Thread: The Roots of Tai Shan Crushes the Top

The Roots of Tai Shan Crushes the Top

Crushes the top is a famous movement of our style.
    But why Tai Mountain? Surely there are other famous of big mountians.

For example, there is the famous Mountain of Five Elements used to hold the Monkey King, Sun Wukong, as a prisoner for five hundred years.

There are the famous Kun Lun mountains as well as many others.

In this months article, besides discussing the technique itself, I explore the history of Tai Mountain and what makes it such a famous mountain.

This was inspired by an old Master of Tong Bi that I had met in Brasil (originally from Shanxi province). He spends his retirement teaching kung fu and researching the history of names of techniques.

Often the names tell us not only the mindset, but interesting stories.

Crushes the Top

hold the diu sau

on his initial attack- don't release the diu sau with your left on his left wrist- commit to the chop with your right and force him to block with his right (he shouldn't be able to block and counter) - unless you release- he can't counter with a shot to the solar plexus- change your chopping hand into a pluck (I don't speak chinese) fire your left at his face- (maintain the grasp with your right as your left streaks towards his face your right pulls his blocking arm towards you) he blocks again- you sink- release your right and fire it into his ribs.

Tai sa na ding - smash like you did in your photo, if he blocks
    Yi ming jit tong - control and strike straight to his face, if he blocks
    Ha fu gou cha - sink and steal his heart

There is no counter when dealing with a 7* mantis man, he should always control the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    on his initial attack- don't release the diu sau with your left on his left wrist-
    I tried to show that in the picture where I chop his neck.

The following picture is actually a different scenario, one where he blocked with one hand.

I did not show all the possible variations, such as the one you mentioned. But maybe next time I will do so.

These pics were taken by my 9 year old son who has no camera experience.

But he had fun.
    K

He is nine already??!?!?!?!? God time flies by!
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Crushes the top is a famous movement of our style.
    But why Tai Mountain? Surely there are other famous of big mountians.

For example, there is the famous Mountain of Five Elements used to hold the Monkey King, Sun Wukong, as a prisoner for five hundred years.

There are the famous Kun Lun mountains as well as many others.

In this months article, besides discussing the technique itself, I explore the history of Tai Mountain and what makes it such a famous mountain.

This was inspired by an old Master of Tong Bi that I had met in Brasil (originally from Shanxi province). He spends his retirement teaching kung fu and researching the history of names of techniques.

Often the names tell us not only the mindset, but interesting stories.

Crushes the Top
    Actually I believe because the Tai Mountan is associated with 水滸傳 "Water Margin" - Outlaws of the Marsh. Which a lot of the Mantis systems techniques have interchanged the names from that historical period, as well as a lot of other systems have used certain themes from that period as well.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Recalling from memery, it was Liang Shan, or Liang Mountain.

A mountain useful in that it was surounded my marshes making it difficult to enter except for several points guarded by tavern owners.

Yea, it was Mount Liang. Wrong novel lol...
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Ok, so I asked my Sifu this question;

His answer was Tai Shan was a famous Mountain in Shandong, Province. Thus the area where Wong Long was from, so he said that's the reason for this.

May not be so simple, but adds a little to the topic.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Greetings,

My sense of it:

Just think of seeing a very high mountain in your environment, something that your village has seen for hundreds of years, suddenly MOVE. It would completely freak you out.

The attack must must be delivered unexpectedly with sudden, absolute, accelerant power, like a boulder rolling down from the highest mountain; yet with the spiritual detachment to take full advantage of the gates that open in response to such an attack. The attack is ruthless, unapologetic; yet pure. It offers your opponent no opportunity to think.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-31-2010 at 09:17 AM.