Thread: hung mun hand signals

Hybrid View

hung mun hand signals

i had some questions regarding hung mun hand signals in hung sing choy li fut. what do these hand signals mean and does anyone have a link to youtube that demonstrates these hand signals?

are the hung mun hand signals in the forms? do you have a site that shows these hung mun signals?

Symbolism

Nice reply hsk, and it's a fascinating subject to me - the "codified" messages embedded in the forms / sessions. All TCMA systems seem to incorporate this sort of thing, whether in the movements themselves, or the names of the movements (poetry). Related largely to Taoist / Buddhist principles, but also to the underground movements as well. For instance, every movement in the Dragon Style bow has a purpose / meaning, with different levels of understanding as a student's understanding grows. Some people (Westerners) just label it as "Chinese Freemasonry", but don't bother to dig any deeper.

As the saying goes; those who know do not say, those who say do not know. It's largely irrelevant to a "western" student, except for the cultural interest. This seems to be one of the reasons traditional teachers wanted to keep these forms / sessions "intact" and unaltered.

It would make a really good thesis for a student of anthropology!

can someone please tell me which movements are signals and what the meaning is? im very curious. thanks.

also, in the lee koon hung sup ji kau da dvd, are there any hung mun signals in the form from that dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    can someone please tell me which movements are signals and what the meaning is? im very curious. thanks.

also, in the lee koon hung sup ji kau da dvd, are there any hung mun signals in the form from that dvd?
    ?

bows at beginning and ending of form are frequently different from school to school, society to society. depending on origin.

the typical salute is a signal palm into fist extended forward. there is meaning in how high you hold this, whether the hand is covering the fist or resting on it if it is above the eyes or at heart level and so on.

there is double meaning within forms as well.

Do you have a kungfu teacher? If so, that really oughta be your source at this point.

I really don't think anyone is gonna give up their clubs symbols to someone on the net for the sake of it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As a teacher at the LKH school I can tell you we were never taught if our forms had hung mun signals or not. That set comes from the Chan Hueng/Chan Koon Pak line so it might not have any hung mun connection at all since it is not a Jeong Yim set.

i had some questions regarding hung mun hand signals in hung sing choy li fut. what do these hand signals mean and does anyone have a link to youtube that demonstrates these hand signals?
    no................................

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC