Thread: Are some Qi / Nei Gongs unsafe?

Are some Qi / Nei Gongs unsafe?

I've gotten this question asked me a few times:

If the monks / priests that practiced Qi / Nei Gong were celibate (especially Buddhist, Shaolin, etc), then can these practices cause a person to became sterile or loss their sex drive?

Like, would Shaolin Qi / Nei Gong encourage loss of sex drive, and other physical symptoms that would encourage celibacy and all that would connotate in a monastery?

Somewhere I dimly remember reading something about some men's testicles shrinking from some qi gong practice (or perhaps it was the celibacy that did that?).

Anyone have any info to share about this topic?

And a side topic, there are some qi gong that cause psychosis (skipping all the Falun gong stuff for this topic or we'd be here forever without getting anywhere), such as some Crane Qi Gong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    I've gotten this question asked me a few times:

If the monks / priests that practiced Qi / Nei Gong were celibate (especially Buddhist, Shaolin, etc), then can these practices cause a person to became sterile or loss their sex drive?

Like, would Shaolin Qi / Nei Gong encourage loss of sex drive, and other physical symptoms that would encourage celibacy and all that would connotate in a monastery?

Another way of looking at this question is to ask whether monastic values (i.e. celibacy) drive the qigong practice. I know of no way to verify statements about any neigong resulting in sterility, but the desire to negate the sex drive could be causative in that it would inform the practice and perhaps replace the sexual urge with something as fulfilling.

In tantric practices such as found in the vajrayana of the Nyingma school, celebacy isn't even a requirement except during periods of monastic refuge. The sexual urge is seen as an opportunity for ritual transformation of the mind. Instead of being a stumbling block, a fully functioning sex drive is an asset. Of course, it's not the same in Chan practices.

I expect that cultural phobias regarding the loss of jing have become a part of some qi/nei gong teachings.

jd
    Last edited by jdhowland; 12-18-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Another way of looking at this question is to ask whether monastic values (i.e. celibacy) drive the qigong practice. I know of know way to verify statements about any neigong resulting in sterility, but the desire to negate the sex drive could be causative in that it would inform the practice and perhaps replace the sexual urge with something as fulfilling.

In tantric practices such as found in the vajrayana of the Nyingma school, celebacy isn't even a requirement except during periods of monastic refuge. The sexual urge is seen as an opportunity for ritual transformation of the mind. Instead of being a stumbling block, a fully functioning sex drive is an asset. Of course, it's not the same in Chan practices.

I expect that cultural phobias regarding the loss of jing have become a part of some qi/nei gong teachings.

jd
    Understood.

The dilemma is what if doing monastic neigongs out of context of a monastery where celibacy is required has an effect that is negative on your sex drive or sex hormones?

Taoist (some) and Tantric don't require celibacy, and they contain practices to enhance sexuality.

So, would doing monastic neigong need to have movements adjusted so as to not negatively impact sexual functions.

In some Qing era neigong practices, the practitioners were afraid of nocturnal emissions in their old age and so they developed martial arts and nei gong practices to deal with this. For example, Chang Family Neijia Quan was created by its founder specifically because he had frequent nocturnal emissions and he thought he was going to be drained of energy. What if doing his neigongs was "bad" for you if you were young and needed your virility?
    Most of his neigong was developed from a base in Shaolin practices.

See? Is there a dampening effect on virility in the monastic neigong practices?

It cause be a cause and effect type of thing in some cases.
    Certain practices involve the abstaining of sexual release and at times for a prolonged period of time.
    With some that can lead to lack of desire, as for some it can lead to increase.

Modern medicine warns against certain sexual practice or lackthereof and the sex organ, like any muscle, needs exercise too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

[QUOTE=Sal Canzonieri;972513]
    Somewhere I dimly remember reading something about some men's testicles shrinking from some qi gong practice (or perhaps it was the celibacy that did that?).QUOTE]

This is actually a common medical complaint in Japan (perhaps elsewhere in Asia, as well). Years ago I wrote a paper for a medical anthropology class on this and other culture-bound medical disorders. I no longer have those notes but the interesting thing is that this "disease" doesn't seem to exist outside of Asia.

My take on this is that the (perceived) disorder results from the traditional pressures to produce male offspring in Confucian societies. Lacking male heirs, you fail your ancestors and are doomed to be a forgotten soul. Economic and nutritional stresses aggravate the disorder. I wonder if there are any studies about how much "shrinkage" occurs, or if they simply take the patient's word for it. If it can be verified, it would support the idea of neigong producing the same psychosomatic result.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Yes and No.

It will not harm a sexual drive, in fact it will strengthen it if you let it, but if celibacy is what you are after, it can help with that as well.

To get into more depth, Sexual energy is a type of energy, and more specifically, it is a very powerful type of energy. It is so powerful in fact that it must be let out in some way or another. There are a lot of ways to let it out. Sexual activity is a great way for married couples (although outside of marriage it doesn't seem to work in the same way.). You can also let this out through a few other ways, chi practices, prayer, community service, and the list goes on. Just as celibate priests pray and tend to report that when they pray, living celibate seems to be no challenge, while it seems almost impossible when their prayer life is lacking, celibate monks who practice qi gong have the same effect with their qi gong. These are ways to utilize that sexual energy in some positive way. This is also why you may notice a lot of people who do community service report a more fulfilling life. They have a positive way to use that sexual energy.

For a married man or woman, there is no need to worry about it decreasing a sexual drive. The river of sexual energy is seemingly endless. On the other hand qi gong can allow you to better open up that river and let it flow more strongly, so in fact, if you have an output, like relations with a spouse, qi gong will enhance a sexual drive.

So simply put, qi gong can help with celibacy, but it could also strengthen a sexual drive, but it will not harm a wanted sexual drive. Nor will chi do harm to your body unless you are some how screwing up your practices, and even in those circumstances, it typically comes in chest pains and heart attacks and other torso related issues... not issues in the groin area.