Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: hung mun hand signals

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    thanks for the posts. the reason im asking about the hand signals is because i want to stay away from anything that conflicts with Christianity. that being said, which movements represents the five elements? does anyone know if karate uses hung mun signals since southern kung fu influenced karate?
    How do hand signals identifying ones grasp of knowledge of something conflict with christianity?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i cant be involved in symbolisms that make references to any religion or religious type organizations. i first need to know the facts before creating my own conclusions. were the choy li fut forms originally created for combat or as symbolism for the hung mun?

i cant be involved in symbolisms that make references to any religion or religious type organizations. i first need to know the facts before creating my own conclusions. were the choy li fut forms originally created for combat or as symbolism for the hung mun?
    Let me get this straight, you're a christian who needs the facts first?

Excuse me for pointing out how extremely odd and somewhat rude that is in context to what you are asking.

You are practically dismissing kungfu before you get anything from it and are asking about whether or not it is religious.

Does boxing and it's routines interfere with christianity?

If you are worried about upholding traditions, then just go somewhere like an mma gym or find a club that is completely devoid of any traditional constructs.

Forms are combinations strung together into long exercises. Some are filled with boxing techniques and others are for developing good breathing habits and movement habits.

You're not worshipping anything by practicing kungfu. You're doing the same stuff as anyone else in any other martial art. Just training using the methodologies put before you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    were the choy li fut forms originally created for combat or as symbolism for the hung mun?
    ummm, i think you may want to do some american karate or something. cause once you start learning chinese martial arts, you lose your connection to christianity being that chinese martial arts are taoist and buddhist, NOT christian. so maybe give up martial arts all together.

what does your religion have to do with anything?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Most, if not all Chinese Martials Arts has history to some Taoist and Buddhist back ground.

The true christian should just join a YMCA and excersise not learn some Military Art to hurt someone.

Blog Entries
    true true......

yet, isn't it a Christian thing to turn the other cheek?

Choy Lee Fut people tend NOT to turn the other cheek....**** man....that's NOT very Christian! oh wait....Choy Lee Fut is a Buddhist art...sorry. LOL

When in Rome, follow the customs of the Romans.

When in any temple respect and follow the customs of the deities.

Thomas316 if you are to follow your Christian cook book you may as well forget about doing any martial arts. Most martial arts have some rituals attached to it.

You may want to ty MMA, although its called mixed martial arts it is not a military or martial art. At the end of any MMA confrontation no one is meant to die. A broken arm or hyper extented elbow maybe but no one will be chopped or is meant to die.

In any martial art it intent is to teach someone an art to hurt and kill. Any karate or kung fu punch into the belly is meant to hurt one's organs.

Thomas,
    As an ordained minister (pentecostal) and having served in Christian ministry for 14 years, perhaps I can help you. As far as the hung mun hand signs are concerned, they are inert unless YOU place credence in them. Accept them as something with a cultural/historical flavor that others may place significance on, but that need not have any meaning to you. They will have no effect on your spiritual life.
    Though you may lose a cultural experience from rejecting them, they have little relevance in learning to defend yourself. If that is the goal of your Chinese martial arts experience.
    I don't believe that my decades of Chinese martial arts study, along with studying the oriental philosophies has had any negative effect on my personal spiritual life.
    Richard

Blog Entries
    Let me explain further....

The signals Have NOTHING to do with religion. They are just that.....signals. They were living in a time that being in the society meant instant beheading, and their signals were meant to TELL another member in the crowd that we are brothers so to speak.

they are not evil. or against religion. In fact, Christianity did play a part in the Hung Mun cause a member (Hung Siu Kwan) was converted to christianity.

but as everyone is saying......the signals have nothing to do with any religion at all.

Smile

I am a Chinese Christian and study and practice CLF. I don't bow to Buddha or any of the Eastern deities as taught by some sifus. I am not showing any disrespect, but just don't believe in them. I know of a lot of other Chinese Christian kung-fu practitioners who are of the same thought. Some of them even own some heavy firearms and they will shoot to kill. In a nutshell, I can still be a Christian and practice CLF or kung-fu.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCLFCPA View Post
    I am a Chinese Christian and study and practice CLF. I don't bow to Buddha or any of the Eastern deities as taught by some sifus. I am not showing any disrespect, but just don't believe in them. I know of a lot of other Chinese Christian kung-fu practitioners who are of the same thought. Some of them even own some heavy firearms and they will shoot to kill. In a nutshell, I can still be a Christian and practice CLF or kung-fu.
    shoot to kill christians.

kinda catchy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    oh wait....Choy Lee Fut is a Buddhist art...sorry. LOL
    other wise it would be Choih Lei Jesu; or Choih Lei Allah; or Choih Lei Yaweh (last one is kinda catchy...)

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Thomas,
    As an ordained minister (pentecostal) and having served in Christian ministry for 14 years, perhaps I can help you. As far as the hung mun hand signs are concerned, they are inert unless YOU place credence in them. Accept them as something with a cultural/historical flavor that others may place significance on, but that need not have any meaning to you. They will have no effect on your spiritual life.
    Though you may lose a cultural experience from rejecting them, they have little relevance in learning to defend yourself. If that is the goal of your Chinese martial arts experience.
    I don't believe that my decades of Chinese martial arts study, along with studying the oriental philosophies has had any negative effect on my personal spiritual life.
    Richard
    I am a devout atheist, but can I still get a rousing Ah-men for this?

Quote Originally Posted by HSCLFCPA View Post
    I don't bow to Buddha or any of the Eastern deities as taught by some sifus. I am not showing any disrespect, but just don't believe in them.
    well, Buddha was a real person who basically taught people how to be free of habitual psychological patterns that caused them to do things that brought about suffering; he was basically the Dr. Phil of his day; so what's not to believe there? as for all the quasi-religious trappings of Buddhism, that all came later - the Buddha himself never prescribed any such behavior on the part of anyone who he taught; so one can appreciate and even follow the teachings of Buddha and never once touch on any sort of theistic practice at all

as for Eastern deities, that's fine not to believe (I don't), but one might question the inherent logic of choosing to believe in one deity as opposed to another; once the gates of belief are open, if one has chosen to include a given deity (Yaweh, Allah, Marduk, etc.), then who's to say that their particular belief is the correct one, as opposed to any other? in fact, other than the fact that typically people follow whatever faith they happened to be raised in, most people have no reason to follow a particular faith as opposed to another...

i want to stay away from anything that conflicts with Christianity.
    you mean like logic, reason and textual consistency?