Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do OL lifts build or just express explosiveness

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    not the same, unless you are lifting them above your head
    And whipping them across the street !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And whipping them across the street !
    lol true

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i'll give Uki this one to a point...a wheelbarrow full of rock or concrete is one unstable mother..negotiating it around a construction site and not spilling it is not that easy...it can really give you good gains in leg and core/stability muscles if you have to do it often.

i kinda laugh at the new two wheel construction wheelbarrows on the market now...pansies!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i'll give Uki this one to a point...a wheelbarrow full of rock or concrete is one unstable mother..negotiating it around a construction site and not spilling it is not that easy...it can really give you good gains in leg and core/stability muscles if you have to do it often.

i kinda laugh at the new two wheel construction wheelbarrows on the market now...pansies!
    I remember when the renegade coach has his old web site, there were a series of articles wheelbarrow training and a 8 piece series on sledgehammer training...lol this stuff is not that hard to figure out really but guys make a fortune out of teaching wheel barrow GPP and sledgehammer GPP drills

oly lifts definitely build explosiveness. as a powerlifter who's dabbled in the oly lifts for a brief period id say that they are probably more efficient at building explosiveness than the power lifts, but they alone probably wont make or break the martial artist or other cross training athlete. of course this is all based on my limited experience and not any actual data.

also keep in mind that the oly lifts dont have to be perfect if you're not going to compete in oly lifting. if you have exceptional self correction and learning you might be able to get by on books / vids. if not, almost everyone could get by on a good seminar or a few sessions with a decent coach (follow ups once every month or so would be even better, but of course its not possible for everyone). this is especially true for the power clean / snatch. getting the hang of the full clean or snatch might take a bit more coaching, but most people could novice the power versions well enough to train them fairly safely in a minimal amount of time.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    oly lifts definitely build explosiveness. as a powerlifter who's dabbled in the oly lifts for a brief period id say that they are probably more efficient at building explosiveness than the power lifts, but they alone probably wont make or break the martial artist or other cross training athlete. of course this is all based on my limited experience and not any actual data.

also keep in mind that the oly lifts dont have to be perfect if you're not going to compete in oly lifting. if you have exceptional self correction and learning you might be able to get by on books / vids. if not, almost everyone could get by on a good seminar or a few sessions with a decent coach (follow ups once every month or so would be even better, but of course its not possible for everyone). this is especially true for the power clean / snatch. getting the hang of the full clean or snatch might take a bit more coaching, but most people could novice the power versions well enough to train them fairly safely in a minimal amount of time.

yepi found the power versions fairly easy to learn, i also found the split lifts a lot easier to learn than the full squat versions, and more forgiving too.