Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gina Carano

It's all about Rousey vs. Carano

I feel ya, Syn7. But in terms of the biz, Dana is gonna push for that title match. That's where the payout is...at least, for Dana.

Screeeeeech! New report slams the brakes on Gina Carano's UFC deal
    By Jesse Holland  @Jesse_Holland on Jul 14 2014, 9:36am

Gina Carano to UFC? Not just yet ...

Gina Carano can be a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter, or she can be a Hollywood action star.

But can she be both?

That depends on whether or not Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White can convince the studio that "Conviction" can still be the belle of the box office, even if she gets smashed by UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.

From Bleacher Report's Jeremy Botter:

Gina Carano to the UFC is not as much of a lock as I thought it was yesterday. Movie conflicts. Studio has to sign off. Studio worried that losing to Ronda will hurt Gina's action hero allure. Not to say it won't get done. Just that more forces are at play than just Dana negotiating with her agent. Not as simple.
    White is expected to meet with the former Strikeforce attraction later this week and has promised UFC fans he's going to get the f---ing deal done. But how marketable would she be to producers if several million fight fans watch her surrender to "Rowdy" in the main event of a UFC pay-per-view (PPV)?

Or even worse, an unheralded up-and-comer?

Losing to Cris Cyborg over five years ago didn't seem to hurt her box office muscle, but it was a different sport back in 2009 with different levels of visibility (like FOX). Rousey, too, is doing work on the silver screen and since these gals are not in high demand for romantic comedies or British dramadies, audiences need to believe they can kick some ass.

Decisions, decisions.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I like Gina, a lot. But truthfully, I don't see Gina being able to beat Ronda at this point. Even if Gina could still fight at the same level as her peak. Only Dana and Ronda really stand to benefit from such a match, IMO.

I'm inclined to agree, Jimbo

The real battlefield between Gina and Ronda will be at the box office. We'll see how Ronda fares next month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is a little dated

But I didn't want to just leave this hanging.

Dana White: Gina Carano 'hardest human being we've ever dealt with'
    Damon Martin
    FOX Sports

SEP 25, 2014 8:42p ET
    FREDERIC J. BROWN / AFP

It looks like Gina Carano won't be fighting in the UFC after all.

For the last few months, former Elite XC and Strikeforce fighter Gina Carano has been in negotiations to sign with the UFC and face women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey for her first fight.

UFC president Dana White started contract discussions with Carano and her team earlier this year and it seemed with each passing event he got more and more confident that a deal would get done.

And then the bottom fell out.

According to White, the negotiations with Carano have come to a halt and won't likely pick up again any time soon.

"The hardest human being we've ever dealt with and I didn't see it coming," White said about trying to sign Carano. "I don't know, we'll see how these things play out. Just incredibly difficult. We've dealt with (Brock) Lesnar, Tito (Ortiz), Chuck (Liddell) was f--king king of the world, Ronda Rousey, we've pretty much done deals with everyone on Earth and she is the hardest f--king athlete we have ever dealt with."

White doesn't hold ill will towards Carano personally, but believes she's allowing her managers to run the show with the negotiations and that's where things went south permanently when trying to bring her to the UFC.

While no door is ever closed permanently when it comes to a free agent signing with the UFC, White appears to be hammering at least a few nails in this coffin for now.

"The problem is she allows herself to be handled by these Hollywood f--king idiots. It's absolutely crazy. We've had all the biggest superstars in the world. You're talking about a girl who hasn't fought in a while. Any time you deal with anyone in f--king Hollywood it's a joke. It's literally a joke, it's comical. You feel like you're in a 'Saturday Night Live' skit," White said. "This can't be f--king real. In dealing with her people, I don't know if it can be done."

As negotiations were ongoing with Carano's representatives, White bowed out and allowed UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta to handle negotiations. Things got so bad at one point, however, that even Fertitta gave up.

"I'm going to tell you what Lorenzo (Fertitta) said to me -- he said whatever you do, if you want this fight to happen, do not talk to her manager," White said. "That's what Lorenzo said to me. He said 'you will f--king go crazy, you will lose your mother----ing mind. If you want this to happen, please don't call this guy.' A few days ago Lorenzo was like 'it's probably time for you to call this guy.' That's how bad it's been. I'll leave it at that."

White didn't want to give details in terms of what slowed down the process but it didn't sound like a financial dispute over money for the contract. Either way, whatever the problems were that persisted, don't expect to see Carano in the UFC any time soon.
    Maybe Gina is just smart. If Dana can get one more fight out of Gina, it's all about Carano vs. Rousey. And Gina will be outgunned there. She's out of practice, hasn't fought since Carano vs. Cyborg and that was half a decade ago. She'd be nuts to step in the cage with Rousey now. Besides, she's living the Hollywood life. Can ya blame her?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Remember Gina?

She may not have been as good a fighter as Rousey or Holm, but she's still my fav.

Plus I need to add some new movie projects:
    Heist
    Extraction
    Kickboxer Vengeance (Kickboxer remake)

MMA star, actress visits Fort Leonard Wood
    November 25, 2015
    By Mrs. Martha Yoshida (Leonard Wood)

After spending years to gain acceptance as a female in the world of mixed martial arts, Gina Carano, now an actress, was put to a different test when she recently visited Fort Leonard Wood last month in preparation for her next possible movie role.

