Thread: Shaolin Temple Los Angeles

Shaolin Temple Los Angeles

I was wondering if anyone here attends this school.

I checked out their website site. It appears a little different from the Shaolin Temple UK. Which I have been to.

I thought it was a little pricey. The actual fees seemed about in line with other schools however I noticed there is also a $5 daily temple donation. That adds up if you're there 4-5 days a week!

i thought the same thing when i saw that. not sure about how expensive the city is, but its all excessive.

the cheapest rate is $100 for four classes per month, at one or two hours per session? get real. plus annual fees, quarterly ceremony and certification fees, and a required daily "donation"? and a uniform that costs $155? you can get them for like $10 in china. and no orange bag is worth $40.

with all that, i dont care how much rent and utilities are or who's teaching, i would spend the money elsewhere. most schools that find every little thing to tack a fee onto are just trying to make money, rather than help people.

Just for the record...

...are we talking about this Shaolin Temple Los Angeles?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...are we talking about this Shaolin Temple Los Angeles?
    Yes

Apparently I just can't type "yes". I got a message telling me my reply was to short......so yes, yes, yes and yes!

Try the 少林寺文化中心。(Shaolin Temple Cultural Center) Just a little east of Downtown LA.

9143 La Rosa Dr,
    Temple City, CA 91780

I've been training there for over 2 years and remain very happy with it. I think for about the same price you get 8 classes a month. The uniforms are much cheaper nor necessarily mandatory.

I feel it is more then worth it considering the level of instruction.

You can practice both traditional and more modern wushu stylings.

the head instructor Shi Yan Xu:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evuojk8G-M8

Rou Quan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rin1gJ4CaK0

There will be a small celebration this Saturday.
    http://www.shaolinus.org/Home/tabid/...S/Default.aspx
    Last edited by wenshu; 12-09-2009 at 03:45 PM.

well, that one i would probably recommend, although i havent been there. i know shi yanxu has great skills and is a very kind person.

Yanxu in Charlotte?

Is this the same Yanxu? What or who is Yandong?

Shattering myths
    Kung fu masters aim to break through modern notions of martial art
    By Karen Sullivan
    ksullivan@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Friday, Sep. 17, 2010

The Yandong Shaolin Kung Fu Troupe plans two 10-week, 45-minute classes on Saturdays, Sept. 18 through Nov. 20 at Pfeiffer University, 4701 Park Road.

Setting goals for better health isn't what comes to mind when you're watching the Yandong Shaolin Kung Fu Troupe in action.

The gravity-defying moves and chiseled formations seem more the stuff of Hollywood legends - maneuvers for street-fighting warriors or animated kung fu pandas facing down renegades gone wild.

Those modern notions are what brought the four monks to Charlotte - to create a more realistic understanding of their 1,500-year-old art form through martial arts performances and classes.

The monks will lead two classes that start Saturday at the year-old Confucius Institute at Pfeiffer University on Park Road.

There will be plenty of room to have fun, but the script in this kung fu program really is about fitness.

"The classes are mainly for mental and physical health," said Weihong Yan, director of the Confucius Institute and a Chinese language professor at Pfeiffer.

Of course, having Chinese-born kung fu masters share the ancient traditions also could help create better appreciation for Chinese culture in a broader sense.

That is the goal of the 328 Confucius Institutes, affiliates of a Beijing-based public institution called Hanban that has ties to the Chinese Ministry of Education.

The institutes are designed to help boost the economic reform that China began in the 1970s as it shifts to a market economy.

The institutes support Chinese language programs in primary and secondary schools. They also act as a resource for business owners in China and other countries that want to expand their markets.

Affiliates operate in more than 82 countries and regions, including more than 70 in the United States.

The Confucius Institute opened at Pfeiffer in 2009 and became the third in the Carolinas. Others operate at N.C. State University in Raleigh and the University of South Carolina in Columbia.

Ultimately, the institute in Charlotte hopes to open a kung fu center and bring six additional masters for martial arts classes and a traveling performance show, Yan said.

The classes that start Saturday will help gauge interest in a center.

Yan expects that participation in the classes will be solid because training courses with Chinese masters are rare in the United States.

He expects young adults will be most interested in the classes, but children as young as 5 can begin training with the masters.

"China has been closed for centuries," Yan said. "It's an important cultural exchange between two countries."
    Details: pfeifferci.org/news or 704-879-1659.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Last I heard the only Shaolin Temple Cutural Center associated monk out east is Shi Yan Yu in VA for the forthcoming D.C. area temple. Yan Xu is still in L.A.