Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin vs. Muay Thai

you think they would have learned after what happened with oyamas guys and lui hailong

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

the challenged parties should just set the rules as a shuai jiao competition
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    you think they would have learned after what happened with oyamas guys and lui hailong
    Most of Oyama's guys got their butt's kicked the frst time around.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    the challenged parties should just set the rules as a shuai jiao competition
    no ethiopian sumo!

"Most of Oyama's guys got their butt's kicked the frst time around.
    they did? i have been lied too!

no ethiopian sumo!

"Most of Oyama's guys got their butt's kicked the frst time around.
    they did? i have been lied too!
    I am pretty sure, of course there were a few trips to Thailand and they did start winning after that first one, because Oyama adopted the MT training methods, prompting some to call Kyokushin "MT with a Gi".

what were the time periods between the first one and then the other trips?

thats a bit odd to all the sudden adopt some technique or training from people who have been doing it for decades then come back and whip their own ass with it

what were the time periods between the first one and then the other trips?

thats a bit odd to all the sudden adopt some technique or training from people who have been doing it for decades then come back and whip their own ass with it
    No one said anything about whipping asses.
    Oyama adapted the MT round kick (low and high) with a slight variation and adapted the knees and elbows.

if we step and you destroy me with your game, then i shadow it and make it mine and come back and hand you your ass with it, proves who the better fighter is.

also shows a good example of success being partially determined by training methods.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No one said anything about whipping asses.
    Oyama adapted the MT round kick (low and high) with a slight variation and adapted the knees and elbows.
    bah! thats it!!! those techniques arent exclusive to mt karate has always had the shin kick and elbows and knees

bah! thats it!!! those techniques arent exclusive to mt karate has always had the shin kick and elbows and knees
    Dude, seriously, that's not the point, it was how they were being trained at the time.
    Shorty after Kurosawa, Oyama's main man, left the Kyokushin and set up Japanese Kickboxing.

i know thats why i was noting with my other post
    its obvious it would be the traning not a super secret kick they picked up

he does have some what of a point though

id rather learn muay thai boran its more complete of a style
    Actually most legit camps have some old bareknuckle techniques still mixed in; for example Sit Yodtong in Thailand is not only one of the top camps for ring muay thai, but their traditional muay thai is spot on as well.
    My gym teaches mae mai muay thai chaiya in addition to ring muay thai.
    I tend to be a bit wary of folks that teach the traditional/bareknuckle muay thai in isolation anymore.

The muay boran most people think of is really just a performance art any more.

Tony Jaa's movie created a whole generation of folks who want to learn "t3h r3@l l33t d3@dly muay thai", which usually ends up only being those techniques that are d@mn near impossible to pull off.

Traditional techniques pay more in muay thai ring fights, so if they were that effective you'd think these starving fighters (who get paid less than boxing or mma fighters get out of bed for) would be pulling these techniques off all the time.

Making bad generalizations about muay thai just coz you read it in a magazine or online somewhere is just as bad as making bad generalizations about kung fu. In this case it's even worse than a lot of the "anti-kung fu bias" you complain about on these boards, because it's done with absolutely no first-hand experience.

You also get knucklheads like this chuckled!ck who makes up some phony bs to discredit "ring muay thai" and then shows a standard muay thai leg kick as some secret "muay boran" technique.

Go with real muay thai from Thailand and you'll have access to as much of the real traditional stuff as you can learn. Go with t3h s3cr3t d3@dly and you're probably going to be taken for a ride. I will say Col Amnat's stuff is pretty good though.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 12-02-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: reorganizing my thoughts
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dude, seriously, that's not the point, it was how they were being trained at the time.
    Shorty after Kurosawa, Oyama's main man, left the Kyokushin and set up Japanese Kickboxing.
    On a side note, Fujiwara deserves some mention. He was not really a kyokushin guy, though he had a shodan in sh!to ryu and trained under Kurosaki, who was in that first group of kyokushin guys who lost and also created Mejiro gym (and thus gave birth to Dutch Muay Thai). Kurosaki trained muay thai in thailand and gained an intimate knowledge of the style.

The funny thing to me about the superiority complex kung fu guys have regarding muay thai (especially ring muay thai) is that kung fu didn't fare well against muay thai even back in the day, check out those fights from the 20s...

The few guys who can hang with muay thai fighters in the ring, train like ring fighters - with round timers, bags, pads, gloves, and sparring; not with a lot of forms and fancy postures. The techniques that they succeed with tend to be simple strikes & throws, not overly-intricate techniques, crazy stances, or fancy animal shapes. If a guy comes along just doing forms & stances, fights with them, and succeeds; more power to him. but this sense of superiority because muay thai doesn't spend a lot of time with those low percentage training methodologies is friggin ridiculous.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Actually most legit camps have some old bareknuckle techniques still mixed in; for example Sit Yodtong in Thailand is not only one of the top camps for ring muay thai, but their traditional muay thai is spot on as well.
    My gym teaches mae mai muay thai chaiya in addition to ring muay thai.
    I tend to be a bit wary of folks that teach the traditional/bareknuckle muay thai in isolation anymore.

The muay boran most people think of is really just a performance art any more.

Tony Jaa's movie created a whole generation of folks who want to learn "t3h r3@l l33t d3@dly muay thai", which usually ends up only being those techniques that are d@mn near impossible to pull off.

Traditional techniques pay more in muay thai ring fights, so if they were that effective you'd think these starving fighters (who get paid less than boxing or mma fighters get out of bed for) would be pulling these techniques off all the time.

Making bad generalizations about muay thai just coz you read it in a magazine or online somewhere is just as bad as making bad generalizations about kung fu. In this case it's even worse than a lot of the "anti-kung fu bias" you complain about on these boards, because it's done with absolutely no first-hand experience.

You also get knucklheads like this chuckled!ck who makes up some phony bs to discredit "ring muay thai" and then shows a standard muay thai leg kick as some secret "muay boran" technique.

Go with real muay thai from Thailand and you'll have access to as much of the real traditional stuff as you can learn. Go with t3h s3cr3t d3@dly and you're probably going to be taken for a ride. I will say Col Amnat's stuff is pretty good though.
    oh i know in thailand its suppsoed to be rare to even find a muay thai boran teacher to begin with

a lot of the thai coaches sucker in yokels into thinking they are teaching them ancient thai boxing when they are just teaching them basic sport mt lol

oh i know in thailand its suppsoed to be rare to even find a muay thai boran teacher to begin with

a lot of the thai coaches sucker in yokels into thinking they are teaching them ancient thai boxing when they are just teaching them basic sport mt lol
    usually it's not anything near as useful as basic sport mt... with the possible exception of the cheesed!ck who's vid i posted...