"I was introduced to acting one week after I lost my first MMA fight," Carano said. "I welcomed the break. I had just spent years and years in gyms and in fights and dealing with promoters and the public's complete confusion of females being accepted in this world of MMA. No female had gotten to the level I had. There was no path; just a ton of shrubbery, and I was the first to get hit hard."

While Carano still trains every day and considers mixed martial arts an important aspect of her life, she is eager to continue to expand her acting career.

"I came to visit Fort Leonard Wood through my producer friends, Caspian Tredwell-Owen and Jasmine Reid," Carano said.

Tredwell-Owen is the writer/director for "Island," "Beyond Borders," "Stardust," and "Profile of a Killer," while Reid produced "Stuck Between Stations" and "Into Temptation."

"We are doing research for a possible movie about a Soldier returning home from war," said Carano, a Dallas County, Texas, native. "We wanted to observe and participate in Soldiers' everyday lives and hear their stories."

Tredwell-Owen added, "I wanted to prep Gina for playing the role of a battle-scarred Soldier returning from Afghanistan by immersing her in the experience she would have gone through in training, the bonds she would have made and the hardships endured. We also wanted to gain insight on the experience of female Soldiers versus male; to discover differences, if any."

The 1st Engineer Brigade accepted the challenge to provide Carano, who is best known for her roles in "Haywire," "Fast and Furious 6," and "Deadpool," with a glimpse of military life.

Carano's first day started at 5:30 a.m. as she joined more than 800 engineer Soldiers for a battalion run.

"I had never seen anything like it," she said. "They put me right in the front, behind the flag holders. It all felt very surreal."

"I loved the sound and the beat of all the Soldiers' feet and voices going together as one during cadence," Carano added. "The cadence called 'When My Granny,' struck a chord, because my grandma is pretty hardcore, too."

"Now, whenever I run, I think about my left foot and the grandma that we sang about," she said.

After the run, a Soldier explained to Carano that members of the Army do more before 9 a.m. than most people do all day, and with that, Carano headed out to the Confidence Course where combat engineers were training.

"I looked at the course and thought there is no way I'm going to do this," she said, as she confessed she had a fear of heights. "My whole body was shaking on every one of the height obstacles."

Following a stop at the basic rifle marksmanship range, Carano rounded out her 16-hour day patrolling with Sapper Leader Course Soldiers.

It was an adventure to watch sleep-deprived Soldiers work together to solve problems to complete their mission, Carano said.

Sapper Leader Course cadre showed Carano how to apply a tourniquet, heat up an MRE (meal ready to eat) and sling on a 90-pound ruck sack.

"I tried on some of the ruck sacks and realized that this is what these men and women have been carrying for days," she said. "I was just glad I had been doing my squats, so I could stand up with the ruck sack on and walk around for a few minutes."

The second day of Carano's visit provided additional introductions to combat skills training with a visit to the weapons simulator, bridging operations and more time in the rainy woods to observe breaching operations with the Engineer Basic Officer Leader Course.

Having missed out on dinner the night before, Carano graciously accepted a home-cooked spaghetti dinner, which was made by a military spouse.

Carano took time out to show respect to fallen engineers by visiting the Engineer Memorial Grove.

The third day of her visit wrapped up with a tour of the barracks and a stop at the post combatives training facility.

"Gina seemed down-to-earth and very eager to learn what she could about Soldiers in the military," said Sgt. 1st Class Phillip Rhoades, 1st Engineer Brigade, operations noncommissioned officer in charge. "Gina was not afraid to face her fears and participate in some of the obstacles on the obstacle course, or to put in a 16-hour day observing training to better understand the life of Soldiers. She never hesitated to ask questions. She was hungry for knowledge for this role."

Carano was motivated by the entire experience.

"I wish more people would get to have the experience I did," Carano said. "I will hold this experience close to me for a lifetime."

Tredwell-Owen added, "Our visit illuminated the personal side of military life, the level of commitment, conscience and faith in purpose that is required not only to succeed, but survive in a combat environment."

Carano looks forward to preparing for her future role and said she was most inspired by the sense of purpose that was demonstrated during her visit.

"There's something you have when you do something like this with your life that I respect more than anything else, and that is, you live your lives with purpose. Each person I met at Fort Leonard Wood walked, talked, laughed and marched with purpose. And by hearing all of your stories as to what that purpose is, all I can say is thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to you all."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still the sexiest and classiest female fighter I know.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A nice overview of Gina so far...

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight
    BY BLAIR MARNELL ON JANUARY 26, 2016

Take a look back at all the different Gina Carano movies.

Before she takes on Deadpool, we’re looking back at all the Gina Carano movies and TV shows!

Long before Ronda Rousey became a MMA crossover sensation in film, Gina Carano paved the way. Carano established herself as an MMA superstar and slowly made her transition into acting. Admittedly, Carano’s early films were more notable for her fighting skills than her acting, but she’s shown considerable improvement across an increasingly diverse range of projects.

Next month, Carano will be portraying Angel Dust in the Deadpool movie, a lesser known character from Marvel’s comic book universe. But because Angel Dust is one of the main antagonists in Deadpool, it could considerably raise Carano’s profile again.

Before Deadpool opens on February 12, ComingSoon.net has assembled a retrospective of her Hollywood career to date. And it looks like 2016 is going to be a good year for Carano!

