Thread: Shaolin comics

Shaolin comics

Sounds intriguing, sort of Caine vs. Sarah Palin , but I'd much rather see a film version of Shaolin Cowboy.
    Posted: Mon., Dec. 14, 2009, 4:10pm PT
    L&E, Liquid get graphic
    Epic Cycle to hatch properties that can go multiplatform
    By MICHAEL FLEMING

L+E Prods. has partnered with Liquid Comics to launch Epic Cycle, a new graphic novel label to hatch properties that can be expanded into multiple platforms, including film and TV.

L+E chief exec Eric Eisner said his company will identify concepts and hire writers, while Liquid Comics' founders Sharad Devarajan, Gotham Chopra and Suresh Seetharaman will oversee the process of transforming them into graphic novels.

They have secured the first three properties: "H2O," a sci-fi novel by Grant Calof ("Hulk: Unchained") about a global drought that creates a multicountry race to find water deep within the Earth; "A Thousand Arts," a kung fu adventure set in the Alaskan wilderness, where a transplanted Shaolin monk battles to protect his cultural heritage, with Stuart Moore ("Wolverine Noir") writing; and "Purgatory," a graphic novel by Ron Marz ("Green Lantern") about a rogue professor hired by the Catholic church to prove the afterlife exists. A "Flatliners"-like series of experiments places the lives of a group of students in danger. I had been looking for the right partner to develop properties through the graphic novel space, and Liquid reaches an audience without huge costs," Eisner said. "The primary focus is to create properties with franchise potential, and studio-driven material."

Devarajan added: "We've always looked at Liquid as a great way to incubate properties for films, games, animation and TV."

L+E produced "Hamlet 2" and is percolating several projects that include "The King of Sting," "Havana Nocturne" and a biopic of the formative years of Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia.

Liquid has published graphic novels by John Woo, Guy Ritchie and Nicolas Cage, all designed to broaden to films. Liquid is developing "Gamekeeper," a Warner Bros. project with Ritchie, and "Voodoo Child" with Cage and Reliance.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin animation - slightly OT

HOLYMONKS project. Render and animation quality test.
    Check this out - it's kind of cute.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sounds intriguing, sort of Caine vs. Sarah Palin , but I'd much rather see a film version of Shaolin Cowboy.
    "A Thousand Arts," a kung fu adventure set in the Alaskan wilderness, where a transplanted Shaolin monk battles to protect his cultural heritage, with Stuart Moore ("Wolverine Noir") writing...
    That graphic novel sounds really lame. What would a Shaolin monk be doing in the Alaskan wilderness in the first place. I could understand some sort of city center with a lot of Chinese, but not the wilderness. There really isn't a lot of people who live in the Alaskan wilderness anyways, so there would not be much racism to encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    HOLYMONKS project. Render and animation quality test.
    Check this out - it's kind of cute.
    The animation is indeed cute, but I think they are trying to copy Kung Fu Panda way too much with the painted backgrounds and overall animation style. I'm burnt out on Shaolin stuff to tell you the truth. Why can't people come up with more original things?

Shaolin comics

Please support THE ADEPT Kickstarter

I’m serving as the ‘Action Choreographer’ for a new graphic novel called The Adept, the first project from Immortal Studios. Our Kickstarter just launched today and we’d be grateful for your support.

“Man, you come right out of a comic book.”

THREADS
    The Adept
    Shaolin Comics
    The Next Wave of Kung Fu Comics...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips