Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin vs. Muay Thai

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    well of course no one fought out of a horse stance those are used to train in forms not to fight lol
    okay did anybody use any of their forms?
    no
    they threw standard san shou techniques
    san shou != shaolin
    my background is in san shou and i still do it
    this was advertised as "shaolin" but "shaolin" seems to have sent san shou in it's steed; in which case I have absolutely no reason to "cry into my pillow".

Still some really phony bs going on in these fights though; at least the 3 I saw.

I trust the events held in Thailand much more.
    In Thailand, it's not about national interests (as in the case for China), it's all betting interests, which has the odd side effect of evening things out & preventing such favoritism.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

you cant use a form to fight someone bubba LOL

well ill have to watch them myself there were alot of people saying the lui hailong matches with the thai fighters were set up so the thais had some of there tools taken away from them but i sure as hell didnt see what they were talking about

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

so then you're saying shaolin people who only do forms and gungs can't fight?

and yeah, padding up the elbow takes a lot off of it, plus if u watch, the ref only breaks the clinch early if the Thai has the dominant position.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    so then you're saying shaolin people who only do forms and gungs can't fight?

and yeah, padding up the elbow takes a lot off of it, plus if u watch, the ref only breaks the clinch early if the Thai has the dominant position.
    ive never seen or met a person who only did forms

if there are any out there i feel sorry for them

thats bollocks thats like saying padding up the fist takes alot out of it you cans till knock someone down or out with a padded elbow

ive never seen or met a person who only did forms
    if there are any out there i feel sorry for them
    Those guys who fought trained very similar to the Thais, with heavybags, sparring, noncompliant clinch work, and drills. The only differences were in technique and more emphasis on takedown work.
    They did not train compliant partner training, forms, gungs, and iron palm work.
    They did not hold static postures, they did not wake up every morning to do qigong work, nobody pulled off any intricate application from a form, and they did not even work bridging.
    They were san shou guys and I'm intimately familiar with san shou training.
    You're being real cute with semantics, but i promise you that they do not train what anybody would think of as "shaolin".

thats bollocks thats like saying padding up the fist takes alot out of it you cans till knock someone down or out with a padded elbow
    different situation than fists
    you're not as likely to crack a bone throwing a bare elbow as you are with fists
    the range on it's much shorter too
    and yes, some guys will try to end fights on cuts from elbows
    of course, i'm always available for demonstration - you can let me know what feels worse, my padded elbow cracking your skull, or my bare one...

you can let me know what feels worse, my padded elbow cracking your skull, or my bare one...
    Done correctly, you'd probably have to wait for him to wake up both times... might be a moot point, might not.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Those guys who fought trained very similar to the Thais, with heavybags, sparring, noncompliant clinch work, and drills. The only differences were in technique and more emphasis on takedown work.
    They did not train compliant partner training, forms, gungs, and iron palm work.
    They did not hold static postures, they did not wake up every morning to do qigong work, nobody pulled off any intricate application from a form, and they did not even work bridging.
    They were san shou guys and I'm intimately familiar with san shou training.
    You're being real cute with semantics, but i promise you that they do not train what anybody would think of as "shaolin".
    well first off are you certain that they do not train any of this?

different situation than fists
    you're not as likely to crack a bone throwing a bare elbow as you are with fists
    the range on it's much shorter too
    and yes, some guys will try to end fights on cuts from elbows
    of course, i'm always available for demonstration - you can let me know what feels worse, my padded elbow cracking your skull, or my bare one...
    actually ALOT of guys throw elbows soley for the purpose of cutting someone open so i can see why its padded after all its a pretty pathetic way to win a fight

Ti'm always available for demonstration - you can let me know what feels worse, my padded elbow cracking your skull, or my bare one...
    lol easy there killer

wait.. i dont think anyone was saying these guys were from shaolin. didnt shaolin turn down the challenge?

there's just the one guy that they say is a shaolin disciple, but apparently no one ever said he was until after this fight.

doesnt matter though, since they were sanda fighters, not traditionalists in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    wait.. i dont think anyone was saying these guys were from shaolin. didnt shaolin turn down the challenge?

there's just the one guy that they say is a shaolin disciple, but apparently no one ever said he was until after this fight.

doesnt matter though, since they were sanda fighters, not traditionalists in any way.
    exactly i thought another kung fu organization took up the challenge

well first off are you certain that they do not train any of this?
    yes, i've got quite a lot of mainland chinese training footage
    some's even available through martialartsmart.com

yes, i've got quite a lot of mainland chinese training footage
    some's even available through martialartsmart.com
    yes and thats just a bit of theirtraining who knows what they do

yes and thats just a bit of theirtraining who knows what they do
    never been to a fight camp, have yah?

never been to a fight camp, have yah?
    actually i just doubt you know enough about these gentlemen to make the statements you have including your knowledge of all of what they ve studied

watching a few clips doesnt do much

actually i just doubt you know enough about these gentlemen to make the statements you have including your knowledge of all of what they ve studied

watching a few clips doesnt do much
    i'm not talking a few clips, i'm talking first hand video
    my main san shou coach fought san shou in China on tv
    i also used to train with SanHeChuan's coach, who's from Taiwan and fought in China on tv
    both of them have trained over there for varying lengths of time.

but hey, if you think they spent any significant amount of their time doing qigong, forms, compliant partner drills, stance training, bridging, iron palm, or other gungs, don't stop drinking that koolaid.