Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the magic of mushrooms

You DO know you can end up tripping years after the fact, right? I'm all for medical marijuana as appropriate. I do not support hallucinogens.

I'm even more against alcohol, because that is the drug where I have seen the most lives ruined.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

It's volunteer work

Lucas, read my Shaolin Trips: Episode One article. I discuss how I fell into this field as a direct result of my martial practice. It was iaido, in fact. Talk about an impractical leading to a practical application.

uki, honestly, I don't think I've ever purposefully taken hallucinogens in order to train. I might be wrong about that - there are some gray area in my memory - but I'll concede that point to you. But as for forms and bagwork, I've actually had to defend myself (and my attacker for that matter, which makes it much more interesting) whilst under the influence. Back in the hey days of certain bands, it just happened that way.

Injecting LSD is a wacky way to go. I got dosed in the eye before. We've had a few incidents where people sprayed it. That's another intense way to go. Burns like hell. After all, it is an acid. Your retina is actually brain cell, so it's a pretty quick up.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    You DO know you can end up tripping years after the fact, right?
    yes... they call it a flashback... happens after a good back or neck crack sometimes.

I do not support hallucinogens.
    have you ever ingested magic mushrooms??

I'm even more against alcohol, because that is the drug where I have seen the most lives ruined.
    ain't that the truth... how many stories do you hear about where the magic mushroom tripper drives a car into a minivan and kills everyone?? if anything, moral judgement is super-enhanced on mushrooms... the thought of driving doesn't even cross my mind will tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    uki, honestly, I don't think I've ever purposefully taken hallucinogens in order to train. I might be wrong about that - there are some gray area in my memory - but I'll concede that point to you.
    your honesty and humilty have been noted.
    But as for forms and bagwork, I've actually had to defend myself (and my attacker for that matter, which makes it much more interesting) whilst under the influence.
    you have me there... for now.
    Back in the hey days of certain bands, it just happened that way.
    i saw bad religion on LSD and shrooms once, i have also seen flogging molly on shrooms a few times aswell.
    Injecting LSD is a wacky way to go.
    you should meet my boss.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    yes... they call it a flashback... happens after a good back or neck crack sometimes.
    interesting - it suggests that the autonomic nervous system is "storing" the experience in some way, because that's the global mechanism that gets stimulated when u "pop" a vertebra, especially in the mid-back (it's all sympathetic chain up and down there); I know some people think the actual drug is still in the system and gets somehow released when u do the manip, but that's physiologically impossible, both in terms of the speed of the reaction (another strong argument for autonomics) and that there's nothing getting "released" into anything when u do that either (the "pop" occurs within the joint capsule, and nothing leaks out when that happens);

FTR, I've never tripped, used shrooms, etc; nothing against 'em, just never had the inclination; but my best friends credits their use with some of his more intense "spiritual awakenings" and from an "outsider's" perspective, I firmly believe that their use was of great benefit to him in many ways (I, OTOH, had to sit ~10 hrs. / day in a Buddhist monastery for ~4 days before things "opened up", so to speak...); basically different strokes, etc.;

meeting uki's boss

uki, I've encountered a patient that did acid via anal suppository. He encased some gel in a ball of cocoa butter, which apparently melts at body temperature. Acidheads are a funny breed for sure.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

dont forget about the people that never come all the way back from an lsd trip, like my quote
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    interesting - it suggests that the autonomic nervous system is "storing" the experience in some way, because that's the global mechanism that gets stimulated when u "pop" a vertebra, especially in the mid-back (it's all sympathetic chain up and down there);
    interesting from my point of view. I had a back injury occur many years ago in the mid back section, which drove 2 ribs inward. I got kicked there while sparring and still go to the chiropractor to this day for it. Anyways, it's a weird feeling when he gets done 'cracking' me. I have a tingly feeling in my lower back and such but it fades fast. i'll workout later and feel like I have 3 days of pent up energy. I asked him about this and he said a lot of people don't notice it but since i'm more active and in tune with my body, the alignment 'clears the path' as he calls it and lets flow the connection throughout my body. A person of lesser activity does not notice it. Anyways weird you brought that up.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    interesting - it suggests that the autonomic nervous system is "storing" the experience in some way, because that's the global mechanism that gets stimulated when u "pop" a vertebra, especially in the mid-back (it's all sympathetic chain up and down there); I know some people think the actual drug is still in the system and gets somehow released when u do the manip, but that's physiologically impossible, both in terms of the speed of the reaction (another strong argument for autonomics) and that there's nothing getting "released" into anything when u do that either (the "pop" occurs within the joint capsule, and nothing leaks out when that happens);
    interesting... my dad is a chiropractor and you make much sense to me.
    FTR, I've never tripped, used shrooms, etc; nothing against 'em, just never had the inclination; but my best friends credits their use with some of his more intense "spiritual awakenings" and from an "outsider's" perspective, I firmly believe that their use was of great benefit to him in many ways (I, OTOH, had to sit ~10 hrs. / day in a Buddhist monastery for ~4 days before things "opened up", so to speak...); basically different strokes, etc.;
    i suggest everyone do it atleast once in their life... i mean come on, you only live once a lifetime.

ok about the sense... they say that LSD remains in your spinal fluid for 7-8 years... they actually order spinal taps in extreme cases, it's the only way aside from the hair, but mushrooms and LSD are entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    ok about the sense... they say that LSD remains in your spinal fluid for 7-8 years... they actually order spinal taps in extreme cases, it's the only way aside from the hair, but mushrooms and LSD are entirely different.
    if it were in the CSF, doing the adjustment really shouldn't have an particular impact on how "active" it is; ihowever, doing some cranial / fascial work (your dad may know it as Sacral Occipital Technique, which is the chiro version of it), u often have people spontaneously "unwinding", where the body on its own assumes an often contorted position, but one that the patient reports as being very comfortable and then often has a recall about how that particular position was one the remember being in after a bad fall, car accident, or some other trauma, including emotional - some people go so far as to relate it to birth trauma, which may be true, although that does get a bit overblown, IMPO; so the point is that you can have a "flashback" about an intense experience in your life based purely on mechanical input of a specific type, be it an adjustment or cranial / fascial release (different "quality" to the touch here, hard to explain, easy to show); in my estimation (and my wife's, who does osteo stuff as well and is also an OB/GYN) there is actually very little difference between the sort of "learning" experience associated with extreme trauma and hallucinogenic experience, in terms of the way it imprints itself in the system (I am not equating the two moralistically, in the sense that drug use is "bad" - personally, I believe u hav the right to ingest / inject whatever u want as long as it doesn't result in someone else being hurt);

ok, speaking of "illicit" substances, we are about to leave the hotel and go out into the streets of Amsterdam...

Anything that is a crutch, is a crutch.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Anything that is a crutch, is a crutch.
    crutch implies dependency.

many people have tried a great deal of substances in the search for the experience without becoming psychologically dependent on the substance to cope with their day to day lives.

If a person finds they "need" a substance like a recreational drug such as alcohol or marajuana or mushrooms or acid or cocaine et al, then yes, they are using a crutch to live their lives that they really don't need but merely perceive themselves to need.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    crutch implies dependency.

many people have tried a great deal of substances in the search for the experience without becoming psychologically dependent on the substance to cope with their day to day lives.

If a person finds they "need" a substance like a recreational drug such as alcohol or marajuana or mushrooms or acid or cocaine et al, then yes, they are using a crutch to live their lives that they really don't need but merely perceive themselves to need.
    Anything that one uses that they feel gives them an "edge", whether precieved or real, is a crutch.
    Could they function as well without it?
    If yes, why do it?
    If now, then its is a crutch.
    Be it rooms, steroids, weed or Hardcore P0rn !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

my crutch is food.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

wait a second. arent all of us using martial arts as a crutch? OMG IM AN ADDICT!!