Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Explaining Qi/energy

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Sorry I bring up the fear in you all to cause you to attack me.
    it's true - I found that video terrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    reminded me of something out of a class B zombie flick...

Mercy on us all. Video is not a proof of much. Especially of chi kung. That is like trying to video the Holy Ghost. Hendrik, the reason we tend to attack you is that you are always negative toward everyone else. No one knows anything about anything but you. But when we ask you to explain your views you never really have anything to say that makes sense. If you could offer your view points, along with some sort of reasonable explanation of it you might not end up being attacked. If you truelly are the only one that knows, instead of telling people to find a sifu that can teach them, tell them what they are asking of you. Besides, How are we ever going to find a sifu that knows these things if you are the only one that knows?
    Providing this standing and being quite as you call it really does develop Chi, just how are you able to use it to your ends? Tell us how you use chi, and what chi can do for you. If you can not actually use it, what is it good for otherwise?

LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    what is it good for otherwise?
    well for starters, it's presence instigates entertaining converstaions such as these.

exactly;

I'd also be curious why his head is obviously forward / flexed, and why his shoulders are rolled forwards (notice his hands are in front of his body, not at the sides, which indicates internal rotation at glenohumeral / thoracic flexion) and he is basically collapsed into his structure, there is no upward "thrust" to balance the root; his eyes are also "dead", IMPO
    Well, Like LCP said, video's not proof of much, But it IS proof of posture. Goodness knows, we all have our imperfections: I have "Cyclist's Neck" and a bit of functional scoliosis from sitting on too many cushiony chairs. My right calf is still slightly larger than my left calf because North American cars have right-footed gas pedals. That's part of why I do Qigong: to correct those postural, functional and structural imbalances. Plus, the more balanced the body, the more balanced the mind, and vice versa - which means a correct mind is necessary to correct the body as much as a correct body is necessary to correct the mind.

We can't really say much without Hendrik giving any specifics as to why he may be expressing what he is on video. Maybe he's working on stretching specific meridians. Maybe he's had lots of injuries and imbalanced muscle usage, and this is the level to which he's rehabilitated himself. Maybe he fell asleep. Maybe he's drinking Kool Aid.

What I see, though, is very similar to what I've seen other people do - namely, interpret the "Hollow the Chest, Fill the Back"/"Soften the Chest, Expand the Back" literally. His upper back exhibits a roundness which, accompanied by the inwardly rotated shoulders, seems to indicate this. At any rate, I see his mind is NOT on maintaining a lively uprightness and centredness. He seems to be doing some kind of extreme reduction of conscious control without having fully prepared the body ahead of time.

Hendrik, if you're actually sleeping in that video, Kudos for not falling over. Falling asleep standing up is not my goal, though; I practice standing as much for my body as for my mind. "A lively energy holds up the crown."
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Hendrik, if you're actually sleeping in that video, Kudos for not falling over. Falling asleep standing up is not my goal, though; I practice standing as much for my body as for my mind. "A lively energy holds up the crown."
    funny stuff... i can imagine what damo(tamo-bodiharma) was thinking now... again.

What I see, though, is very similar to what I've seen other people do - namely, interpret the "Hollow the Chest, Fill the Back"/"Soften the Chest, Expand the Back" literally. His upper back exhibits a roundness which, accompanied by the inwardly rotated shoulders, seems to indicate this. At any rate, I see his mind is NOT on maintaining a lively uprightness and centredness. He seems to be doing some kind of extreme reduction of conscious control without having fully prepared the body ahead of time.
    my sifu has translated this as "swallow the chest / pluck up the back", which helps, I think, understand this a bit better; actually, the sounds themselves tell you something: "hum hung, baht buih" - the way you say them engenders what the body should be doing...
    from a more pedestrain perspective, you are releasing / decreasing tension of the SCM, scalenes, upper traps, pecs and are doing a sort of scapular setting - of course, this follows the first principles of "heuih lihng, yuhn ding" - empty the collar, suspend the top, which is basically a capital flexion action that inhibits sub-occipital tension and gets that float feeling, and allows the next one to occur;

many people seem to interpret this as a sort of collapsing in of the chest / protraction of the shoulders - but that precludes any sort of "hing", because the direction of force is all downwards - too much "gan", basically; and this leads to lethargy and a dullness of mind; in my estimation, this is what Hendrik demonstrates in his video;

Hendrick is the only one here who has any true understanding of qi, he is the only one not speculating, the rest of us are all wrong; if you quote / reference the classics, you are stuck in books; if you speak from direct experience, you are New Age BS;

only Hendrick knows the truth; and here is the proof of his attainment (scroll down to second video):
    http://web.mit.edu/qigong/global.htm
    ....this is all speculum......

Nice.

Hendrik - is your swaying intentional or not?

Do you have any form of scoliosis? If not, why are your shoulders not level and even? Is it part of your practice to hold one arm lower than the other?

If your swaying is not intentional and you have a form of scoliosis, then I wish you all the best in your health practice. If your swaying IS intentional and your arms are exactly where they should be, would you be able to explain why?
    ...when books understands is dim.....like sun on lake....

exactly;

I'd also be curious why his head is obviously forward / flexed, and why his shoulders are rolled forwards (notice his hands are in front of his body, not at the sides, which indicates internal rotation at glenohumeral / thoracic flexion) and he is basically collapsed into his structure, there is no upward "thrust" to balance the root; his eyes are also "dead", IMPO
    ...when understands is dim, speculum gets stuck....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    oh, come on, Hendrik don't be like that .

if you knew anything about human nature, you have to admit you brought it upon yourself.

instead of telling everyone we're wrong or have been mislead, share your viewpoints.
    ...speculum from books is non-standing, understands human nature is wrong path.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Didnt they attack me before anything? hahaha
    ....he who attacks expect attack..except when non-speculum is improper use....then understands non-thing is poorly understands before....

...conquers fears is less than fearing conquerors speculum understands.....

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    reminded me of something out of a class B zombie flick...
    ...real zombies speculum from books is understandinglessly poorer than real knowingingliness...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    .....Hendrik, the reason we tend to attack you is that you are always negative toward everyone else. No one knows anything about anything but you. But when we ask you to explain your views you never really have anything to say that makes sense.....

...when attacks makes sense then non-attacking understands standing qi without attacking non-attackers speculum of understands....

For all.....

...when understands is non-speculum, then true understands is non-understands from the non-speculum speculum......

You know what is more valuable than talk? Doing.

Here's two examples in my own life events, based on my about 25 years practice of specific Shaolin and Taoist nei gong sets:

1 - I witnessed an auto accident of an overturned car, I went under that car and saw the person was hanging upside, face smashed into the ground, blood and teeth everywhere. For fear of this person's neck being broken, person could not be removed (plus no one wanted to get blood on them). Soon this person stopped breathing, and I immediately had someone hold this person's forehead so that it wouldn't moved, and pressed points on the body that made the person suddenly gasp and revive. I had to whisper to the person to accept what happened and just wait for further help. Half an hour later a doctor arrived, cleaned the mouth out and asked me how this person was revived. I told him and he said "good, there nothing else would have worked", since if they were not breathing all this time, death was indeed inevitable. I was received an award for doing this.
    Now, the only way I can say I sensed what to do (I don't claim to have known EXACTLY what to do) was my nei gong practices where I did meridian exercises that stimulated certain points.
    Shows the existence of Qi or not Qi?

2 - I was sick all year with a mystery illness, quite painful. When the surgeon did the operation, I was later told, he realized that I could have died all year, because my colon had been at the brink of bursting and this was not seen in any scans or tests, and by a weird "miracle" (his words), my small intestine had moved, covered the area about to burst, and adhered to it, which prevented my death from any strenuous movements (which all year I had jumped around on stage, kicked and punched in KF classes, practiced applications full blast with my students, and was head butted by a small child).
    All year, I had been daily practicing nei gong exercises for the internal organs (not on purpose, since I didn't know I had this problem until I went to the hospital, but because I taught and practiced these nei gong sets daily anyways.
    Show the existence of Qi or not Qi?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    ....this is all speculum......

...when books understands is dim.....like sun on lake....

...when understands is dim, speculum gets stuck....

...speculum from books is non-standing, understands human nature is wrong path.....

....he who attacks expect attack..except when non-speculum is improper use....then understands non-thing is poorly understands before....

...conquers fears is less than fearing conquerors speculum understands.....

...real zombies speculum from books is understandinglessly poorer than real knowingingliness...

...when attacks makes sense then non-attacking understands standing qi without attacking non-attackers speculum of understands....

For all.....

...when understands is non-speculum, then true understands is non-understands from the non-speculum speculum......

UUUH, say what? I must be losing my mind or something. Nothing makes sense to me any more.

LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post

Here's two examples in my own life events, based on my about 25 years practice of specific Shaolin and Taoist nei gong sets:

1 - I witnessed an auto accident of an overturned car, I went under that car and saw the person was hanging upside, face smashed into the ground, blood and teeth everywhere. For fear of this person's neck being broken, person could not be removed (plus no one wanted to get blood on them). Soon this person stopped breathing, and I immediately had someone hold this person's forehead so that it wouldn't moved, and pressed points on the body that made the person suddenly gasp and revive. I had to whisper to the person to accept what happened and just wait for further help. Half an hour later a doctor arrived, cleaned the mouth out and asked me how this person was revived. I told him and he said "good, there nothing else would have worked", since if they were not breathing all this time, death was indeed inevitable. I was received an award for doing this.
    Now, the only way I can say I sensed what to do (I don't claim to have known EXACTLY what to do) was my nei gong practices where I did meridian exercises that stimulated certain points.
    Shows the existence of Qi or not Qi?

2 - I was sick all year with a mystery illness, quite painful. When the surgeon did the operation, I was later told, he realized that I could have died all year, because my colon had been at the brink of bursting and this was not seen in any scans or tests, and by a weird "miracle" (his words), my small intestine had moved, covered the area about to burst, and adhered to it, which prevented my death from any strenuous movements (which all year I had jumped around on stage, kicked and punched in KF classes, practiced applications full blast with my students, and was head butted by a small child).
    All year, I had been daily practicing nei gong exercises for the internal organs (not on purpose, since I didn't know I had this problem until I went to the hospital, but because I taught and practiced these nei gong sets daily anyways.
    Show the existence of Qi or not Qi?
    Yes, chi exists. Most do not actually say it don't exist. But it is not what some bill it to be. It is nothing more than your own life force. The energy that fuels your own body, and it can not be projected into another person or object. It is not a force or mysterious power a person has. It is just something that the body produces from food and oxygen to fuel the body and give it life. Like the gasoline that fuels your car, provided it is not a diesel. Stretching exercises will do great wonders for your body. You can stand like a statue and you will do nothing toward aiding the body or chi. You can open the muscles and joints up to blood and nutrient flow, which aids in healing and rebuilding.

LCP

LOL!! It's an inside joke....you may not have interacted with hendrik enough to get the joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    LOL!! It's an inside joke....you may not have interacted with hendrik enough to get the joke!
    no, I think LCP got it .

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    no, I think LCP got it .
    OO....OO....OO.....yoooooou dirtyrat!!!

apparently I don't pick up on rhetorical comments very well, lol, that's twice in two days! One more strike and I'm out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    sometimes watching and observing is better than doing... sometimes we need to WATCH and OBSERVE before we can DO... then again, everything that needs to be done will be done in the moment of it's doing.
    25 years?? so how many lifetimes does that translate into??