Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foshan Wing Chun

Foshan Wing Chun

Does anyone have experience with both Yip Man style Wing Chun and Foshan Wing Chun? I have only ever known Yip Man lineage through Moy Yat and Sunny Tang who is my teacher. But I recently saw a DVD with a Foshan guy named Mai Yao Ming. There were things I've never seen before like punching to the side while in YJKYM stance. Also, shifting all the way to the other side 180 degrees. There seems to be much more movement with this style of Wing Chun and it seems really interesting. I wonder how well it could combine with Yip Man Wing Chun which seems tighter and less movement.

Ip man wing chun

I have been doing a Ip Man lineage (Augustine Fong) wing chun since 1976. There is lots of movement, footwork, and punching- including to the side (for development). I don't borrow those things and training routines from somewhere else.

joy chaudhuri

Here 4 of the san sik....u could find in Yuen kay san WC,cheung Bo Wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI5ZTPL1Q0M

That's a pretty cool form. I'm not sure if you can answer this or not. But when he's turning from his forward stance with rear punch into his YJKYM stance with his lead punch to the side, is he bringing his feet back to the pigeon toe position pointing inward or are his feet parallel to each other?

thats in a pigeon toes...Yjkym in the video his stance is a ittle bit sloppy

I am still training with him. I started with him last year. Prior to him, I did Jeet Kune Do. I learned Wing Chun indirectly through that, but it's not the same. I learned quickly how sloppy the Wing Chun techniques are of a lot of JKD practitioners. And the ones who really are good are the ones who learned proper Wing Chun first. He's a really good guy. I just had a class with him last night and he gave me some good footwork drills to work on, which has always been a weakness for me. Are you a student of his as well or were you before?

Learning different branches is not bad...you should go forth and learn as much as you can about WCK.

The traditional approach is for you to study and learn what your Sifu taught you, then go out and visit your uncles, grandmaster, grand uncles, cousins in the art, and then masters from other systems.

I have said many times, the old European guilds (patterned after the Chinese) had apprentices, journeymen, craftsmen, and craft masters. Its not much different to the Chinese approach of learning martial arts. But one must have a good basis, and absorbed the various teachings of your main teacher, otherwise the result you will have is a mish-mosh...

Chinese medicine doctors often studied specialties with other doctors to be more well rounded, and herbalists were known to collect and trade various formulas. But this can only be done when one is well rounded in basics.

Narrow mindedness of following only one sifu for a lifetime, not quite correct if you look at history...but things must be done in accord to family protocol and abilities. Leung Jan followed Leung Yee Tai, but also studied with Wong Wah Bo...

Just my opinion.

Sunny Tang

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    I am still training with him. I started with him last year. Prior to him, I did Jeet Kune Do. I learned Wing Chun indirectly through that, but it's not the same. I learned quickly how sloppy the Wing Chun techniques are of a lot of JKD practitioners. And the ones who really are good are the ones who learned proper Wing Chun first. He's a really good guy. I just had a class with him last night and he gave me some good footwork drills to work on, which has always been a weakness for me. Are you a student of his as well or were you before?
    So would you say you are pretty happy at Sunny Tang? When I first started I saw him and my current sifu Sonny Lee. I decided to go with Sifu Lee but that was basically based on the fact that he knew tons of weapon forms as well as wing chun which is WSL. But I have heard mixed things about Sunny Tang. But that might just be from some people that just didn't like his teaching style. I tend to not place judgement based on other people's experience. I like to see for myself. By the way footwork is still a weakness for me and I've been doing this for 4 years. I'm just not a dancer!

I thought Sonny Le learned vietnamese WIng Chun first, and then continued with Ho Kam Ming later? Or is that a different person?

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    I thought Sonny Le learned vietnamese WIng Chun first, and then continued with Ho Kam Ming later? Or is that a different person?
    Wow did I have a brain ****! I don't know why I wrote WSL. You are totally correct. I have really enjoyed his teaching so far. He learned a ton of weapons forms as well from a different sifu while he was training Vietnamese Wing Chun. I can't for the life of me remember his name right now. But some of the forms he knows from him are amazing.

Man I can't believe I forgot my own sigung (sp?) I think I need to get more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfublow View Post
    So would you say you are pretty happy at Sunny Tang? When I first started I saw him and my current sifu Sonny Lee. I decided to go with Sifu Lee but that was basically based on the fact that he knew tons of weapon forms as well as wing chun which is WSL. But I have heard mixed things about Sunny Tang. But that might just be from some people that just didn't like his teaching style. I tend to not place judgement based on other people's experience. I like to see for myself. By the way footwork is still a weakness for me and I've been doing this for 4 years. I'm just not a dancer!
    Yes, I would say I'm pretty happy there. Believe me, I've seen my share of bad teachers and schools. Sunny Tang is not one of them. The absolute worst one (By the way, I don't give a crap about professionalism and respect in this case) in the Toronto area is Sifu Lee Chi Wai of Chung Wah Kung Fu. Yes, I said it, and any followers of his can kiss my ass if they don't like what I'm saying. He's a huge egomaniac who basically declared war on the other sifus in town. Apparently, some people answered his challenge but he backed down like a *****. It is true that you can't place judgement on other peoples' opinions, but in extreme cases when enough people back it up with cold hard facts, I think you can. In Sunny Tang's case, I know some people don't like his teaching style because they feel progress is too slow. It only seems that way because they haven't learned the material properly yet to advance. He won't teach you anything new unless you're pretty good at the existing material you've learned already. If you work hard, you'll advance at a decent pace. Most of the guys there don't practice enough outside of class. He'll watch everybody and he'll tap you on the shoulder to give you a new drill when he feels you're ready for it. The Sihings and instructors under him do most of the teaching and correcting of technique in class, but he's always been the one to show me new stuff.

???

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have no idea of the skills of the gentleman in question, but I seriously doubt that he learned from Master Ho Kam Ming. Lots of name dropping happens (for promotional ends perhaps or error in communication).

joy chaudhuri

I remember Master Ho kam Ming .....4 years ago he give a seminar more a lecture here in Ottawa.....We have smoke a export A(green ) outside the gym......in the street.

thats was a nice day

Ho Kam Ming

He is an old line kung fu teacher and not given to mass production.

joy chaudhuri