Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
On a side note, Fujiwara deserves some mention. He was not really a kyokushin guy, though he had a shodan in sh!to ryu and trained under Kurosaki, who was in that first group of kyokushin guys who lost and also created Mejiro gym (and thus gave birth to Dutch Muay Thai). Kurosaki trained muay thai in thailand and gained an intimate knowledge of the style.

The funny thing to me about the superiority complex kung fu guys have regarding muay thai (especially ring muay thai) is that kung fu didn't fare well against muay thai even back in the day, check out those fights from the 20s...

The few guys who can hang with muay thai fighters in the ring, train like ring fighters - with round timers, bags, pads, gloves, and sparring; not with a lot of forms and fancy postures. The techniques that they succeed with tend to be simple strikes & throws, not overly-intricate techniques, crazy stances, or fancy animal shapes. If a guy comes along just doing forms & stances, fights with them, and succeeds; more power to him. but this sense of superiority because muay thai doesn't spend a lot of time with those low percentage training methodologies is friggin ridiculous.
Good points.
Though I often got the feeling that the sense of superiority over Muay Thai in the past among some kung fu stylists (at least overseas) was more often a nationalistic thing, more than it was MT's fewer stances, less if any form work, etc. Although, I do remember years ago reading a Hong Kong kung fu magazine from about the mid-1970s, after the Thais decimated a team from HK. There were some 'reaction articles' featuring some well-known masters who talked about techniques that 'should' beat MT and their 'too few techniques'. Kind of a coulda-shoulda-woulda reaction.