Thread: Anyone ever do "chi sao cometition"

Anyone ever do "chi sao cometition"

Long story short I saw that there are or has been competitions for chi sao what are peoples thoughts or has antone done one of these? I thought of chi sao as a drill and would see minute rounds etc make people force techinques etc. What are everyones thoughts comments etc??

I have never done one. However, I am not against it. If you notice that you have a talent for chi sao, I say go for it. It never hurts to be a champion at something or to compete.

Edit: if you are a newbie to WCK, try to keep perspective about what chi sao is.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 12-27-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Long story short I saw that there are or has been competitions for chi sao what are peoples thoughts or has antone done one of these? I thought of chi sao as a drill and would see minute rounds etc make people force techinques etc. What are everyones thoughts comments etc??
    Chi sao is the equivalent to riding a bike with the training wheels on.

Now, if you were to see grown men and women having bicycle races while using training wheels what would you think?

A -- There's a real "test" of their bike riding skills.

B -- There is a useful exercise.

C --Is this the special olympics?

I have only seen one, which was at this year's Legends of Kung Fu tournament in Dallas. I was not a fan of how it went. It seemed like anytime anyone made any contact or used any energy in their bridging the judges would stop everything, leading to a bunch of soft slappy-crappy stuff. I'm very glad I didn't waste my money by competing in it. I can understand not wanting full power shots due to lack of gloves, but we're kung fu guys, not ballet dancers. We should all be able to take a medium power shot to the chest or side of head with headgear. At this event they didn't allow ANY contact to the head.

I was much more excited for an event that was called "Lug Sao" which was predominantly about intercepting from no contact. Since there are so many differing views on Chi Sao, but everyone seems to agree on interception (Jeet) as a facet of Wing Chun, that may be a better way to go to showcase Wing Chun specific skill.

My 2 cents, YMMV as all tourneys seem to do it differently.

I have judged 2 events and seen many. It usually turns out to be a shoving match.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I was going up there for something else but it was a http://arnoldsportsfestival.com/ under chinese martial arts......

It's all fun

It's all fun. I've done a few judged a few and watched quite a few of them. To me it has been a fun experience (for the most part) I think people take them to seriously. For me it was fun meeting other people who do wing chun and talking to them about thier training approach.

I agree with the fact that if the rules aren't clear it turns into either a slapping match or a shoving match. But it's all in fun if you ask me. I also agree with the point that if you want to test your fighting ability then get envolved with a full contact competition. To me this falls under the same group as doing push hands. But in stead of Tai Chi it's use of bridgeing!

Just my two cents here!

He’s right, here I am in a shoveling math as well, and I’ve been in over 30 matches, they really helped me out a lot and I do recommend this to those that are thinking about going that rout…

Maybe if I sat in my stances enough I wouldn’t get so top heavy and cut my balance in half, therefore never having a calm state of mind from doing so, making my strikes become non-accurate and very, very wild…

In this clip I fought with a very badly sprang foot, that’s why I’m walking funny and have one foot forward for support most of the time (only had one leg)…

Here I’m am as a much younger man with almost half the skills I have now…

Not only were my strikes sloppy, but also my opponent was carried out with his toes dragging the floor (he passed out in the lobby), man I felt bad…

Yes, you can get hurt in these tournaments, specially if your opponent is not trained to sit in his or her stance (wildness), not forcing sensitivity and control to the upper extremities…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP1TH5bHl9Q

Ali Rahim.