Thread: Ninjas Protest Pirate Festival

go team ninjer! oi oi oi

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

That was surprisingly good.

Worth watching to the end. Looks like Full Time Ninjas is now a film project.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on the Ninjas vs. Pirates issue

I don't know what to say about this except that I hope they got their ninja gear here.
    Thursday, Jan. 21, 2010
    Ninjas and pirates take over Bard's classic tale
    Rude Mechanicals open new version of Shakespeare's ‘Romeo and Juliet'
    by Ken Sain | Staff Writer

Romeo Montague is the only son and heir to the most dangerous ninja clan in Verona. Juliet Capulet is the only daughter of the leading pirate family in the same town. Ninjas and pirates don't mix and these two were born to be rivals, not lovers.

But not even a Japanese manga-influenced take on William Shakespeare's classic tragedy can prevent Romeo and Juliet from meeting their doom.

The Rude Mechanicals, a Laurel-based Shakespearean theater company, opens its second production of "Romeo and Juliet" Friday in College Park. This time the story is set on the Japanese island of Kuishiu in the 17th century.

"There's always been a big conflict in the geek community between ninjas and pirates, which one is better," said Erin MacDonald, the show's director. "I usually get three different responses to the idea."

The Columbia resident said the first reaction is a puzzled look; the second is a "You are out of your mind" expression. It's the third reply that is the one she was hoping for.

"‘Oh my God, I've never gone to see Shakespeare before, but that's awesome, I'm going to go,'" MacDonald said. "That's really what I want the main focus to be, people that never would have come to see Shakespeare before to open their eyes and go, ‘Man, this isn't just for like nerds and book geeks, it's for everybody.'"

Fear not, traditionalists. You will not see major Japanese manga characters Uzumaki Naruto (a ninja) and Monkey D. Luffy (a pirate) upstaging the two young lovers. Outside of the costumes and some music, it's still more or less the Shakespeare you read in high school.

"I did cut this play from like, its originally like 4,000 lines to about 1,536," MacDonald said, explaining that most of the deleted scenes involve the parents of the lovers. "Language is all the same. ... I put in a ‘va scallywag' in there."

There is one twist, however, that traditionalists cannot ignore. In this version, Mercutio, Romeo's best friend and cousin, is a woman.

"I love female Mercutio; it's a lot of fun," said Meredith Coyle of Columbia, who plays Mercutio. "Mercutio is the best character in the play. It should always be a woman."

The change sets up an interesting love triangle dynamic to the familiar story. Benvolio loves Mercutio, who loves Romeo, who at first loves Rosaline, then falls for Juliet, whose parents want her to marry Paris.

"It's my first romantic role," said Evan Ockershausen of Laurel, who plays Benvolio. "I went into the role as a traditional Benvolio, but I got to give it that nice romantic twist. It's very, very fun to do. It's not too big of a stretch to see Mercutio as a woman if you really read it."

MacDonald said she wanted to add more drama to the relationships between Romeo and his friends and accomplishes that by adding some romantic intrigue.

"It's such a great role for a female to play, because some of those jokes are a little weird if a man says them," MacDonald said.

Playing Romeo is Mike Dombroski of Upper Marlboro, who teaches and started the drama program at Henry A. Wise High School. He said his students like the ninja and pirate twist.

"We're going to do one night at the school," Dombroski said. "The kids are excited to see the show there. I think the energy there will be really fun too."

Dombroski said this is the first time he has played Romeo. He stopped acting after high school, but he did take theater classes at the University of Maryland, College Park. He decided to get back into acting last year and performed as Marc Antony in the Rudes' production of "Julius Caesar" last year.

"It's very interesting to like college age-students and younger people," said Emma Conway of Elkridge, who plays Juliet, about the ninjas and pirates theme. "Most people are like, ‘"Romeo and Juliet." I've seen it 1,000 times. Why do I want to go see that?' When I talk to people about the concept they go, ‘Oh, that's cool.'"

The story of Romeo and Juliet is well-known, but as a new off-Broadway production proves, many have forgotten. The current off-Broadway "Romeo and Juliet" is based on people's recollections of the play with actors actually verbalizing conversations when the producer called up friends and asked them specifically what they remembered. Even drama professionals got it wrong.

"They tend not to remember a lot of Romeo and Juliet," MacDonald said. "Most people forget about Benvolio. They remember Romeo and Juliet and the whole tragedy of it, but the rest of the story and core characters they tend to forget about."

Anyone willing to brave ninjas and pirates to catch up with the most famous couple in literature has until Feb. 6.

If You Go

Romeo and Juliet

When: 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through Feb. 6

Where: St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 4512 College Ave., College Park; the Jan. 29 performance will be at Henry A. Wish High School, 12650 Brooke Lane, Upper Marlboro

Tickets: $15, $10 for seniors and students; call 301-490-7000

E-mail Ken Sain at ksain@gazette.net.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

they are just lucky that none of them have run across my fleet of pirate ninjas. we'd obliterate them all, we are the next stage of pirate/ninja evolution! arrrrrigato!!!

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2011

Why isn't there an International Talk Like Ninja Day? Because ninjas are silent.

English-to-Pirate translator
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i have a black belt in bujinkan ninpo taijutsu,so does that make me a ninja?

ttt 4 2014

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day!
    Tessa Berenson @tcberenson
    10:27 AM ET

Ahoy, mateys!

Today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, an annual celebration that brings together all the swashbuckling scoundrels who set their Facebook languages to ‘English (Pirate),’ have closets full of costume eyepatches, pledge allegiance to the Jolly Roger or just want an excuse to walk around saying “Arrrrgh!” or order people to walk the plank.

There are many ways for landlubbers to celebrate today without hitting the high seas – Krispy Kreme is offering a free doughnut to anyone who talks like a pirate, and a dozen free doughnuts to those scallywags who show up in full pirate garb. (Need to brush up on your pirate parlance? Here’s a helpful how-to.)

After your free doughnuts, check out this Google map of all the Talk Like A Pirate Day events around the world. From free mini golf to pirate-y pub crawls, there’s sure to be something that will shiver your timbers.
    Argh. I wish I'd be knowin, err I woulda dressed up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips