Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: wing chun's core

The plain and simple fact is that skill is by its very nature demonstrable. If some attribute comes from a skill and is "transferred" into other aspects, we should expect to see EVIDENCE of that (wouldn't all great athletes, since they all have unconscious competence, and hence "silence") be more calm, focused, etc. in other aspects of their lives?
    Like Tiger Woods, you mean?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Imagine you're at a party with a drink in hand. You step out onto the patio and slip on a patch of ice, but catch your balance and stay standing, drink unspilled.

There's no need to self-talk through that situation; in fact, things happen so fast that we only realize what's happened after it's over, yet if we're in good health we realize it while remaining standing, courtesy of our subscious mind - our Zombie mind.

Have you ever tried capitalizing on that? One way would be to train specific situations until they become subscious. I think most MAs do that in some way or another. Where you place the emphasis within the situation will determine what your zombie learns, though. Training specific moves into subconsciousness is different than training specific mindsets into subconsciousness.

A Chen master has this great simile relating to what he trains the zombie for (I'm paraphrasing):
    Mastery of Martial Arts is like play-fighting with a child. No matter what the child does, you don't feel threatened, and you can deal with whatever they throw at you subconsciously. You don't have to think about doing this move or that move. There's no concentration, no self talk needed.

Back to the self-talk: if it's being used, then may I suggest moving along the imperative line from "technique" to "target" and eventually to "result."

Get it to hit by itself! Train that Zombie!
    We don't get much patio ice in Australia, but I know what you mean.

I agree with drilling specific situations as you describe. I would qualify that by suggesting maximum benefit will come from drilling the most likely situations to confront one, and the reaction to those situations which are most likely to succeed. Like you say, you want your Zombie to learn stuff that's actually has a chance of being applicable.

I get the feeling the Chen master suggests when sparring or rolling with new guys; I'm not sure he, you, I, Hendrik, HW108 or anyone else could seriously be able to carry it through into a sudden criminal confrontation involving extreme violence. I definitely would not regard that as a good idea.

Back to the self-talk: if it's being used, then may I suggest moving along the imperative line from "technique" to "target" and eventually to "result."
    I like it
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Hardwork good job!

Hardwork good job

From a martial standpoint you’re right on the money, just stay on that path and you’ll do just fine and all will be shown to you…

I’m impress with your understanding and approach as well as Hendrick’s; I hope he doesn’t mind me saying it, a while back it was a bad ideal for doing so.

I’ve seen a poster complement him on this thread so I will do the same…

Good job, and I hope this doesn’t bit me in the butt later…

Ali Rahim.

In this world, I have found human beings like to solve technical issue via politics.

That is a usual practice of winning with all cost. But still after that winning one knows one still doesnt solve that technical issue.

and solving technical issue is not a favorite things because it could damage the politics benifits of some.

History repeat and life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    In this world, I have found human beings like to solve technical issue via politics.
    Hendrik, no one is bringing up "politics" here -- although you seem to be trying to interject that idea as a way to deflect your inability to marshall either evidence or reason to support your views.

That is a usual practice of winning with all cost. But still after that winning one knows one still doesnt solve that technical issue.

and solving technical issue is not a favorite things because it could damage the politics benifits of some.
    You keep insisting that YOU know the "correct" way to practice SLT, to achieve state's like "silence" that will give the practitioner the ability to deal with whatever comes, etc. Well, if that is so, THEN SHOW US. I, like many others, will believe genuine evidence. If your way of practicing SLT gives you some unique skill, SHOW US. We know what training like a fighter can do -- we can look to any good fighters and see it for ourselves. But where is the evidence for the benefits of your unique SLT practice? Do these things really exist? If so, then SHOW US. Go spar with some known, competent fighters and let us see how your SLT practice has equipped you. This isn't politics, but simply a request to see evidence of results. And if you don't want to do it, then point us to someone that uses your unique SLT practice and can hold their own with competent fighters. Let us SEE for ourselves. If these things really exist, then that should be a very easy thing to do.

If you want to turn the tables on me, and ask me to provide proof that athletic training (using modern, athletic principles), focusing on skill development through realistic training works, I would tell you to look at muay thai, boxers, MMAists, BJJ fighters, wrestlers, judoka, etc. ANYONE can SEE FOR THEMSELVES that this sort of training works, and works across a variety of disciplines and for the great majority of people who do that type of training.

History repeat and life goes on.
    To paraphrase Mark Twain, it's not what you don't know that can come back to bite you; it's what you know for sure that ain't true that can come back to bite you.

I just don’t have the will to prove anything publicly anymore because this world is much bigger than myself. I only care about persevering my life’s perseverance… I don’t care if I know or if I don’t, I only care about the truth without false labels of justification, because I’m not a politician and have nothing to lose or gain…

To back up that fact, I turn away students by the dozens because I want my classes to stay small as possible…

It’s not what I can get; it’s whom I can help, and why do some make things so hard for each other’s understanding?

Why do some put themselves higher and above others? We all can have the same qualities but each of us manifest them differently…

The only losers in this are the innocents who are just looking for knowledge and can care less about politics, I guess that is too much for innocent ask…

Ali Rahim.

I guess that is to much for the innocent to ask for...

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post

The only losers in this are the innocents who are just looking for knowledge and can care less about politics, I guess that is too much for innocent ask…

If you look at the history of China, about the great teacher Confucious, to how the Ming Emperor intentionally black out the Chinese Buddhism escoteric school transmission to the public due to his fear of lost control, and lots of cover up....etc in the name of control.

That is just human nature. Truth in human history often over write by those who have power.

I guess that is to much for the innocent to ask for...
    One of the things I've noticed over the years is that people holding woo (http://www.skepdic.com/woowoo.html) beliefs resort to the same rhetorical tactics/devices over and over again to support their position -- not surprising since they can't rely on the weight of credible evidence or solid reasoning. What underlies all those tactics is a refusal to provide solid supporting evidence.

I don't supply evidence since the world is bigger than myself. -- Nonsensical.

I only care about truth. -- OK, so provide evidence that what you say is truth.

I have nothing to gain or lose. -- Neither do lots of people holding woo ideas. Ignorance isn't necessarily about gain or loss.

Why do others put themselves higher than others? -- Not an issue. The issue is whether something is true or not. The only way we can know is via evidence. Anyone can claim anything; only those with evidence can provide it.

The only losers and innocents looking for truth. -- And how can anyone know what is the truth without evidence? If you are so concerned with the "innocents looking for truth", then help them out and provide evidence proving your claims. Otherwise, you are no better than any charlatan or quack.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Hendrik, no one is bringing up "politics" here -- although you seem to be trying to interject that idea as a way to deflect your inability to marshall either evidence or reason to support your views.

My intention is to bring up what is a fact in the history. Since this is United State of America the second millenium.

As for your speculation, I totally accept your way of thinking and let go because it have nothing to do with what I am posting or silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    My intention is to bring up what is a fact in the history. Since this is United State of America the second millenium.

As for your speculation, I totally accept your way of thinking and let go because it have nothing to do with what I am posting or silence.
    We're still awating the EVIDENCE that your way of doing SLT will produce any significant martial (fighting) benefits. CAn you provide the evidence or not?

The proof is there for those who want it and its not just for me to give, unless they chose to come to me for the advice, because this world dose not revolve around me, and it shouldn’t be on my shoulders to help others prove there point, I’ll leave that up to them…

Whenever one can do or say something nice about someone or something and is treated much differently for his kindness, sends a very odd and strange message and it’s not nice or polite… It’s only so many conclusions one can come up with…

Hendrick I don’t hate you in any kind of way and never did, maybe it should have been better that I hadn’t responded to his post and I’m sure he meant no harm as well, know anything pertaining to that post I will not elaborate on, because it’s self-explanatory.

T, I always enjoy your post,

Ali Rahim

Hendrick I don’t hate you in any kind of way and never did, maybe it should have been better that I hadn’t responded to his post and I’m sure he meant no harm as well, know anything pertaining to that post I will not elaborate on, because it’s self-explanatory.

Ali, I am just sharing.

As for how others response I accept their view and let go not more then that.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    We're still awating the EVIDENCE that your way of doing SLT will produce any significant martial (fighting) benefits. CAn you provide the evidence or not?
    your posts tell me you are a person who want control and approval. I can sure accept that with ease in the silence of peace.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 12-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Kind of hard to solve the technical issues if you're dead or seriously injured because you didn't survive a violent crime because you were more concerned about Silence than survival.