Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanda is dead in TX as it is in CA?

Sanda is dead in TX as it is in CA?

Seems ICMAC tourney here in Dallas may not be able to get the Sanda fights going. Based on TX law of not being able to have an elimination tournament and licensing issues. Although they may be able to do a fight card tourney of sorts, I do not know how that is going to work.

Anyways, this is sad news. Bad enough there aren't many CMA tourneys to be had. Now it seems the ones we have will be crippled due to the state's medling.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

All promoters have to do to keep San Da going is get sanctioning from the boxing commission, which is the smart thing to do, and to just have 1 fight per day, which is also the smart thing to do.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

imagine if something like taiji legacy had a bracket a day like golden gloves....
    that'd be pretty awesome
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    imagine if something like taiji legacy had a bracket a day like golden gloves....
    that'd be pretty awesome
    Awesome, yes...long week, yes...
    when people have to take vacations to compete, that would suck.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Awesome, yes...long week, yes...
    when people have to take vacations to compete, that would suck.
    well taiji legacy/kung fu legends runs for like a week anyway, right?
    every night could be "fight night", with a bracket from every weight class fought out each night.
    I don't think anybody has more than 4 fights to win their division anyway, so it might be 4 nights maximum.
    The first night would probably be the only long one, with 8 fights max per division.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 01-12-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

2.5 days actually. Taiji Legacy starts Friday afternoon with registrations and seminars.

Although a seperate event in conjunction with the tournament would work.

And all of this is surprising to you?

Come on, the information has been out there.

I hardly keep up with Sanda/Sanshou laws. The AAU CMA has another person who was SUPPOSED to do that.

However, shortly after the Texas law was passed, I asked the question of that person as to how the new law would impact competitions in Texas.

The answer I got revealed that neither he nor most of the people involved with any of the competitions in Texas had taken the time or put out the effort to READ THE LAW.

I DID!

So, roughly 3 years ago, I informed a number of people...and not just the AAU but other groups as well, that such competitions in Texas were illegal and what the pertinent parts of the law were.

So...we are just now finding out about it...not really.

This movement started in New York and California. Part of it was due to the various Boxing Commissions wanting to control it all and get money. It was actually an issue back in 1995 in Baltimore, Maryland when the IWuF Sanshou competitions were held...and had anyone from the government or boxing commission shown up, the event would have been shut down.

It continued on and got strength with the back alley "Fight Clubs" that started in a seedy way and then made their way onto college campuses...where the young and dumb and full of *** were more than happy to beat each other senseless with not so much as a person trained in CPR and first aid in residence.

So, in reaction to the one or two accidents and horror stories about the uncontrolled full contact matches - the Texas law came to be.

Due to head trauma, groups like the AAU dropped their boxing divisions and then outlawed all full contact events. BUT...since they are now outlawed all over a number of states, this is quickly becoming the rule rather than the exception.

Changing it back...first, you need to take on the Boxing commissions or show them that these events are no threat to their money.

Then you have to show some level of safety and do something to make the bakc alley events excluded from being legal.

And then, in 5 or 10 years, you MIGHT be able to turn back the clock on this.

Sanda's dead?

Does that mean the easter bunny and tooth fairy are dead too?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Does that mean the easter bunny and tooth fairy are dead too?
    it was nasty - TF started out w/a wand to the eye, and as he lurched forward, EB sunk his little fangs into her neck, and before the ref could step in, pfft!

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    And all of this is surprising to you?

Not really. What surprises me is the ease of how this came to be. Much like the right to keeo and bear arms get erroded via a back door legislation, similar to what they tried to tack on the healthcare bill.

The wussification of this United States continues.

This is upsetting, but since I have professed in the past that I am hanging up my gloves and transitioning to becoming a forms dancer............... this still ****es me off.

Look on the bright side, at least there are other combat sports options in your area. Personally, I would love to not have to go out of state to compete, but in WV, MMA, kickboxing, sanda, pretty much everything except boxing is not legal. The reason why is simple greed from the boxing comission, they don't want any hands in their cookie jar. Kickboxing and MMA are illegal, yet Toughman Contests are held in every city where any out of shape, untrained slob can show up that night and fight. Sucks but it is what it is.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Actually that death knell is for MMA as well - at least in Texas.

For any full contact event, unless it is something like a fraternity - and limited to only the frat members... all full contact events fall under the umbrella of the new law.

This means that any full contact event that starts out and does A fights B, C fights D, then the winners of those two fights fight each other...as in Elimination Style - are illegal.

Carded or multi-event tournaments where cards are determined by a previous event ARE legal provided the promoter and the competitors have the proper license, insurance, etc...

Now, if someone were to step up and organize all of the various competitions to work with a 1 year schedule where competitors fought in multiple events, it might work. Which would mean the first event of the year would have a large number of people fighting - 1 time. and the final event of the year would truly be the finals determining the year's winner.

Such a thing COULD work - but requires a level of unity in all martial art events that is nowhere near a reality at this time.

Or gather the CMA community into one sanctioning body. Which would never happen.

Making this come to be :

Well, first you have a group of people who would like gambling in Texas that get together with some boxing folks in Texas and then get together with national boxing entities...and you have a group that has a financial interest to close the door to all events EXCEPT theirs.

Then you get the MMA pros on board...and you have ALL of the bigger money interests lined up to try to get a law passed.

Next, you have one or two 'expose' newscasts and one or two "Good college kids" injured in a poorly run or back alley event....and soon you have the do-gooder types jumping on the bandwagon to protect our youth. They add in the idea that kids under 18 are also involved - even though (and I am not sure about boxing...but) no martial art event with full contact that I know of allows anyone under 18 to compete.

Now you have the money interests and the "let's protect our youth" group banded together...and with those two driving the train, you could get playing pool at the YMCA made illegal.

So Sanda is dead in TX.