Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using the techniques you have learned in sparring

The major problem I have with most of these videos, specifically the first two or three, is that the practiones leave their heads unguarded for long periods of time and while throwing a strike. This may work with someone making the same mistakes, but not against a fighter who doesn't.

The long, looping punches and strikes can work and are a staple of CMA, however, there is way to much posturing and wasted movement rather than keeping a good base and working from that. Also their heads are completely exposed in many instances and someone with good straight blast techniques would take their heads off.

The other videos are simply one step sparring and the last looks choregraphed, albeit with the same problems the first few have. I don't understand why Kung Fu practioners still believe their fighting has to look like a Shaw Brothers movie.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

1)"The major problem I have with most of these videos, specifically the first two or three, is that the practiones leave their heads unguarded for long periods of time and while throwing a strike. This may work with someone making the same mistakes, but not against a fighter who doesn't."

Those people are using what they have learnt in sparring (TCMA) and they are not sparring like kick boxers.
    So you have not seem professional western boxers in boxing matches not putting up their hands to guard their faces before. They allowed their opponents to punch them and use their foot work to defend themselves. Their opponents failed to land most of their punches e.g. Muhammad Ali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbMl58MDD5M
    Those martial arts practitioners did not put up their hands to guard their faces.

2)"The long, looping punches and strikes can work and are a staple of CMA, however, there is way to much posturing and wasted movement rather than keeping a good base and working from that. Also their heads are completely exposed in many instances and someone with good straight blast techniques would take their heads off.

From YOUTUBE
    "rojcewiczj (2 years ago) Show Hide
    Marked as spam
    excessive motion, stop fighting like your doing a form

GungFuMan777 (1 month ago) Show Hide
    Marked as spam
    The "excessive" motions are also used to distract and always keep a flowing movements of the hands so that you can instantly counters, strike or deceive the opponent. That's why they're taught in forms but most don't understand."

3)"The other videos are simply one step sparring and the last looks choregraphed, albeit with the same problems the first few have. I don't understand why Kung Fu practioners still believe their fighting has to look like a Shaw Brothers movie.

How you train is how you will fight. If you have not been taught how to using kung fu in fighting then you will use what is most natural to you in fighting, therefore, self style kick boxing.
    Practitioners from judo, kick boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ, boxing, western fencing etc can apply what they have in sparring and tournaments. Therefore, you would expect the TCMA practitoners to do the same. It is not that easy to use TCMA or any martial arts in a fight/sparring, but it can be done if you are willing to work at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWar...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16EseISVRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycv7xqwdjZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0-7USCZWR4

"NekoJinRei (1 week ago)

Wow! Really fantastic! Rarely do I see a kung fu school that uses traditional kung fu techniques, including my own. I wish we would spar more at my school so we could develop traditional kung fu fighting ability. And the few times we do spar, everyone seems to resort to kickboxing and karate style fighting."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XKRCqGRTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djdy_fhvZuM

I really have to stay conscious about leaving my head exposed. I did it once and paid the price, and still didn't learn my lesson. Just because I can take it doesn't mean I should be fighting like Rocky when I don't have to.

Good insight and observation, there.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

So you have not seem professional western boxers in boxing matches not putting up their hands to guard their faces before. They allowed their opponents to punch them and use their foot work to defend themselves. Their opponents failed to land most of their punches e.g. Muhammad Ali.
    Never confuse what high level fighter do with what low lever fighters SHOULD do.
    Every one is/ should be taught to keep their hands up, period.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

isnt the reason alis brain is all schmogoogled now largely because his opponents punches did land often?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Those people are using what they have learnt in sparring (TCMA) and they are not sparring like kick boxers.
    If this is what you consider good sparring, maybe this is the reason that TCMA is in the state that it is in. Good sparring needs to have continuous technique and solid contact, not a couple limp noodles playing tag and slap happy together. Get back to me when you post a video worth looking at.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

Those people are using what they have learnt in sparring (TCMA) and they are not sparring like kick boxers..
    "never put your hands down" longfist poem
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    The "excessive" motions are also used to distract and always keep a flowing movements of the hands so that you can instantly counters, strike or deceive the opponent. That's why they're taught in forms but most don't understand.".
    "dont wave your hands around keep them still" shaolin poem

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    isnt the reason alis brain is all schmogoogled now largely because his opponents punches did land often?
    Hard to say 100% buy it is pretty much 100% for sure that all the blows he received didn't help with his Parkinsons.
    And yes, he did get hit more often than he should have, as do all boxers that take their head speed for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    "never put your hands down" longfist poem
    "Easier said than done" American Quote
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Personally I think everyone that fights me SHOULD keep their hands down, that way they have a better chance at beating me.
    No really, I mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    "Easier said than done" American Quote
    "I suck you long time", Thai Hooker quote.

Ah, those were the days....

does anyone know the link to that japanese mma fight where hong man choi got his face pounded like a cake by that american guy with a cool mustache? there were a ton of kung fu techniques in that video but i cant find it

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    "I suck you long time", Thai Hooker quote.

Ah, those were the days....
    I thought that was Vietnamese?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown