Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styles in Canton

Styles in Canton

What styles were available to students in Canton, Guangdong in its heyday at the end of the Ching Dynasty?

Canton styles

I suppose I should add Foshan into the next, being almost a suburb.

Google is your friend...

It's how you ask the question that's important: let me google that for you
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Cool Canton styles

Yes, Google IS my friend, but so are the reliable and knowledgable brains on this forum! You guys rock. Now if I could compress all your knowledge onto a zip drive...

Quote Originally Posted by Baritsumaster View Post
    Yes, Google IS my friend, but so are the reliable and knowledgable brains on this forum! You guys rock. Now if I could compress all your knowledge onto a zip drive...
    well, you'd have a zip drive with a load of jibba jabba on it. lol

you're still gonna have to do the work.
    And if Malcolm Gladwell has it right, you're looking at about 10,000 hours of practice.

If you want to space that out reasonably, you can say that it takes 10 years to get really good at anything.

knowing without applying is not enough.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Canton styles

Ten years, that sounds about right. No short cuts. I'd better get back to work then. I'm a reference librarian after all.

Aw, c'mon, guys! I like making lists.

I'll start the ball rolling, Will, and see if anyone jumps in.

Of course, you know about Hung Ga and Choi Lei Fat. To that I'll add Choi Ga and Lama Kyuhn, for starters.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

canton styles

We'll come up with the definitive list of what I'll call "Styles Wong Fei Hung Encountered".
    Don't forget Hop Ga!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It's how you ask the question that's important: let me google that for you
    that was pretty cool!

Canton styles

Jow Ga, but not officially until about 1915. Lau Ga. Lots of Ga's

Canton styles

We're cooking along.

Traditional Southern family styles: Hung, Lei, Mok, Choi (not Lee Fut)

And some unheard of style called Wing Chun. Wasn't that an Eighties pop group?

Canton styles

Perhaps a little Lion's Roar?

Of course, practically any style could show up in Canton, being a port city and so close to Hong Kong, where some early tournaments took place. WFH fought in one and beat a foreignor and his dog/wolf, according to his memorial

Quote Originally Posted by Baritsumaster View Post
    Perhaps a little Lion's Roar?

Of course, practically any style could show up in Canton, being a port city and so close to Hong Kong, where some early tournaments took place. WFH fought in one and beat a foreignor and his dog/wolf, according to his memorial
    The general public wouldn't have recognized the name "Lion's Roar" in the period you are examining. Perhaps, not even "Hop Ga." Those were insiders terms for what might have been known generically as "lama kyuhn" or lama-style boxing. The branch known as "Tibetan White Crane" probably didn't have a name until the beginning of the nationalist period.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Smile Canton Styles

Five Family Style from Ark Wong