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Fight Girls (2007)

Fight Girls is one of the early Gina Carano movies.

Imagine if the Oxygen network attempted to ape Spike’s “The Ultimate Fighter” by making a reality show following female MMA fighters. That actually happened nine years ago, when “Fight Girls” made its debut. But the series only lasted a single season.

Carano was one of the mentors on the show, and “Fight Girls” turned out to be her first Hollywood credit. And despite the early end of the show, “Fight Girls” still looks better on her resume than her two years on NBC’s “American Gladiators” revival.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Blood and Bone (2008)

Blood and Bone is another of the early Gina Carano movies.

It takes a certain amount of ambition to attempt to make the leap from MMA to movies. Blood and Bone was Carano’s first film, and she wasn’t alone. Fellow MMA fighters Bob Sapp, Kimbo Slice, and Maurice Smith were also in the cast that was headlined by Michael Jai White.

Carano only had a small role in this direct-to-video film, but at least her character’s name was memorable: Veretta Vendetta.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Haywire (2011)

Haywire was one of the Gina Carano movies that really got the star noticed.

Haywire is the movie that really got people to notice Carano. Despite Carano’s relative lack of experience, director Steven Soderbergh put her in the film’s leading role as ex-Marine Mallory Kane and essentially built the film around Carano’s fighting abilities. Carano did most of her own stunts when facing off against a much more established supporting cast, including Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Bill Paxton, Channing Tatum, and Antonio Banderas.

Haywire’s staging was impressive and Carano’s action sequences were highly praised. However, some critics were not as high on Carano’s acting abilities and they weren’t shy about saying so.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Fast & Furious 6 (2013)

The Gina Carano movies list includes her role in Fast and Furious 6.

Prior to landing Deadpool, Fast & Furious 6 was Carano’s biggest movie to date. She played Riley Hicks, the right-hand woman of DSS agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) and Carano had very memorable fight scenes with Michelle Rodriguez’s Letty Ortiz.

For reasons that become clear in the movie, Carano won’t be back for any further Fast & Furious sequels… which is a shame. If certain facts hadn’t come to light during Fast & Furious 6, Letty’s fight with Ronda Rousey’s Kara in Furious 7 could have been the dream MMA match that we’ll never see: Carano vs. Rousey.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: In the Blood (2014)

The Gina Carano movies list continues with In the Blood.

While In the Blood once again put Carano in the leading role, it felt like a step backwards after Haywire and Fast & Furious 6. In this film, Carano played Ava, a woman who attempted to find her husband, Derek (Cam Gigandet), after he went missing during their honeymoon in the Caribbean.

But In the Blood was a very low-budget, direct-to-video film that was barely seen. And the critics who did see it had nothing good to say about it.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Almost Human (2014)

Almost Human is another of the many Gina Carano movies.

Fox’s short-lived sci-fi series “Almost Human” gave Carano her first TV gig as an actress. She played Danica, an out of control military grade android who gave John Kennex (Karl Urban) and his android partner, Dorian (Michael Ealy), more than they could handle. But it was only a one-shot guest spot and the series was over a few episodes later.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Heist (2015)

The list of Gina Carano movies also includes Heist.

When tracking Carano’s career, it appears that her progression actually went backwards. She was starring in theatrical films and then somehow she fell back into direct-to-video movies. Heist continued her DTV adventures, but at least she was surrounded by a surprisingly impressive cast including Robert De Niro, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Dave Bautista, Morris Chestnut, and Kate Bosworth.

But if you’re checking out Heist solely for Carano, feel free to skip this one. She only has a small role as a cop in this movie.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Extraction (2015)

Extraction was one of the more recent Gina Carano movies.

In Extraction, Carano had third billing after Bruce Willis and Kellan Lutz, but the movie was a bomb even by direct-to-video standards. The story revolved around Harry (Lutz), a CIA agent rejected for field work who embarked on an unsanctioned mission to rescue his dad, Leonard (Willis).

This film was given a limited release in theaters last month, where it earned just over $16,000. That kind of says it all, doesn’t it?
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Deadpool (2016)

Deadpool is one of the Gina Carano movies that we can't wait to see.

Deadpool represents a big opportunity for Carano to regain some of the momentum of her earlier career. The early buzz on the film is that it could be a strong mid-level performer for 20th Century Fox, despite Deadpool’s relatively unknown status outside of comic book fandom.

In a way, it’s fitting that Carano is playing Angel Dust, a character so obscure that even Marvel fans barely have an idea about who she is! Angel Dust was created for the short-lived Morlocks comic book series, and then promptly written out of the X-Men related titles. Her powers include super strength and enhanced speed. For some reason, lines appear on her face when she uses her powers.

For the purposes of the Deadpool film, Angel Dust is being envisioned as the right-hand henchwoman of the villain, Ajax (Ed Skrein). So if nothing else, we should get a Deadpool vs. Angel Dust fight scene.

Gina Carano Movies and TV Spotlight: Kickboxer: Vengeance (2016)

The slate of upcoming Gina Carano movies includes the action sequel Kickboxer Vengeance.

While Deadpool is Carano’s highest profile project in a long time, it’s not her only movie this year. She is also co-starring in Kickboxer: Vengeance, a reboot of the Kickboxer movie from 1989.

