Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who is the better fighter?

Consider the classic standoff between an old man and a young man (both MAs.) It's quite obvious the young man has better physique. Does this guarantee a win?

My Tai Ji instructor had two simple sayings. The first one was "Age and treachery will beat youth and skill." In other words, physical fitness and resource availability are not the only deciding factors in conflict. The old man has a chance, perhaps a better chance than the youth expects.

The second saying was "Old masters fear the elbows of youth." Again, just because someone is cunning and treacherous doesn't mean they can't be caught off guard with a devastating hit from a strong, aggressive opponent. So the young man also has a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    who is the better fighter of two individuals that train in a basic similar manner and method, yet one gets into many fights through out his lifetime and the other does not get involved with a single one... who is more skilled in fighting?
    Fighting is but one facet of conflict resolution. I'd say the person who gets into lots of fights may develop more physical prowess, skill and experience, but the person who stays out of fights may develop more nonviolent skills of conflict resolution - perhaps by talking, or seeing possible conflicts ahead of time and avoiding them, or manipulating circumstances to minimize the chances of violence.

If the fighter doesn't know how to make peace when they have to, and the peacemaker doesn't know how to fight when they have to, though... then they both still have stuff to train.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 11-30-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Fighting sucks cause **** like this happens !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The one who gets into more fights will be more comfortable in a fight situation and less likely to suffer the adrenaline dump and freeze... whether he is a more skilful fighter or not is another matter
    This man should get the cigar. The none fighter doesn't fight for a reason. The fighter gets into many fights because he is not afraid to fight. Fighting does not enhance your skills as such, but it will allow you to apply learned skills. A person that is perfectly willing to fight will be more able to apply himself, to where the none fighter might have some inhabitions that would not allow him to express himself in such a violent manner. Even if the none fighter shows more actual skill than the fighter, he still will not have the same drive to fight as the fighter. Being that he has fought many times before, he will have far fewer inhabitions toward violence.

LCP

Fighting lets you do cols **** like this :

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Fighting sucks cause **** like this happens !!
    i find this highly offensive... why did you have to present an image of a colored man being destroyed in a fight? they have international laws against this stuff... you just wait until i can afford a good lawyer... i will have the whole of africa on the stand tesifying against the use of this picture.

i find this highly offensive... why did you have to present an image of a colored man being destroyed in a fight? they have international laws against this stuff... you just wait until i can afford a good lawyer... i will have the whole of africa on the stand tesifying against the use of this picture.
    I don't know what you see, but see a black man attacking the fist of an asian man with his Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't know what you see, but see a black man attacking the fist of an asian man with his Jaw.
    LOL. nice.

I would say the fighter who had fights would have more practical experience, while the one who never got into a fight is probably the smarter person by avoiding the fights in the first place.

He said colored man
    I loves me some Uki
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    He said colored man
    saying black man is false advertisement.
    I loves me some Uki
    doesn't me i am holding the inside of your front pocket advertising being game with the down-low, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by fa_jing View Post
    The one who never got in a fight, he has never lost a single fight.
    you're a sneaky little thing...

no. your mind think too much.
    No, just trying to point out that the question itself is pointless.

It's like the sports announcers talking about who will win the football game based on who won the video game when the computer played it.

Human factors can't be quantified in a simple question and set of facts....

So, maybe I do think too much....
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    This man should get the cigar. The none fighter doesn't fight for a reason. The fighter gets into many fights because he is not afraid to fight. Fighting does not enhance your skills as such, but it will allow you to apply learned skills. A person that is perfectly willing to fight will be more able to apply himself, to where the none fighter might have some inhabitions that would not allow him to express himself in such a violent manner. Even if the none fighter shows more actual skill than the fighter, he still will not have the same drive to fight as the fighter. Being that he has fought many times before, he will have far fewer inhabitions toward violence.

LCP
    That's presumes that the "non fighter" has not fought by choice and not from a lack of oppourtunity. What if the non fighter has no qualms about fighting, but just has never had the chance to do so?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    That's presumes that the "non fighter" has not fought by choice and not from a lack of oppourtunity. What if the non fighter has no qualms about fighting, but just has never had the chance to do so?
    Then he probably hasnt been training with other martial artists. If you do you will eventually always have an opportunity to fight, be it at the least through competition.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Fighting does not enhance your skills as such, but it will allow you to apply learned skills.
    I wouldn't say thats entirely true. Applied knowledge allows your body to better retain abilities. Working out with a partner is fine, but the actual act of fighting involves much more, and your body and brain will remember how to properly act in this situation and if you act improperly, it will allow you to make a conscious effort to change this in the next situation.

So basically I'm saying, it would definitely enhance your skills.

I know once upon a time I always pulled my punches, because of my lack of actual fighting experience and the BS way my school "Sparred". This carried over even into my first smoker years ago

I am the better fighter. That is all.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust