Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State of kung fu in the eyes of some TMCA Teachers

State of kung fu in the eyes of some TMCA Teachers

http://chinesekungfuacademy.com/blog/kung-fu-fighting/

"How to become a successful and natural Kung Fu fighter?

Well, first of all, you have to put a fighting element in your in Kung Fu training otherwise it will only be a demonstration art. A lot of people conveniently forget this. Why do they? They like the demonstration arts so much, because A. they do not hurt themselves, and B. it makes them look good, look tough, and flexible. So they train a lot, and jump, and do the splits, and their kicking looks quite dynamic, but they don’t fight. Without the fighting their Kung Fu almost looks like a dance, and that is probably all it will ever be.

So to be good at Kung Fu you have to add a fighting element to the sport. Fighting in a skilful way that is of course, not just who is faster or stronger, or who can defeat the weak. Fighting is ‘entering into the defence zone of another person with a skilful technique that makes you unstoppable, and allows you to deliver a very beautiful and controlled hit to where you wanted to place it’. When people hear this they say ‘well, that’s nice, I would like to be able to do that’. So how can we do that? First of all it requires patience and dedication. But many people nowadays do not have that patience, they want everything immediately. The whole world is full of fast food and micro-waved meals. People want their Kung Fu like that. So they jump around and train to become flexible and agile. Then they step in the ring and want to fight. Of course it doesn’t work that way. Because they have not taken the time to train all that they have learned in the ‘fighting way’ they can’t use it when it counts.

If you just train the fluency of the movements without anyone stopping you it will look nice but is no good for fighting. Just because you know how to use the energy and have a rhythm does not mean that you can fight. Sometimes this gets worse. Because they still want to represent the art these people pretend to fight, but as they do not want to hurt one another, they put on the biggest boxing gloves that they can find. This makes their movements not natural, affects their sensitivity and can destroy all the detail of a beautiful technique.

In a real fight people always move, if you do not practice fighting in your Kung Fu then you will not be used to this and you will find that when you try to deliver a hit, the person has already moved from that position. You have to know how people react when you touch them, so that you can learn how to use their energy and return it to them in an effective hit. So you have to practice ‘fighting’ in the safe surroundings of your school with as many different partners as you can. Occasionally this can cause you some pain or injury, but without it you will only be learning a demonstration art.

So how can we become a more successful fighter?

First you must train your techniques and combinations so often that you become really familiar with them. This requires intensive regular training. All this training will allow you to capture the essence of the movements, which will enable you to internalize it. If you then continue to train after having done all of this, your hands will become so fluent that you almost look like a magician. All the skill will then come from ‘within’. It’s like playing the piano. First you have to learn the notes, then the compositions, and then you have to practice hard and long to become familiar with them and fluent in them. Then, and only then, after you have trained hard and long enough you can start to play from within and ‘your hands will flow like water’. You will be able to make the piano do whatever it is you want it to do, just through the magic of your fingers. Kung Fu is the same. When your hands become so familiar with every movement that you don’t have to think anymore, you will be able to manipulate every punch and hit that comes towards you and place your hits wherever you intended to deliver them. You will be able to hit however hard or soft as you planned to. But can you imagine how many years it will take for people to reach that level?"

2)
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=131

"People have four different reasons for training in kungfu. Kungfu can be for looks. Some people train because they like the art. They just want to enjoy it. Some people train because they want the health - to help to circulate blood, (reduce) high blood pressure. Some train forms to make their confidence bigger and make themselves mentally better. The fourth reason is because they want to learn how to fight. They want to hit people and hurt people."

"Kungfu was originally created for people who want to learn how to fight. Unfortunately, these days martial arts has become more like a sport. A lot of kungfu schools utilize martial arts to become a moneymaker. We personally don't think that's right. You use kungfu for moneymaking, you have nice music and nice equipment, (but) it's not practical. Some of them ruin martial arts. Then some boxing guy says, 'Hey! Kungfu doesn't work!' Not me. However my school comes out, I do not what to have a ****ty student. My father looks my student as his grand student. He always tells me, 'You have a smaller circle, you can build up slowly. Better than having a bunch of ****ty people and coming out with students who really don't know anything.' They might know 20 forms, and a guy comes to attack them, they're going to fall, call 911."

"I think the worst thing about a lot of kungfu instructors is the day they start teaching is the day they stop training. In martial arts, you know and I know, if you don't train, you lose the breath. You lose the punching strength. You've got to keep it up. My dad still lifts weights four days a week and trains his students every day. I haven't stopped for years. Even now, I'm still teaching and training every single day. You can get older, you can train a little differently then young people with young bodies, but you've got to keep up yourself. I look at a lot of instructors and they are really out of shape. They tell people that it's a 'qigong belly.' No! That's a lie! That's too much beer and partying. There's no excuse if you do that for a living. For the rest of your life you cannot be out of shape. Keep yourself up. I look at my father at 63, he's still in pretty good shape for his age, apart from losing a little bit of hair." (laughs)

Today, Grandmaster Luo's Futshan school is still going strong. He still does seminars and has many students from different countries like Macao, Korea, Germany and France. He estimates that he has taught some 10,000 students over the years, not including his teaching for the army. For the past ten years, he has stayed out of the fighting ring. Now he serves as a judge and an organizer.

Young Master Luo's school is also beginning to produce Bak Mei and Dragon style fighters on American soil. His school is small yet hardcore. It is not open to everyone. Luo limits his classes to serious applicants only. Nor do his students compete in kungfu tournaments. Instead, he trains them to fight against the other styles like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu, Kickboxing, Muay Thai and of course, street fighters. After teaching himself English, he is always quick to voice his opinion on today's martial world. "I hope I don't offend, but I'm just telling the truth. Sometimes I think that too humble becomes too ****y. Some people don't give opinions. They don't say this guy's good. They don't say this guy's bad. Basically they don't criticize anybody. That's really arrogant. It's always good to come out with opinions. I can back it up."

3) Interview with former Shaolin monk, Zhang Lipeng
    byBarbara Malvik

BM: What is kung fu?

Zhang Lipeng: Kung fu is not what most people think. All the movements are not kung fu. The form is not kung fu. Kung fu means you’re training the one movement for so long, for so many years; that movement you can change in so many different ways to defend yourself and to fight – that’s called kung fu.

In China, they don’t just call martial arts “kung fu” – anything else they can say is “kung fu.” If you’ve been driving a car for twenty years and never had an accident, that also means kung fu. It means you drive very well. It also means your experience.

If you are like…anything – anything you did for a long time and really experience; like a doctor can also say that very good kung fu. In China, that’s what they call this guy. That’s what kung fu means.

BM: Is the form kung fu?

Zhang Lipeng: No, the form is not kung fu. The form is just the form.

So many people in the US and in Europe – even in China – think forms are kung fu. But the form is not kung fu. The form is just a form. I can teach you two forms – three forms – twenty forms – you still just know the forms. They say the form. They don’t say the kung fu. They say form. So that’s why it’s not kung fu – it’s just exercise. If you’re training with one form every day for ten years, one movement you can change twenty different ways for fighting with people. You can use different ways for training. Take each movement out from the form and just train for twenty years – ten years. Don’t train just the form. Try and take out. And try to use the movement; and fight with the movement; and change the movement. Each movement you can change twenty different ways or thirty different ways to fight with people.

Then, you can say that is real kung fu. Then you can fight with the form on anybody. No size. Bigger people, tall people you can fight because the form you can change so many different ways to fight with different people.

BM: So, you mean that, in the form the kung fu exists, but you have to get rid of everything else.

Zhang Lipeng: Yes.

BM: So it’s someplace in there, but you take away pieces of the form little by little.

Zhang Lipeng: To fight. For training.

BM: And you concentrate each one.

Zhang Lipeng: Each one.

And each movement can also be changed twenty different ways to fight. You change. So flexible, so detailed – that’s called kung fu.

Even if you know a different way to fight, but if you don’t know how to use it, you still cannot fight. You have to train for a long time to fight.

Like Tai Chi; this movement – hand up, this arm grab, this arm goes this way – you have to train this movement for a long time and the teacher has to stand aside when you do this movement, the teacher has to – boom – with a stick come to your face you have to – boom – grab the stick so you have to do training like this for a long time. Not just with hands – you’ve got to train with staff, with hands, with punch, with legs; all kind of ways to fight. And you’ve got to be training like that for a long time. Of course you can fight. That’s why I say forms are not kung fu.

BM: So kung fu is basically the way you approach your training.

Zhang Lipeng: Kung fu is there. The one movement you train for twenty years and you can use all different ways. That’s called kung fu. You have such power and ability to fight. That’s called kung fu.

BM: Why do people ask you “Is wushu kung fu?”

Zhang Lipeng: So many Europeans and Americans think wushu is kung fu – kung fu is wushu. Wushu translates to English as “martial art.” Fifty or sixty years ago, China’s president, Chairman Mao, changed kung fu to become something that looks like gymnastics – like dance, and just beautiful – not form or fight.

Because Chairman Mao didn’t want people to train for fighting because he was so worried about people trying to…

BM: …to take his power away.

Zhang Lipeng: …to take his power away. That’s why they say kung fu is very dangerous. Chairman Mao’s real bodyguard was from Shaolin Temple.

BM: Really?

Zhang Lipeng: His name is Shi Xuyu. Shi Xuyu was the younger of six brothers. The Shaolin Temple Master traveled past his village, and the mother said to the monk they couldn’t support these children. So could you save one of my children? The Shaolin Master looked at the six children and pointed to one. See, right away that child had a future. So the Shaolin Temple Master took that child to Shaolin Temple. His name was Shi Xuyu.

He trained at Shaolin Temple for eight years – this is a true story – not a legend. It happened only 50 years ago. Then the Shaolin Temple Master said, “You can go.” Shi Xuyu never went back to Shaolin Temple because he went into the army – an enemy army of Chairman Mao’s – and then he joined with Chairman Mao. He had already become a general in the other army, so Chairman Mao didn’t want to kill him, and saved him because he wanted him to bring his whole army to follow Chairman Mao. So, Chairman Mao saved his life. That’s why he stayed with Chairman Mao his whole life. He died when he was around 85 or 90. He was the Chief of Staff of the Army, Navy, and Air Force; so he was a very powerful guy. He was very small, his face very angry and ugly, and he was a really scary guy.

His martial arts were so amazing. So I think that’s why Chairman Mao wanted martial arts ended. He saw his bodyguard, Shi Xuyu, was so good at training in martial arts. Can you imagine if somebody else – in China there are so many people who can do training very well – if somebody else used him, then what? So that’s why he changed them to martial arts.

BM: Chairman Mao made it illegal to train in martial arts?

Zhang Lipeng: Yes. All martial arts. You could not have swords or anything. He’s the one who changed everything. That’s why right now they have the modern martial arts and the history martial arts. In history martial arts you train one form for twenty years. In modern martial arts you jump up and down, you flip around; beautiful, nice movements-that’s not kung fu. That stuff is only for looks.

BM: Do people train differently now from the way they did 300 years ago?

Zhang Lipeng: Yes. 300 years ago, the master did not look at your size. They trained all sizes – tall, short, skinny, fat. He looked at your spirit, your self-esteem. They did not look at your body. If you want to do it, anything is possible. So the master will teach you if you’re a little bit bigger, he’ll teach you something else. If you’re small, they’ll teach you other stuff. So, if you’re skinny and small, the master is going to teach you swords – straight swords, or other swords. You’ll be training with swords, one form, for twenty years every day. So when you have the sword, you can kill people in one second.

BM: Big or small, it doesn’t matter.

Zhang Lipeng: It doesn’t matter. That’s the history way of training. In the modern way of training, they want to know how many forms you know; they classify you by size, and the fights are not fights, it’s like punch, punch, grab somebody’s leg, boom boom boom; hey, that’s the modern way of fighting. They don’t have real kung fu anymore. It’s just if you’re stronger or bigger or you know grappling, you know how to punch and kick, then you can fight. That’s why people think if they’ve been training for a couple of years they can fight, but that’s the modern way of martial arts.

BM: That means to me that kung fu is disappearing.

Zhang Lipeng: It is. It’s the spirit. It’s over. It’s over. Do you know why it’s over? Because the modern style, you don’t need martial arts to protect the country. You don’t need martial arts to protect your life. Nobody’s going to kill you. In history, everybody would carry a big knife, a straight sword. It didn’t matter where you went, if you went into a restaurant you would still carry a knife because you always had to defend yourself. Right now, if you want to kill somebody, you shoot him – you have a gun; you don’t have to spend twenty years stuck in a mountain to do training. You don’t need that stuff for revenge. That’s why the history martial arts will slowly disappear.

BM: Why are they saying martial arts now are only an art and not self-defense?

Zhang Lipeng: The question of the arts right now – it’s art now. It’s not for training. You feel good and it makes people live longer, but can you really fight? No. You cannot fight. That’s why when I was in Belgium, somebody who was training karate for 20 years said, “I cannot fight one street guy.” Do you know why? Because he didn’t train that way before. He trained for a couple of hours for 20 years. That doesn’t mean anything. So right away you’re going to treat martial arts like art. You cannot treat martial arts as a way to fight or to kill somebody. You can defend yourself better than people with no training, but you cannot fight against 20 people. It’s not possible

BM: So martial arts now is getting to be more like ballet.

Zhang Lipeng: More like art, but ballet is only art, but with martial arts now you still can defend yourself. It’s a combination. You still can defend yourself, but it’s not like before. That’s why the modern martial arts are very good for this modern time

BM: So, there is no real way that kung fu is going to come back because it’s not needed anymore.

Zhang Lipeng: Not needed anymore.

BM: They do fighting now for sport…stuff like boxing.

Zhang Lipeng: That stuff has become like business.

In history, the fights led to death – to save themselves life. They didn’t fight for twenty minutes; they’d fight for one minute or two seconds and then it’s over. They didn’t fight that long. You die or he dies. Your leg broken, his leg or arm broken – it’s one second; then it’s over. Can you imagine every day a small guy training with swords for twenty years – do you think he’s gonna fight with you for twenty minutes? As soon as he moves his swords, you don’t even know what’s going on, you’re already finished. It’s over.

BM: What if you have two people who’ve been training for twenty years?

Zhang Lipeng: Then it depends on what did you do for 20 years. Also, it depends on who goes first.

If I start first, my speed is so fast you cannot even see. If I start first and he cannot defend against my sword, he dies. But, if he can defend, we start all over again and it takes a little bit longer. But those training with swords for twenty years, it takes one minute – or two minutes to end the war.

BM: Why are you promoting Shaolin martial arts if there is no kung fu anymore?

Zhang Lipeng: I trained at Shaolin Temple and I know how good they are. I went back there when I was 12 or 13 years old because I believed my future was there. I also realized that at that time it was not possible to train in the history style. Things were not like history anymore. That’s why I left my family to go back to Shaolin Temple. When I was 16 I went to Belgium where they liked Chinese arts so much; I decided I wanted to go to Europe to promote Chinese Shaolin martial arts. That’s why I treat this like art. I don’t treat this like anything else. That’s why right now I’m in the US – I just promote the art. That’s why this year I’m organizing a competition; I’m going to try to do it every year to promote Shaolin arts and to let people know what is kung fu, what is going on in martial arts. The modern style is for me to promote. In history, there were different ways to promote. Right now I’m the one who was born in this modern generation. I am the one responsible to promote the modern way of the art. That’s why I want to promote the Shaolin martial arts.

BM: Would you say that you are the last generation of actual kung fu?

Zhang Lipeng: When I was young, I trained much longer than the new generation. Right now, they can train at the Shaolin Temple for five or six years and then they can come and do the show.

BM: So we still call it “kung Fu,” but we’re really doing the forms?

Zhang Lipeng: Yes. The form is kung fu, but you have to train for a long time with one form. It’s a different way of training.

BM: The forms may be the beginning of kung fu and then you have to take that form, and study it for 20 years.

Zhang Lipeng: Create the form.

very nice articles

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

thanks for sharing that, great read. the part about mao's body guard is interesting.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

general qijiguang said about recruiting soldiers "no street hoodlums they have no morals, no big talkers, no flowery fist performers, no lightskinned because they never did hard work, no shifty eyed because they are smart" i think this is very important even for today
    Last edited by bawang; 12-24-2009 at 10:47 AM.

"BM: That means to me that kung fu is disappearing."

"Zhang Lipeng: It is. It’s the spirit. It’s over. It’s over. Do you know why it’s over? Because the modern style, you don’t need martial arts to protect the country. You don’t need martial arts to protect your life. Nobody’s going to kill you. In history, everybody would carry a big knife, a straight sword. It didn’t matter where you went, if you went into a restaurant you would still carry a knife because you always had to defend yourself. Right now, if you want to kill somebody, you shoot him – you have a gun; you don’t have to spend twenty years stuck in a mountain to do training. You don’t need that stuff for revenge. That’s why the history martial arts will slowly disappear."

"In history, the fights led to death – to save themselves life. They didn’t fight for twenty minutes; they’d fight for one minute or two seconds and then it’s over. They didn’t fight that long. You die or he dies. Your leg broken, his leg or arm broken – it’s one second; then it’s over. Can you imagine every day a small guy training with swords for twenty years – do you think he’s gonna fight with you for twenty minutes? As soon as he moves his swords, you don’t even know what’s going on, you’re already finished. It’s over."

pretty much sums it up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the only thing u do is practice form but after 3 years on ur internet video ur still slow and fat
    fat guy

what are you talking about?

spj

look in his signature his youtube page
    video from 3 years ago he is fat and slow
    5 month ago video, hes still fat and slow no change

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    spj

oh...how old is he?

thank you for your interests in me.

what do you think the state of Kung fu?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    oh...how old is he?
    I will be 50 very soon.

spj

they are supposed to be slow or even still with pause for discussions

thank you for your viewing and comments.

the only thing u do is practice form but after 3 years on ur internet video ur still slow and fat
    fat guy
    what do you think about the state of kung fu.