Carano is the female lead of Kickboxer: Vengeance, alongside Alain Moussi, Dave Bautista, and original Kickboxer star Jean-Claude Van Damme. Carano is playing a fight promoter named Marcia, but hopefully she’ll get to throw a few punches in the film itself.

I would totally poach this if I make it to that Deadpool screener next week, but I know all of this already. It's all here on our forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina is the lead in this?

Hmm. I must retract the "supporting actress" comment I made on Ronda's thread. My apologies. You go, Gina! Call me, mkay?

Gina Carano has some people to kill in poster for post-apocalyptic action thriller Scorched Earth
    FEBRUARY 9, 2017 BY GARY COLLINSON

The first poster has arrived online for Scorched Earth, the upcoming action thriller from director Peter Howitt (Sliding Doors, Johnny English), which stars Gina Carano as Atticus Gage, a bounty hunting tracking down criminals in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Check it out here, along with the official synopsis…

The planet has suffered an environmental collapse; the air became dangerous to breathe, the water became toxic, and billions of people died. Generations later, mankind has finally re-established a rudimentary society, in an attempt to pick up the pieces that continue to blister in the sun. Gage (Gina Carano) is a bounty hunter and she has a chance at the bounty of a lifetime. She infiltrates a gang of outlaws in order to bring in their leader, and everything is going to plan until she meets a slave girl that reminds her of her dead sister. With her loyalty to only herself now tested, Gage learns that there might be more to life than just survival.

Scorched Earth is slated for release later this year, with Carano starring alongside Ryan Robins, John Hannah, and Dean S. Jagger.
    Also, here's our tardy Deadpool review addition to this thread for archival sake: What the Hell is a DEADPOOL Anyway? by Patrick Lugo and Gene Ching. A bit of a mis-call in retrospect, but we can't always be on point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina Carano

APRIL 07, 2017 3:15pm PT by Borys Kit
    Gina Carano Joins Jason Mewes' Meta Movie 'Madness in the Method' (Exclusive)

By Joe Scarnici/FilmMagic/Getty Images

Mewes is starring in the dark comedy, which he co-wrote and is directing.

MMA champion-turned-actress Gina Carano is wrapping up shooting Madness in the Method, the directorial debut of Jay and Silent Bob actor Jason Mewes.

Described as a “meta movie,” the story is a dark comedy that tells of an actor named Jason Mewes attempting to reinvent himself in Hollywood.

Mewes is starring as himself and co-wrote the script with Christ Anastasi and Dominic Burns. Mewes is also producing with Burns and Rob Weston.

Carano is playing Mewes’ wife in a role that should showcase another side to the actress, who established herself as an action star with movies such as Haywire, Fast and Furious 6 and, more recently, Deadpool.

Among those making appearances in the movie is Mewes’ pal Kevin Smith and Teri Hatcher.

The film’s executive producers include Garry Collins from Red Rock Entertainment.

Shooting is taking place in Los Angeles and Derby, United Kingdom.

Carano is repped by Gersh, Scott Karp of The Syndicate and Ziffren Brittenham.
    Mewes cracks me up. Looking forward to this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just merged a few Gina threads to make this here one...

Gina Carano, star of MMA’s ring and silver screen, on fighting and feminism
    By Carolyne Zinko September 20, 2017 Updated: September 20, 2017 5:15pm

Gina Carano smiles after a training session in 2009 in Las Vegas. Photo: Esther Lin, AP

Before Ronda Rousey became a mixed martial arts superstar, Gina Carano — a fighter with Bay Area ties — was busy paving the way for other women to follow. She’s the kind of 35-year-old who likes to work out hard — getting a black eye from a wayward punch is no big deal. On the flip side, she’s girly enough to wear makeup (Chanel’s her favorite).

Carano fought in the first officially sanctioned female MMA bout in Nevada in 2006 and left the ring in 2009 after losing to Brazilian Cris “Cyborg” Santos in San Jose, in the first headline match to feature women. With her cover-girl looks, she turned to Hollywood and appeared in a string of action films, including 2011’s “Haywire,” 2013’s “Fast & Furious 6” and 2016’s “Deadpool.”

It was in tiny gym in San Francisco that Carano fought in her very first fight some 13 years ago. Her grandfather is the name behind Ferrari-Carano winery in Healdsburg. And surprise: She and her boyfriend, kickboxer Kevin Ross, have been quietly living in the East Bay for two years. On Saturday, Sept. 23, she’ll be ringside again, supporting Ross as he takes on Domenic Lomurno in the Featherweight Kickboxing World Title Bout at the SAP Center, one of several matches put on by Bellator MMA, with the main event featuring Benson Henderson against Patricky “Pitbull” Freire.

MORE BY CAROLYNE ZINKO

Laura Kim and Fernado Garcia are the designers at Oscar de la Renta, seen here at the League to Save Lake Tahoe's 48th fashion show fundraiser at Incline Village, Nev., on Aug. 5, 2017. Five Questions with Oscar de la Renta’s new creative duo Seth Rosenberg pictured in the Castro July 26, 2017 in San Francisco, Calif. Venture capitalist, 27, expands reach of Rainbow Railroad to SF
    Carano, who gives few interviews, talked exclusively with the Style section about the rise of women in MMA, feminism versus femininity, and what she likes about getting a black eye. The interview has been edited for length.

Q: Where are you calling from today?

A: Dublin (California.). I moved from Los Angeles to Dublin two years ago. I absolutely love Northern California. I just went on a bike ride in Sonoma, the first time I ever rode a road bike. It was a 100-mile, three-day journey and (actor) Dennis Quaid ended up being my bike coach in a Parkinson’s disease charity ride.

Q: Do you get to San Francisco?

A: I need to make it into San Francisco more. It’s where I had my first fight ever. It was at this tiny little gym. MMA and kickboxing weren’t what they are now. It was like a “Fight Club” scenario. The place didn’t have any air conditioning, it was way overpacked. It probably should have had 150 people but there were 400 people packed in a tiny gym. The girl who was closest to me was 12 pounds heavier than me. I did really well, but thought, “What have I gotten myself into?” After I got done with the fight, I was addicted.

Q: How has women’s participation in MMA changed since you last fought?

A: Just like anything and any sport, everything has its beginning and its middle and it keeps growing. I was very fortunate to be at the beginning of it hitting mainstream. By the time Cyborg and I had fought, we had garnered enough attention that people were ready to see women in the cage. By people being able to see it on TV, it opened up people’s eyes and inspired a lot of females to go in and be the first to fight in the UFC. You had Ronda Rousey, who took it to another level. Now it’s like wildfire.

Q: Why Dublin?

A: In Los Angeles, I was getting too carried away with (film proposals like) “Here’s an action movie, here’s this ...” You see this suff come across your desk. I was always a fan of (Jane Austen’s) “Pride and Prejudice,” a fan of stories. I didn’t watch the “Fast & Furious” before I was in it. To be honest, I didn’t watch it after. I love that crowd, and people who are into cars, but it wasn’t really my deal. In moving out here and training with a wonderful gym, CSA (Combat Sports Academy), I just kind of started doing my own passion projects and developing things I want to do and see. I feel like I’m taking back control of my life.

Q: How much does feminism play a role in this sport, and how do female fighters keep their femininity?

A: Being feminine is something that men and women both have. When you’re facing somebody else in a fight, the natural you is going to come out. At that point, feminism and masculinity doesn’t matter. You get the job done. There’s a quote out there I really love: “If we’re shooting to be like guys, we’re shooting too low.” I don’t mean that as a knock on men. I love men, and I love men being men. Where women get it wrong is in saying, “I have to be like this man in order to do their job.” That is the wrong mentality. If we do the job in the way we know how, there’s so much beauty and brilliance and presence and style in a woman’s mind, and if you bring that into the ring, it’s a completely different animal than men.

Q: What makes for a champion, in your opinion?

A: The word champion gets thrown out there a lot, maybe too much. Definitely too much. Everybody’s a champion. Everybody has a belt. What makes a champion? It’s like a little diamond in someone. It’s about the purity of how they’ve conducted themselves in their career. Did they take those tough fights, put it on the line, risk losing it, come back? All these things that make a person special and truly a champion. They’re very few and far between.

Q: How do you get in shape?

A: Being in shape starts in your mind. If you don’t have the right purpose, like you’re getting in shape because your boyfriend or husband says you need to lose a few pounds, then f— off. That’s the wrong kind of pressure. Or because you’re an actress and need to lose weight for the camera. That’ll eventually implode.

You have a healthy relationship with food and balance. I’m not in the best shape but I love myself more. The more comfortable you get in yourself, the more you’ll do it for yourself, not for outward pressure.

Q: What about bruising?

A: I love a good black eye. I’m weird. I like the fact that you can see something, and watch it evolve and heal. I have a very sturdy body. My jaw, my nose, my face — I’ve been very blessed with a very sturdy body. I would do stunts with Michael Fassbender for (the film) “Haywire” and he was on the ground, “Oh! My knees!” and I was just kind of standing there. In the same film, Ewan McGregor punched me once when I was practicing. He was like, “Oh! I’m so sorry.” I was like, “No — is your hand OK?” I’ve been like this since I was a little girl — a bit of a wrecking ball, I guess.”

Q: This is the Style section, so let’s talk makeup. Do you have any favorites?

A: I do use Chanel Perfection Lumière sunscreen tinted moisturizer. I’m not very big on a lot of makeup. The less makeup I wear, the younger I feel. I’m not opposed to putting on some natural-looking false eyelashes. I love opening up the eyes. My little sister got me into Rodan and Fields (skin care). I like to stay away from chemicals.

Q: What’s more fun — mixed martial arts or making movies?

A: At different points in my life, they’ve both served a great expression for me. Mixed martial arts is something I’ve done nonstop. But I think storytelling is one of the most powerful things you can do. I haven’t been fortunate enough in telling the stories I want to tell, but I don’t want to give up trying.

Q: Fans are being offered a chance to win a dinner with you and MMA stars Michael Chandler and Fedor Emelianenko. I can’t imagine those brutes sitting down with a white tablecloth and glasses of Chardonnay. What’s this about?

A: If people think I’ll just be “Salad, please,” they’re completely mistaken. I’m not sure where it’s going to be, other than in San Jose. The cool thing is that I’ve never met Fedor in all my years in the sport, so ... I’m super excited and a little bit nervous. I’m having a fan girl moment when it comes to meeting Fedor.

