Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: circles in the snow.

If its what you want, then power to you.

Good luck with your training.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

info@bostonbaguazhang.com

I am always willing to give someone a full account
    Lol. That's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    The simple fact is.. that despite the fact that I could drive to Texas or DC, or even Atlanta (there is good Gao there) I find the quality and credentials of my present information source to be superior to those options, even in person.
    Think about it.. with 10+ years in, lots of full contact experience, access as a "instructor and brother coach" to all the local external schools, my own school ongoing for years with regular students.... I made the call that the better information came from Canada.
    Am I misunderstanding, or does that mean you feel that online training with the Canadian instructor is superior to your previous experience in person with Luo De Xiu & his people? 'Cause that's what it sounds like...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Am I misunderstanding, or does that mean you feel that online training with the Canadian instructor is superior to your previous experience in person with Luo De Xiu & his people? 'Cause that's what it sounds like...
    With the caveat that I didn't train with Luo in person myself, just his students.. yes.. that's exactly what I'm saying.

I prefer ZeZong to YiZong.. and I would prefer it if I lived in DC or Taipei.
    Last edited by dimethylsea; 12-10-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

concrete training is ok.

online training is better than actual person to person instruction.

you have some very strange views on martial arts training.

good luck with that.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bagua View Post
    concrete training is ok.

online training is better than actual person to person instruction.

you have some very strange views on martial arts training.

good luck with that.
    Concrete training is very good for a specific type of stepping where you are working to develop grinding power and friction by sliding across the ground.
    So basically.. it's good for a specific type of bufa jibengong. Not good for stamping, falling or other sorts of things.

As for the rest.. I typed up a huge response.. but on further reflection it's not a point I'm patient enough to argue.
    I will however make you a wager Dale..

Jan 1, 2010 is coming up. I'm a bagua guy, you are a bagua guy. Let's give it 10 years.. and we see who is doing better (and still walking the circle) then. If I can't convince you my method worked by then I will donate a couple hundred bucks (in 2010 inflation adjusted dollars) to your favorite charity.
    Last edited by dimethylsea; 12-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

back on topic... LOL... i discovered an interesting aspect of walking circles in the snow. firstly, i kept the inside diameter of the circle about 3 feet, about four steps for one circle... as opposed to doing practice around a stationary pole or tree, walking in small circles in the snow allows one use the visual circle from your stepping as a guide for upper body movement... of course the eyes are angled down in order to view the movements and how they correspond to the circle. anyhow... i was just sharing a relatively new concept(for me) with you fellow dizzy guy's.

and if i may be so bold as to throw a friendship swat at ole dale(it's been awhile since we were online mortal enemies) i might not be able to break him and he might not be able to catch me and i might be able to lob off a few iron balls at him... then again, considering his astrological sign of the sheep(goat), i'd probably just hit him in the head with a few iron balls and it would do nothing more than p!ss him off.

While I am not trained in Ba Gua I do have a couple of comments:

First:

How is it possible, in a ZILLION years, that ANYONE can push uki out of a thread??? Much less his own??

Where are your aside comments relating to this present brouhaha uki?

You are letting your end down!!!

Second:

As I said, I haven't trained in Ba Gua, but I am a fan, and from what I have seen of the stepping exercises, they do not involve high impact movements. Indeed, the circle stepping I have observed involved more of a shuffle, or sliding, step.

If I am correct in my observation, then walking on concrete should not have any serious deleterious effects on the joints. It is constant impacts on the joints that causes harm when training upon hard surfaces and even this must be constant over time. Intermittent training involving repeated impacting on concrete should not be a problem for well conditioned and relatively light individuals. That means if you are over 200#, as I am sure you are Dale, then caution would be advised. But for lighter well trained individuals there should be little to no risk involved with limited intermittent training periods on concrete.

Thirdly,

For those of you who have worn down your grass, COME ON NOW!!!! You don't actually walk the same circle everyday in the same spot do you?? Use your heads, walk a different spot everyday, this preserves the grass. This should be basic knowledge for anyone training on their home turf!

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    back on topic... LOL... i discovered an interesting aspect of walking circles in the snow. firstly, i kept the inside diameter of the circle about 3 feet, about four steps for one circle... as opposed to doing practice around a stationary pole or tree, walking in small circles in the snow allows one use the visual circle from your stepping as a guide for upper body movement... of course the eyes are angled down in order to view the movements and how they correspond to the circle. anyhow... i was just sharing a relatively new concept(for me) with you fellow dizzy guy's.

and if i may be so bold as to throw a friendship swat at ole dale(it's been awhile since we were online mortal enemies) i might not be able to break him and he might not be able to catch me and i might be able to lob off a few iron balls at him... then again, considering his astrological sign of the sheep(goat), i'd probably just hit him in the head with a few iron balls and it would do nothing more than p!ss him off.
    (Late edit to stay on topic!) Concerning circle walking in snow:

HEY!!! Stop posting before I can post mine, Now my comments criticizing your tardiness look out of place!!

Is that anyway to treat a comrade???
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 12-11-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    How is it possible, in a ZILLION years, that ANYONE can push uki out of a thread??? Much less his own??
    it's a near impossible.
    For those of you who have worn down your grass, COME ON NOW!!!! You don't actually walk the same circle everyday in the same spot do you?? Use your heads, walk a different spot everyday, this preserves the grass. This should be basic knowledge for anyone training on their home turf!
    even 5 minutes of "slide-stepping" will tear up your grass. whoa though... i can see moving around the yard and changing circle sizes to create something like "bagua yard art"... imagine faking crop circles with your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    HEY!!! Stop posting before I can post mine, Now my comments criticizing your tardiness look out of place!!
    perhaps it's because you are naturally just out of place when i am around.
    Is that anyway to treat a comrade???
    i like to call this the synchronistic luck of the tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    Concrete training is very good for a specific type of stepping where you are working to develop grinding power and friction by sliding across the ground.
    So basically.. it's good for a specific type of bufa jibengong. Not good for stamping, falling or other sorts of things.

As for the rest.. I typed up a huge response.. but on further reflection it's not a point I'm patient enough to argue.
    I will however make you a wager Dale..

Jan 1, 2010 is coming up. I'm a bagua guy, you are a bagua guy. Let's give it 10 years.. and we see who is doing better (and still walking the circle) then. If I can't convince you my method worked by then I will donate a couple hundred bucks (in 2010 inflation adjusted dollars) to your favorite charity.
    Sounds good to me.

Jan 1 2020 is a deal.

I will be around.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Uki,

I can pee in the snow and write your name in circles... i think this qualifies.

that is all.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bagua View Post
    And you live in the GREAT WHITE NORTH...

Did a session once in 30CM of snow and -20 C weather, it was freaking great !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

When I lived in Northern Japan in the late eighties early nineties, we would get tons of snow and I would sometimes train outside before submersing myself in my four foot square ofuro.

Oh that was nice. Hot water up to you neck after training like a yeti.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

not too shabby... although i did feel somewhat like an eskimo with the boots on.