Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin vs. Muay Thai

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    i'm not talking a few clips, i'm talking first hand video
    my main san shou coach fought san shou in China on tv
    i also used to train with SanHeChuan's coach, who's from Taiwan and fought in China on tv
    both of them have trained over there for varying lengths of time.

but hey, if you think they spent any significant amount of their time doing qigong, forms, compliant partner drills, stance training, bridging, iron palm, or other gungs, don't stop drinking that koolaid.
    yes again im not denying they trained san shou or particularly care if you did san shou or not but you still dont know the extent of the fighters training

i twas a kickboxing match of course theya re going to train kickboxing for it

thats a big duh

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    yes again im not denying they trained san shou or particularly care if you did san shou or not but you still dont know the extent of the fighters training
    i guess if that .00001% of doubt validates your training, then go for it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

uh yeah whatever you say...........

Not sure why I'm still following this story...

...it's a bit sensationalist, but elicited some good discussion here...
    Kung Fu vs Muay Thai
    2009-12-21 14:22

Is Chinese Kung Fu or Muay Thai better?

Chinese Kung Fu supporters will say Kung Fu is profound and invincible; while Muay Thai supporters will say Muay Thai is fast, ruthless and unbeatable.

Which is the strongest then? It is meaningless to boast. It is best to put them on a ring.

And this time, five Muay Thai boxers is going to challenge Chinese Kung Fu.

The contest will be held in Foshan, Guangdong.

xxx

BN and Pakatan Rakyat have long been confronting with each other, digging out one another's weaknesses.

BN said that Pakatan Rakyat's component parties are having their own axes to grind and they are lack of political experience.

Pakatan Rakyat said that there are political deviations in BN's rule. BN is having poor performance and it is unable to unite the people and improve the economy.

They have pointed out the vital points but failed to highlight their own capabilities.

Finally, BN introduced 110 National Key Results Areas (NKRAs) and 240 Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to promote the government's transformation.

To show its sincerity, it showed the public the agendas and plans, inviting the people to give feedback.

Pakatan Rakyat also launched its “Dasar Pakatan Rakyat”, presenting the three parties' common agenda to show that Pakatan Rakyat is having a consistent central idea and a governing idea of compatibility.

In addition, it also showed that Pakatan Rakyat is ready to move towards Putrajaya and become the federal government.

xxx

For martial arts fans, it is worth looking forward to the contest between Chinese Kung Fu and Muay Thai.

Chinese Kung Fu must get rid of the impression of fancied postures and Jackie Chan's gags.

Meanwhile, Muay Thai must also get rid of its rashness.

Both of them have to show their true capabilities to prove their actual strength and values.

More importantly, only with genuine contact, there would be contrast and they can find their own shortcomings to improve their capabilities.

xxx

Malaysian people want BN and Pakatan Rakyat to show their true strength so that the public can choose between them.

BN's strength lies in its governing experience and administrative resources.

From NKRAs and KPIs, BN tries to understand the people's dissatisfaction with the government, as well as the serious problems faced by the country. They identify the deficiencies and try to overcome or improve it.

Pakatan Rakyat's strength lies in its political ideas and the public's expectations on it.

Pakatan Rakyat's platform lists moral power such as political equity, social justice and economic equality.

xxx

Chinese Kung Fu can learn the speed and accuracy of Muay Thai; while Muay Thai can learn the flexibility and energy of Chinese Kung Fu.

BN can learn the valuable ideas of Pakatan Rakyat; while Pakatan Rakyat can learn the ruling experience of BN.

Finally, both the parties may contest on a fair platform and let the people to make the final decision. (By TAY TIAN YAN/Translated by SOONG PHUI JEE/Sin Chew Daily)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Angry

well of course no one fought out of a horse stance those are used to train in forms not to fight lol
    of course some Shaolin Master can use the horse stance to fight!! Were do you read that it can not be used?

PS. about the video i dont think that is the shaolin they use to train everyday in the temple

that is only sanda and sanda is like thai boxing, i guess they had take these sanda moves from the thai land!!

there is that article in the newest issue of this mag about that chinese san shou champion, 30 years in san shou. he talks about doing all that stuff, static postures, qi gongs, forms, all of it.

read it up, its a great article.

of course he trained full time 7 days a week for many years....so, i guess you need side projects, why not make them things that also give an edge to a martial artist.

doing forms beats watching tv any day of the week.

dont believe me? ask a fat american.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks for the plug, Lucas

That's in 30 Years of Sanshou: A Conversation with Chinese National Champion Zhou Lizhong By Emilio Alpanseque in our 2010 January/February issue, on the newsstands now, just in case you're wondering.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I plug you every chance i get

i sure as heck wouldnt want to fight that guy...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ive never seen or met a person who only did forms

if there are any out there i feel sorry for them

thats bollocks thats like saying padding up the fist takes alot out of it you cans till knock someone down or out with a padded elbow
    total bull padding the fist helps as the bones of the hand are small and can break easily so you can hit harder with pads on, elbows in Thai are used to cut as well as knock out and padding takes away the cut and hitting with the hard bone that is the jarring shot

on a side note is anyone really surprised that chinese officals were cheating in china based competition?

their is nothing like areguing a stupid point is there

Goju Good god can’t you just admit you got owned by pork chop…..you argued for pages he had no idea about how sanda guys actually train in china, and then he produced video proof of how they trained and how his coaches both from the east and pro fighters trained, just admit you are wrong

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    god forbid someone is ever wrong on the interwebs...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

So let me get this straight. The chinese guy wins (the first fight) fighting under Sanda rules, but of course the tradionalists say he is Shaolin. No horse stance, no bridging, decent spinning backfist, but what I saw was simply Sanda vs. Muay Thai. What is it with the whole deception about shi**tty styles putting up Sanda fighters and than claiming them as their own. I understand the concept, it is to legitimize their style as producing good fighters. But Sanda, even though any chinese style using freestyle or full contact can be associated with it, has become more of it's own style and does not need Shaolin or any other sheep herding art to make it legitimate. More BS propaganda.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    there is that article in the newest issue of this mag about that chinese san shou champion, 30 years in san shou. he talks about doing all that stuff, static postures, qi gongs, forms, all of it.

read it up, its a great article.

of course he trained full time 7 days a week for many years....so, i guess you need side projects, why not make them things that also give an edge to a martial artist.

doing forms beats watching tv any day of the week.

dont believe me? ask a fat american.
    i've done a healthy amount of that stuff as well
    and i go back to it on occasion when i'm burnt out on more pure fighting stuff
    but on the same token, that's the first stuff to disappear when i'm training for a fight
    (the stances & forms more than the pure breathing exercises)

EDIT: There IS a sanshou "form" that my one of my coaches has taught me, but it's more of a really long combo that's used for grading/ranking purposes.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

EDIT: There IS a sanshou "form" that my one of my coaches has taught me, but it's more of a really long combo that's used for grading/ranking purposes.
    that seems to be kind of the norm, usually a form developed by the coach themselves. although from what ive seen its not what most people picture as a form.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    total bull padding the fist helps as the bones of the hand are small and can break easily so you can hit harder with pads on, elbows in Thai are used to cut as well as knock out and padding takes away the cut and hitting with the hard bone that is the jarring shot

on a side note is anyone really surprised that chinese officals were cheating in china based competition?
    you can still knock someone senseless with a padded elbow

you cant cut them true but thats a good thing