Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Shaolin vs. Muay Thai

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Can't find anything about training at Shaolin in his bio:

http://baike.baidu.com/view/1916700.htm

Just says he started with forms and then later moved on to Sanda. I found some other links say he trained at 河南少林塔沟武术学院 "Shaolin Tagou Wushu Academy". Basically he's on a regular Sanda team. Schools like that are divided into forms and Sanda departments.
    Thank you for the info. I guess he did train some form of Shaolin, including forms.

Here is the low-down on his school.

It is a shaolin area school, the head coach is Liu Haike.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Looks pricey.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Looks pricey.
    Needs a webpage designer.

But, yeah, some considerable money is going into that school. I don't have time to thoroughly research it today but I expect state involvement in a project of that scale.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I guess he did train some form of Shaolin, including forms.
    which I doubt had much to do w developing the glorified kickboxing skill set he demonstrated here...

Some of the guys that I train with used to train at Tagou. It's the biggest wushu school in Dengfeng, Henan.

"Traditional" taolu are taught in China as a form of Physical Education and very rarely taught in a traditional manner. If he had studied any taolu at all at Tagou, he probably knows a version of Qixingquan. But even then, he would only know the movements.

One of the sanda guys that I train with studied taolu at Tagou for 3 years, and was asking me for the applications for well known forms like Xiaohongquan. That's certainly an indication of what kind training students there get.

And there are lots of "Ex-Shaolin disciples" floating around. I'm not sure if that even means anything now.

And the price...nearly every wushu school in China that I've encountered has an incredibly inflated imagination when it comes to how much their training is worth. Schools are also becoming increasing resistant to bargaining with foreigners. When people looking to train full-time ask for suggestions as to where to train, I usually suggest that Japan is now possibly cheaper to train in full-time.

If you wanna wear a brand name, you have to pay for it with money.

If you want to develop real skill, you still have to pay, but the price is time and effort.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

anyone notice that this fighting looked nothing like the authentic sparring HW made a thread about, strange how when contact is really made people tend to not look like that monk looked in that thread..........

I am very impressed with HW108's cognitive dissonance threshold; he had absolutely no problem jumping on the love train for Patterson shifu even though the footage of those students looked suspiciously like the repetitively derided "glorified kickboxing".

Got any links to footage of the "Taiwan Blood Bath"?
    "The training was designed to 4 of my students to fight in the full contact tournament in Taiwan, which is bare knuckle. The rules in Taiwan were simple, you could use ground work, low kicks, take downs, etc. I had approximately 3 years to produce winners. I taught them a type of iron hand that required boiling in medicine; being able to fight full contact with just a mouth guard and a cup. They were celibate for the period of training, (or supposed to be). They could run 5 miles or more each day and do knuckle push-ups on gravel ヨ anything. I taught them body conditioning so they could take a punch and how to deal with strikes anywhere on their body. The rules used in Taiwan were simple and few at that time. An example of the first time, held two fighters were killed. Some papers in Asia billed it as the Taiwanese blood bath. The times that my four were challenged before hand, they never lost. The bouts were three, 3 minute rounds and you could even throw a man out of the ring. It was brutal and the injuries were staggering! There is a lot more to training with those four sets that I have not gone into, and I wonメt. I will not teach anyone ever again like those four. First, I do not think there is anyone with that dedication to go through it, and it is a brutalizing experience for the fighters. There also are things that I taught them, that I wouldnメt trust to anyone now. The two last sets have things that should stay with only those four and no one else. The movements are definitely not to be used for sport. There is no other than those four that know how it really works as the sets were designed for them only and so no one could work out anything dangerous without the knowledge from me or one of mine. Two have not done them for years, one is dead ヨ that leaves Mike and myself. We are the only two left that have any knowledge of how they really work. The sets themselves need to have with them the knowledge that is visible and were passed on by me and written by Mike. They are ours to determine what happens to them and cannot be bought. They are a precursor to learning the Pak Mei as I was taught and only the few ever learn. My style as the great teacher Cheung Lai-Chun practiced will not be for sale and if only one tode learns it, it will not die. It lasted many years in China when names of boxing were not used and will continue long after my death and my todes are gone. This is the real proof of a real art, that it will exist long after the founders are gone."
    (http://www.pakmei.net/articles/article.asp?ID=16)
    Last edited by Faruq; 08-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man