Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: circles in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    Dale,
    You ever gotten a martial arts DVD and enjoyed it?

Just curious.. since you seem to think that seasoned martial artists can't get benefit from information that is not in-person.

I guess all those guys who grapple at a gym where a purple belt teaches are wasting their money buying Robert Drysdale's Nth Dimension series.. or enjoying Eddie Bravo's instructionals.

Why would they do that? Cause the DVDs are a channel to someone who knows stuff they (and maybe their coach) doesn't know. They seek to elevate their game.

I know a guy who taught as a blue and purple belt. He was all the BJJ there was in Nashville for the longest. But he trained daily and educated himself via seminars, DVDs, privates on trips and so forth.

He's a BJJ BB now.. 10 years later. Heck of a guy. Owned half of the most successful MMA gym in the city before he sold it and went into country music (heck of a singer too!).

But I guess he's crap.. because he got information not-in-person to elevate his game.

Methinks you need to rethink your instinctive hatred of my choices.

Hahaha

Enjoyed a DVD = online instruction?

Nice analogy.

And your BJJ Blackbelt - did he grade for his BB online?

Were these "seminars, privates etc" online or in person?

False analogy Brian, you shmuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Finny View Post
    Hahaha

Enjoyed a DVD = online instruction?

Nice analogy.

And your BJJ Blackbelt - did he grade for his BB online?

Were these "seminars, privates etc" online or in person?

False analogy Brian, you shmuck.
    Who said anything about belt grading online/distance? Who said that in person training was not encouraged?

Beginners with no experience should go to a local teacher if possible.

Everyone learning something via distance should seek out as much in person contact with their teacher as possible.

The higher the level of the teacher or information the more likely it is that it's worthwhile to bother doing it via distance.

The cheaper in terms of $$ costs it is.. again the more likely it is that it's worthwhile to bother doing it via distance.

If the style has lots of basics that can be done solo (like taiji and bagua, UNLIKE BJJ, Judo, SC or FMA IMO) the more likely it is that it's worthwhile to bother doing via distance.

If someone has previous experience, wants to develop a relationship with teacher and material before being out travel costs, the information/teacher is very high quality, and the costs of working via distance is low or minimal.. then it may be a good deal.

It's all about figuring out what you want and can use. Nobody I'm involved with suggests training solely via distance (and especially for beginners!!) is a way to martial skill.

Maybe qi gong or health stuff.. I'm not sure. I'm not into that area though.
    Last edited by dimethylsea; 12-17-2009 at 09:15 PM.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bagua View Post
    Hence you want to make sure you are covered up when you train.

Wind according to Traditional Chinese Medicine can cause problems. Always better to keep it where it is, outside of my body.

I bet you will not forget your hat ever again, brother.
    O yeah, I will never try to imitate the chinese again when it comes to dealing with the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    just curious if anyone has any experience walking in circles doing form in the snow.
    Actually - when I first started doing bagua I was having difficulties maintaining a good circle. On a nice day, after we had received a good deal of snow I went out and made a nice circle and walked for a couple of hours, changing direction every so often. I feel that this really helped me to figure out the concept of walking around a fixed point in empty space. I think the hours spend walking the same rut in the snow kind of burned the good circle into my muscle memory or something.
    I'd agree with Dale. If the wind isn't so bad, it'd be a good thing to try out. I think that if the breeze is so much that you are paying more attention to it more than your practice, then you might want to find somewhere else to practice.