Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: choylifut

Question choylifut

hey im new here and im a choylifut white sash 2 id like some tips on how to improve my kicking balance because when i throw side or back kicks in rapid succession i always lose balance. any help would be appreciated thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knocturnal_fang View Post
    hey im new here and im a choylifut white sash 2 id like some tips on how to improve my kicking balance because when i throw side or back kicks in rapid succession i always lose balance. any help would be appreciated thanks
    one way is to start by breaking up the skill: work on single leg balance without throwing any kicks; you can do it statically with eyes open or eyes closed (this develops pure proprioception / body awareness, as opposed to having a visual assist) - you can also try it on a variety of surfaces: solid level floor, progress to things like thick carpeting, grass, uneven terrain, sand, or things like an air-filled balance disc or bosu ball; you can also add in a small hop on the weight-bearing leg: basically, the fewer variables, the easier: the hardest would be hopping on a balance disc w/eyes closed;

you can then do the same thing adding a single kick - start by throwing the kick slowly or even just extending it and holding it at various points of the range; eventually increase the speed, and then add the spins (you may want to do the spins w/out the kicks as well)

also, you may notice that one side is easier to balance on, and that spinning in one direction is easier than the other; one trick that can be a big help is this: practice the good side first, and to the point of moderate fatigue; then test the other side again - you might be surprised how much better the "bad" side got just by practicing the good side (there is a neurological basis for this, it is a concept used clinically with good effect much of the time);

the important thing about balance training is to understand one thing: if you contact something with your hand, even the tip of a singe finger, to help you stay upright, you are using a COMPLETELY different muscle firing sequence to stay upright than if you balance w/out using your hands; so if at all possible, try to not use any sort of external upper extremity support, as that is not training the same balance response that you would use when not holding on to something

who gave you that white sash?

if they're gonna give you pretty pieces of silk to wear, they should also give you instruction on how to wear it with style!

lol.

standard response is "ask your sifu".

If you go back to your club and tell your sifu that so & so over on th kfm forums told you that "x is the way", you are gonna tick him off and sabotage your own learning construct which you have only begun to build.

walk before you run man! I know it's exciting, but when you're 70 and you can still hand someone their ass, then, you will be really excited about how you spent your life!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    I'm still shocked at the idea of gung fu people having colored sashes like karate people.

Our lineage has never used a belt ranking system to gauge our progress.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I'm still shocked at the idea of gung fu people having colored sashes like karate people.

Our lineage has never used a belt ranking system to gauge our progress.
    I think only a few do, thankfully we never did either.

We've done it off and on at the ng family chinese martial arts association. It does have it's benifits as far as organizing and creating a structured learning syllabus. As long as you done recklessly throw out ranks, the sash system could help establish standards of quality.

I didn't learn Choy Lay fut under the sash system but I am running my school under it
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

GM Doc Fai Wong does the same thing. It really does make sense. Otherwise, how do you quantify anything? Like said before, it provides a syllabus and organization to what could turn into haphazard, unstructured training.

Sometimes, change can be good.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

There are other ways to do and I understand why people do it that way especially in the U.S. That being said I like the fact there is some tradition still left and the entire school having one color sash is one of them.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter becuase nothing is truly traditional or original anymore.

everyone whereing the same sash isn't really traditional either. Traditionally there is no real uniform.

At the Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association there is technically a sash ranking system but since no one wear sashes, people are ranked by certificate. The ranks only determine what material should be learned and not the students place at the school that still follows the old confucian model(sifu, si hing, sidai etc.)

For the schools that don't have a sash ranking system, is there a structured curriculum or testing etc.

We don't wear sashes, but since our enrollment is so small, everyone knows who has learned what.

Blog Entries
    ahhhh....i like the old school way of doing things. the belt or sash may indicate your progress within the lineage....but it really has no bearing IMHO on skill level, or the ability to duke it out on the streets in need be.

you're right your "rank" doesnt detrimine your success in self defense. It's a tool to use for organized teaching. If you stuck completely to tradition you wouldn't even have a structured class and would just teach people when they came in and only if you felt like it. Some traditions are better changed to be made more streamlined and effecient.

Blog Entries
    if you're running a commercial school i understand where you are coming from. schools have to do what they have to toretain students. My biggest fear about sash rankings is that it promotes false security. i have friends who are 3rd degree black belts and higher who were awesome in the studio. had all the routines down, the fighting forms apps and all were done expertly. but, when it came to real life street situations, i've seen them freeze and come to instant realization that they wasted their time thinking their black belts were a sign of mastery.

My other issue is having a 12 year old black belt or sash...it just isn't right in my book.

Any ranking system that is used in a martial arts system doesn't garuantee success in a real fighting senario. Either does training without it. I think your friend freezeing had less to to do with the fact that he trained under a belt system and more to do with the fact that he hasn't been in a fight.

Also, just to clarify, student retention has nothing to do with using belt/ranking systems either. It's simply one way to organize your curriculum with a way to signify where you are in the curiculum. the Lee Koon Hung association is much more successful comercially than my school "Hung Sing Martial Arts Association" and they don't colored sashes.

BTW, how do you organize the material taught in your school and how do you decide when a student is qualified to learn it?

Blog Entries
    we have set markers within our lineage. for example, Cheung Kuen is our basic form. Sup Ji Kau da is our mid level form, and Um Ying and others mark the higher levels in our lineage.

but we do have a structure....what i refer to as a traditional structure because many old sifu's can relate to how we are teaching our system. we're not a "KUNG FU" mill or anything. so we don't feel the need to have a colored sash. The colors of our school is red and white. this has been so going back to Fut San. The traditinal gung fu uniform was a sash, not for rank, a tshirt with the schools name on it and gung fu pants. thats a traditional uniform.

our school going back to Lau Bun was always about an individuals skills, and IMHO a ranking sash system only mass produces students. i can't be mad at someone who is using gung fu as a career to do what he has to to survive.

well, let me say this....all i've seen was commercial CLF schools use a colored sash system....are there other systems out there like wing chun, white crane, etc, etc, using a sash ranking system?