Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shameless bragging

Shameless bragging

I got promoted to Gracie Barra blue belt this week.

Come shake my hand... so I can grab you and choke you unconscious!

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    how much was that?? 19.95 + tax?
    you are sooo dangerous now aren't you??

lol was a hell of alot more than 19.95
    see they drag yuou alonga nd take your moneiz by giving yous tripes on you white belt first

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    lol was a hell of alot more than 19.95
    see they drag yuou alonga nd take your moneiz by giving yous tripes on you white belt first
    can't you just tape those white stripes on your belt yourself??

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    how much was that?? 19.95 + tax?
    you are sooo dangerous now aren't you??
    Come on over *HERE* and ask that!

Nah, it cost a lot more than that... monthly class fee, gi's, a *lot* of time and effort. I've sustained rib injuries three times since April- twice pretty bad, the third time not quite so severe but still ouchie. I am the tiniest person in the school. There are only two other female students above white belt here (one of them was promoted from white to blue the same night I was). I've been working really hard, though- sometimes putting in two classes a day.

Not that I care so much about belts and stripes, but it's really nice to have the positive feedback and validation that my grappling has improved a lot. The promotion was a total surprise, and I'm really excited about it.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    can't you just tape those white stripes on your belt yourself??
    lol no they told us not to!!! you have to sow a black long cloth first on the white belt then they give you a white stripe and you sow it on there on top[ of that lol

No, NO, silly.... if you have the OFFICIAL white belt with the black bar on the end, you get white medical tape stripes. If you have a cheapie generic white belt with no bar on it, you get black electrical tape stripes. Don't you know ANYTHING?!?

Come on over *HERE* and ask that!

Nah, it cost a lot more than that... monthly class fee, gi's, a *lot* of time and effort. I've sustained rib injuries three times since April- twice pretty bad, the third time not quite so severe but still ouchie. I am the tiniest person in the school. There are only two other female students above white belt here (one of them was promoted from white to blue the same night I was). I've been working really hard, though- sometimes putting in two classes a day.

Not that I care so much about belts and stripes, but it's really nice to have the positive feedback and validation that my grappling has improved a lot. The promotion was a total surprise, and I'm really excited about it.
    hey ive just watched a whole half hour of wing chun anti grappling you dont scare me!!!!

women usually advance quicker at bjj because they are more relaxed they are supposed to be good to work with as well if your a guy because it teaches you not to use too much strength

however when your 6 foot two and 230 pounds and so are many of the other males at the gym its hard convincing the five three 110 pound woman to roll with you lol

No, NO, silly.... if you have the OFFICIAL white belt with the black bar on the end, you get white medical tape stripes. If you have a cheapie generic white belt with no bar on it, you get black electrical tape stripes. Don't you know ANYTHING?!?

lol my stupid bjj gym didnt even tell us about that!

they insisted they way i described it

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    however when your 6 foot two and 230 pounds and so are many of the other males at the gym its hard convincing the five three 110 pound woman to roll with you lol
    As I said, I'm the tiniest person in the whole school, and the average sizing here tends to run toward "linebacker" so I have no choice.

If the female grappler is primarily sport-oriented, and there are enough people near her own weight class to work with, she may not see the point of working with the larger guys. The defense-oriented grapplers want a variety of opponents of different sizes.

As I said, I'm the tiniest person in the whole school, and the average sizing here tends to run toward "linebacker" so I have no choice.

If the female grappler is primarily sport-oriented, and there are enough people near her own weight class to work with, she may not see the point of working with the larger guys. The defense-oriented grapplers want a variety of opponents of different sizes.
    for the most part the one or two girls didnt get squished
    though they made a face similar to this before we did reps or sparred lol

Way to go Taryn!!! I'm closer to the 200 than the 110 and I always look for the bigger guys to go against...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Thanks!

I always feel like a chihuahua standing at the end of a row of pit bulls... it must look positively ridiculous. And now I'm a chihuahua standing in the MIDDLE of a row of pitbulls.

Thumbs up

Good job, Taryn.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

good job! congrats!
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting