Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styles in GuangDong Province, Help me choose

Styles in GuangDong Province, Help me choose

Hello Everyone!

I usually post in the northern shaolin forum. I spent a lot of my time in northern China learning Kung fu. I wish to return to china in February, but the weather in the north is very cold, so i would like to spend two months in guangdong province.

What should i train????

I am a northern Shaolin stylist, spent some time in wudang and i have practiced a lot of Wing Chun. I want to try something unlike the northern styles i am used to.

I love all Kung Fu regardless, i like to practice internal and external, practical and flamboyant.

In the winter the further south the better. My first guess would be Foshan. What styles are there? 5 animals? 5 ancestors? Tiger Crane? White Crane? White eyebrow? Eternal springtime? Southern Mantis? Luohan Quan? Hong family? Lau family? Choy li fut? Mizhong? Help!

Foshan - plenty of different families of WCH, good CLF school (Fatsaan Hung sing Gwun), good lung ying/Baak mei, plenty of other systems. Guangzhou is near - good Hap ga there, again WCH, CLF (Bak sing, Chan Family), lung ying/Baakmei...

one of my friends will be in Foshan in the end of January, he might help you if you like
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I usually post in the northern shaolin forum. I spent a lot of my time in northern China learning Kung fu. I wish to return to china in February, but the weather in the north is very cold, so i would like to spend two months in guangdong province.

What should i train????

I am a northern Shaolin stylist, spent some time in wudang and i have practiced a lot of Wing Chun. I want to try something unlike the northern styles i am used to.

I love all Kung Fu regardless, i like to practice internal and external, practical and flamboyant.

In the winter the further south the better. My first guess would be Foshan. What styles are there? 5 animals? 5 ancestors? Tiger Crane? White Crane? White eyebrow? Eternal springtime? Southern Mantis? Luohan Quan? Hong family? Lau family? Choy li fut? Mizhong? Help!

I would recommend 5 ancestors and white eyebrow.

In Tai San, there's my Sifu Frank Yee Chi Wai. He teaches traditional Hung Ga kung fu there. You can contact him through the Yee's website: www.yeeshungga.com.

You won't find a better or more knowledgeable Hung Ga teacher in all of China.

Yui

Thank you all for your replies.

There is a huge ammount of southern kung fu to choose from.

@ Sifu Yui

Thats cool, a few years ago a friend of mine stayed in taishan and he gave me a card for that exact school. I lost it but i remember the logo.

They said it was a really nice area to stay in and that the school and training was friendly and really good.

THat may be a good place to start, THe style of Huang Fei Hong.
    But keep the replies coming, I would like to expand my knowledge of the southern styles, if i like it i will stay longer.

I say study South Mantis as its not as public as other systems.

You could always train the others if you want.

but you really need to go meet the teachers and see that styles being trained.

Not all people respond to the way certain styles move and train.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

info@bostonbaguazhang.com

Quote Originally Posted by SifuYui View Post
    You won't find a better or more knowledgeable Hung Ga teacher in all of China.
    raised-eyebrow-meter at about a 9...

I stand by my statement

And I agree, it is only my opinion, your results and opinions may differ

Yui

I stand by my statement

And I agree, it is only my opinion, your results and opinions may differ

Yui
    Of course it's your opinion

but for you to have an actual basis for that opinion, you would have had to have studied with every hung ga sifu in all of china in order to make such a comparison

since you obviously could not have, it's a fallacy of reasoning, not to mention blatant hyperbole

now, for example you could have said that you thought he was the best hung ga sifu in all of china who used to teach in a Grand St walk-up - that statement could be easily supported without fear of contradiction
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 01-09-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Okay, what you said then

Yui

Okay, what you said then

Yui
    yeah, I'm sure...

Sifu Frank Yee! Awesome.

Hung Gar, White Crane, Praying Mantis, Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut, myriad family styles.

there's a lot there and in one trip, you're not going to absorb much. I would just go and enjoy myself. But then I already got kungfu to take with... so, I'd probably just practice what I already have.

Always room for practice!

anyway, I digress....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Some notable names in Guangzhou are :

Wing Chun :Mai Gay Wong

Bak Mei/ Hung Gar :Siu Ting Fun

Hop Ga/Hung Ga: Dung Jan Kwong

I think Sui Ting Fun is dead or dying, sadly. Look for the Hap Ging Do organisation.

I know from past experience, the other smaller groups are hard to find, and not very welcoming.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia