that we can cultivate.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Qi in martial art and Qigong are very specific and tangible.

One doesnt need to explain Qi.

one passes the Qi cultivation process to the student and let coach them to grow it in their own body and use it.

Can one have Qi without breathing?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Can one have Qi without breathing?
    actually when the noise breathing almost stop the Qi tango starts...

considering that all things are nothing more than energy vibrating at different rates of frequency... what is qi again?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    considering that all things are nothing more than energy vibrating at different rates of frequency... what is qi again?

with all these intellecturize trying to explain Qi without be able to play with it just doesnt work.

Chi/Qi has been explained perfectly well. However, some people just can't seem to get past the supernatural.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Chi/Qi has been explained perfectly well. However, some people just can't seem to get past the supernatural.
    aye...

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    with all these intellecturize trying to explain Qi without be able to play with it just doesnt work.
    regardless of what people play with, qi still works just as it always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post

You are right,
    There is nothing supernatural if one has cultivate and be able to evoke it.

and there is no need to have an explanation, what one needs is to describe it as it when one can evoke it.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    aye...

regardless of what people play with, qi still works just as it always will.

could you please describe how gi works?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

This is all the confusion starts when one tries to link cultivating the Qi to Fung Soi to fortune telling......etc.

But if you really physically practice Nei Gong / Qi Gong and also study what great people who spent a lifetime working with such things actually said throughout history, Qi is a result of a process. Qi is not a substance like say water whose flow is controlled. It's not like breath flying through your body. Qi is more like a weak electro-magnetic field, the result of your body's functioning in an optimum way.

And that's the kicker, the "functioning optimally" is where the 'gong' - the work or exercises comes in; work that is done to augment this energy field through improving the whole body-mind being.

Qi was the end result of the natural physical processes that make you alive. This already existing energy inside the body comes to be more fully observable when impediments are removed, whatever they may be, physical, mental or emotional. When such impediments are gone, a clear channel results through which this energy can manifest itself enough to be noticeably felt. The stronger the "internal health", the stronger this electro-magnetic energy field can be felt. It's like amplifying signal. The more capacity and range, the greater the signal strength.

Thus, Qi is something that can be felt, since it results from innate internal processes. You can feel a weak electro-magnetic field emerging from the body. But, this is also what gives people the illusion that Qi is an actual physical substance that can be manipulated. Whereas, it's the "whole body-mind" that is manipulated or worked or tuned so as to be free of impediments. Then, this inherent energy becomes more observable, more dialed in. Impediments greatly diminish or stop this result.

Does this make sense?