Carolyne Zinko is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: czinko@sfchronicle.com
    Hold the phone. Dublin? That's less than 20 miles from the Kung Fu Tai Chi office...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina Carano

Next from Gina.

Richard Dreyfuss, Gina Carano and Brendan Fehr to Star in Action Thriller DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF
    TV News Desk Mar. 26, 2018

Minds Eye Entertainment, Falconer Pictures, VMI Worldwide, and QME Entertainment announced today that principal photography has begun on DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF in Kelowna, British Columbia. The action thriller stars Richard Dreyfuss, Gina Carano and Brendan Fehr.

Ex-military specialist, Clair Hamilton, returns home from her tour in the Middle East to the recent news of her father's passing only to find herself at odds with her defiant 13-year-old son, Charlie. When word spreads about Clair's large inheritance, Charlie is kidnapped and held for RANSOM by a local gang led by a mysterious figure known only as "Father". Desperate to save her son, Clair captures one of the kidnappers and forces him to lead her on a perilous journey deep into the Alaska Mountains. With a winter storm approaching, the odds of survival begin to mount against Clair. To rescue her son, she must form an unlikely alliance with the kidnapper and survive the wild of the far North.

Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws, Mr. Holland's Opus) stars as "Father" and Gina Carano (Haywire, Fast & Furious 6) as Clair Hamilton. Brendan Fehr (Final Destination, "Roswell") plays Larsen, the kidnapper turned hostage. Rounding out the cast is Anton Gillis-Adelman ("Designated Survivor," Birthmarked) as Clair's son Charlie and Sydelle Noel ("Glow," Black Panther) as villainous kidnapper, Hobbs.

DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF is directed by David Hackl (Saw V) and written by Nika Agiashvili (Tbilisi, I Love You). It is produced by Kevin Dewalt (Forsaken, The Tall Man), Danielle Masters (Forsaken, Wolfcop) and Benjamin Dewalt (The Recall, The Humanity Bureau) of Minds Eye Entertainment along with Doug Falconer (The Warrior's Way, Forsaken) of Falconer Pictures and VMI Worldwide in association with Invico Capital and The Fyzz Facility. Executive Producers include Andre Relis, Jason Brooks, Allison Taylor, Wayne Marc Godfrey, Robert Jones, Robert Bricker, Marcel Leblanc, Charles Saikaley, Tamer Abaza, Craig Baumgarten, Berry Meyerowitz, Nika Agiashvili and David Hackl.

Dreyfuss is represented by APA, Gina Carano is represented by The Syndicate, Fehr is represented by Roar and Hackl is repped by APA and attorney Eric Feig.

The film is produced with the financial participation of Creative Saskatchewan and the Screen-Based Media Production Grant with the participation of the Province of British Columbia Production Services Tax Credit and the Canadian Film Or Video Production Tax Credit.

This will be the third co-venture for Minds Eye Entertainment and QME Entertainment who are releasing the Nicolas Cage Sci-Fi Action Thriller, The Humanity Bureau in April and the Christina Ricci/ John Cusack Psychological Thriller, Distorted in June. This is also the third film in a six-picture production slate for Minds Eye Entertainment and VMI Worldwide.<

Minds Eye International and QME Entertainment have North American distribution rights to DAUGHTER OF THE WOLF while VMI Worldwide has international rights.

Established in 1986, Minds Eye Entertainment is one of Canada's most prolific independent production and distribution companies. Recent credits include: THE TALL MAN (Jessica Biel), FACES IN THE CROWD (Milla Jovovich), LULLABY FOR PI (Rupert Friend, Clemence Poesy, Forest Whitaker), Stephen King's DOLAN'S CADILLAC, (Christian Slater), GRACE (Jordan Ladd) which premiered to fainting festival goers at the Sundance Film Festival, FORSAKEN (Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland, Brian Cox and Demi Moore), THE RECALL (Wesley Snipes), THE HUMANITY BUREAU (Nicolas Cage) and DISTORTED (Christina Ricci and John Cusack). For more information about Minds Eye Entertainment, please visit http://www.mindseyepictures.com

Established in 1998, Falconer Pictures is a Los Angeles based film company with offices in Canada focused on the production of independent and studio based films. Upcoming films include Why Should White Guys Have all the Fun starring Jamie Foxx, Superstition, Rules of 3's starring Ludacris and The Magician, The Marlin Briscoe Story. For more information about Falconer Pictures, please visit http://www.falconerpictures.com

VMI Worldwide is a leading independent film distribution, financing and production company based in Los Angeles, California. Founded in 2010 by Andre Relis, some of VMI Worldwide's titles include THE CHINESE WIDOW starring Crystal Liu and Emile Hirsch, THE LAST MAN starring Harvey Keitel and Hayden Christensen, OUTLAWS AND ANGELS starring Luke Wilson (a Sundance 2016 selection) HELLION starring Aaron Paul and Juliette Lewis, WICKED BLOOD, starring Abigail Breslin and Sean Bean, GALLOWWALKERS with Wesley Snipes, and WHY STOP NOW starring Jesse Eisenberg, Melissa Leo and Tracy Morgan. VMI has moved heavily into in-house productions, titles including WAR PIGS starring Dolph Lundgren, THE PERFECT WEAPON starring Steven Seagal, THE RECALL starring Wesley Snipes and RJ Mitte, THE HUMANITY BUREAU starring Nicolas Cage. For more information about VMI Worldwide, please visit http://www.vmiworldwide.com/
    I still haven't seen Scorched Earth.

THREADS:
    Daughter of the Wolf
    Gina Carano
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I felt a presence...

... I had a feeling this Star Wars: The Mandalorian Live-Action series would be relevant eventually. The FORCE is strong in me. I'm hoping Gina Carano will play a Twi'lek.

NOVEMBER 14, 2018 12:00pm PT by Borys Kit
    'Star Wars': Gina Carano Joins 'The Mandalorian'

By Joe Scarnici/FilmMagic/Getty Images
    Gina Carano

The series is debuting on Disney+, the streaming service that is set for next year.

Gina Carano has joined Pedro Pascal in the live-action Star Wars series The Mandalorian.

The series will debut on Disney’s streaming service Disney+, which is set to bow next year.

Jon Favreau wrote the series and is executive producing along with Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson and Dave Filoni. Filoni will also direct episodes, along with Taika Waititi, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rick Famuyiwa and Deborah Chow.

Character details are buried deep in the desert wastes of Tatooine, but the company’s synopsis is thus: "After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic."

Carano is the MMA star turned actress who starred in Steven Soderbergh’s Haywire and appeared in Fast & Furious 6 and Deadpool. She is repped by Gersh, The Syndicate and Ziffren Brittenham.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Embedded vid on ET

MOVIES
    Gina Carano Is Ready to Launch Her Career Into Hyperspace (Exclusive)
    By Meredith B. Kile* 8:01 AM PDT, June 19, 2019

Gina Carano is ready for her career to make the jump to lightspeed and with an upcoming role in a galaxy far, far away, she just might get the chance.

It's been nearly a decade since the MMA fighter stepped away from the ring -- following her one and only career defeat -- and decided to pursue her acting career full-time. One of her first major offers, she recalled recently while sitting down with ET's Ash Crossan, came from a serious Hollywood name, director Steven Soderbergh, who cast her as the lead in his 2011 action-thriller Haywire.

"[Soderbergh] said, 'We would like to do a movie, a real-life action movie with [a real-life] fighter, and um, it's gonna happen really quick or it's not gonna happen at all.' And it happened," Carano said of the film, in which she played black ops operative Mallory Kane and performed her own stunts. "I haven't looked back since. I've just been, you know, paying my dues here in this business... To look back and say that I've been doing this now for 10 years... it just now feels like it's starting to click."

Accustomed to proving herself in the ring, Carano was ready for the skepticism that came with her decision to step in front of the camera as an actress, thanks to years of critiques as a female fighter in the male-dominated MMA world.

"So many people look at athletes in movies and they, you know, they're always like, 'Oh, it's so cringeworthy,'" she noted. "And I'm just like, give 'em a second. You know, you knew them as this athlete and so you kind of have to let them turn into an artist."

"I learned that earlier on with fighting, 'cause I had my first professional fight and I felt like, 'Oh my gosh, I did such a good job,'" she continued. "And I went home and I looked at the internet and looked at the forums, and all they could talk about was boobs and butt and, like, pretty face and 'She's not real' and all this stuff. And I was like, ugh, did anyone see the fight? Like there's-- I was punching. And I did well... I feel like what I have to prove is just something to myself. And I believe that its gonna come through. It just takes a little bit longer for some people."

For Carano, the process so far has been a decade's worth of hard work -- including roles in Deadpool and the Fast & Furious franchise -- which has brought her to some major career milestones this year, with a leading part in the action-thriller Daughter of the Wolf, as well as a main role in the upcoming Star Wars series,The Mandalorian.

"There's definitely a lot of pressure, I think, when you're the lead of a film," Carano said of Daughter of the Wolf, in which she plays Clair Hamilton, a military veteran on the hunt for the men who have kidnapped her son. "I think you have to set the bar high."

"You have to stay super positive, and your work ethic has to be high," she noted. "Everybody kind of feeds off that, so I think, you know, first and foremost, you wanna make sure everybody feels like they're a family unit, and we're gonna get to the end of this film, through all the ice and all the snow and all the blood and all the accidents and all the things that happen."

However, it was a moment on the Mandalorian set, with executive producer Jon Favreau -- whom Carano raves is a "wonderful man" who provided an experience like no other on the secretive Star Wars project -- that was a true eye-opener for the 37-year-old star.

"He looked at me before my big scene, one of my biggest introductory scenes in Mandalorian, and he was like, 'We're gonna change your trajectory right now,'" she recalled. "I think he's a very honest man, and he's seen the struggle, and he's seen what happens to careers and he's like, 'We're gonna change your path right now'... He's like, 'From here on out, you're gonna choose jobs that are complementing [you]. And you're gonna choose jobs that challenge you. And you're gonna believe in yourself. From this scene forward.'"

"I was welling up with tears," Carano continued, remembering the emotional moment. "And I went out and I crushed that scene. And it was like, a scene when I first read the script I was like, 'Oh gosh, this is more than I've ever been given -- how am I going to do this?' And then, with him, I really trained for it, and I really was present... He believed in me and it helped me believe in myself."

"I couldn't thank him enough, because I feel like my whole life since I shot that has been a different world," she added.

ginajcarano's profile picture
    ginajcarano
    Verified

Liked by
    galenmode
    and
    ginajcarano's profile picture
    ginajcarano
    Verified
    I can’t describe the energy I felt at the #starwarscelebration2019 event!! It was incredible and I’m so grateful for all of you and the crazy awesome support you showed us. I’m so stoked... that was epic. Thank you! ♥️ this is the first shot of my character #CaraDune Cara Dune. �� #TheMandalorian #STARWARS #ginacarano
    Though most of the details of her Mandalorian character, Cara Dune, a former Rebel Shock Trooper, are a close-kept secret, for now, Carano is already feeling the love from the Star Wars fandom, beginning with an appearance at Star Wars Celebration earlier this year.

"Literally, as soon as we walked out on stage, it was a rush of, like, this positive energy, which I was not expecting," she recalled. "And I feel like, you know, Twitter is one of the worst places to go, but I refuse to let people chase me away. And I refuse to be one of those negative voices... because a lot of us have been reserved and now we're like, no, come on, like, we're human beings, you know? We're just trying to do the best we can! So that was just positive energy, I love it."

As for what's next in her career, Carano is open to anything -- "Get me in a rom-com!" -- but has her hopes set on trying even more new things, like a twisted team-up film or a gritty biopic.

"All my favorite movies are like that, you know? Natural Born Killers, just, like, crazy psychotic love stories where, like, two people just can't have enough of each other and it's them against the world. That would be amazing," she said. "[Or] a genuine, like, real-life story of struggle. I think that I do really well in that space because I am honest. And so I think that I could really portray somebody's real-life story very honestly."

"It's gonna be really interesting, what happens next -- I'm not sure what it's gonna be," she added thoughtfully. "Like Jon Favreau told me, you know, we're going in a different direction now -- and I believe it. Who knows what's gonna happen?"

Daughter of the Wolf is in select theaters and on VOD now. The Mandalorian premieres Nov. 12 on Disney+.
    THREADS
    Gina Carano
    Daughter of the Wolf
    Star Wars: The Mandalorian Live-Action series
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina

I've watched up to S1E3 and I'm still waiting for Gina to appear on the Mandalorian.

Gina Carano Reveals Why She Hates Her 'Mandalorian' Stuntwoman

Fred Topel | MORE ARTICLES
    November 11, 2019

Gina Carano plays a mysterious character on Disney+’s Star Wars series The Mandalorian. Even at an early preview of the series, Disney did not show any scenes involving Carano’s character, Cara Dune. She only appeared in that one brief shot during the trailer.

Gina Carano as Cara Dune in The Mandalorian | Melinda Sue Gordon/Lucasfilm Ltd.

Carano was part of a panel to discuss The Mandalorian though. Although she could not reveal any details about Cara Dune, Carano gave some insight into what it’s like playing her and working on a Star Wars series for Disney’s streaming service. The Mandalorian premiers Tuesday, November 12 when Disney+ launches.

Gina Carano is very possessive of her ‘Mandalorian’ character

Gina Carano wanted to be the only one to play Cara Dune. Even when there were stunts to perform, she didn’t want any stunt doubles putting on her costume. And why should she? Gina Carano is a former MMA fighter who’s done plenty of action movies. She doesn’t need anyone else’s help.

Gina Carano at The Mandalorian press conference | Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for Disney

“I did not want it to be anybody else in this Cara Dune costume,” Carano said. “Oh, is she running? Okay, I’ll run. That’s fine, no, we don’t need her [the stunt double]. I really hated anybody that was in this costume. I didn’t want to share at all.”

Pedro Pascal disagreed with his ‘Mandalorian’ costar

Pedro Pascal plays The Mandalorian himself. In every image released from the show, he is covered head to toe in armor. Pascal was happy to let the stunt doubles take over.

“Stunt doubles are essential to every large production just so you know,” Pascal said. “Even for the strongest people or agile ones, nothing can get done without the incredible stunt work.”

Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian on Disney+ | Lucasfilm

Gina Carano may be a superstar in the MMA or action world, but Pascal thinks everyone behind the scenes on The Mandalorian is a star.

“You have no idea the amount of star power from every department that goes into making something like this, from the person that is working on the shine of my shoulder to the person building the ship that we’re shooting on or the whole set. I’ve seen some pretty big sh*t and I haven’t seen anything like this. Yeah, there’s stunts, thank God.

Gina Carano describes one ‘Mandalorian’ stunt

Star Wars is full of creatures and ships so Gina Carano could describe one without giving anything away.

“Actually, my first day on set I was on a bird,” Carano said. “So I was up on this big thing and I was just like, ‘Okay, this is it. This is my life now.’”

The ‘Mandalorian’ costumes made Gina Carano feel she was in ‘Star Wars’

Gina Carano may have been possessive of her Cara Dune costume, but it was looking around and seeing all her costars dressed up as Star Wars characters that transported her into the galaxy far, far away.

“It really honestly was one of my favorite unforgettable moments being on set, seeing the other cast members whether it be behind a helmet or a creature,” Carano said.

Gina Carano and Jon Favreau | Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images

Cara Dune even impressed the people who created her, Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni.

“Jon and Dave came [to set],” Carano said. “They made such a big deal out of ‘Oh my gosh, look how great you look.’ I was like wow, this is really great, but then I saw they did that to everybody and I’m like, ‘Oh, so you do that to everyone? Okay.’”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips