Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Cameron's: Avatar

Thumbs up James Cameron's: Avatar

I did a forum, and advanced thread title search and didnt see a thread on this one. So if there is one, please pardon my horrid search-fu skeelz.

I finally went to see it, in 3d. To be honest, from all the hype I didnt want to get into this movie, I wanted to not like it because everyone loves it so much. But, IMO, Avatar deserves the hype, every bit of it. I had a great time with this movie, and plan to go see a non 3d version also, its just that fun. The 3 hours goes by so fast, it leaves you wishing it were a 5 hour movie. I like the aspect that this story is open for advancement. I would definately watch a sequal as long as it was a different story. Perhaps completely native, no humans.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I finally went last night. I also saw the 3D version. It's an okay novelty I guess but 2D would have been just as enjoyable.

The actual story itself is cut and dried. You know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. In fact it's pretty much geared towards the 12-14 year old crowd. I do wish they could have blurred the lines a little and made one of the Na'vi a villian.....however that might have confused the kids.

I did enjoy the message the movie delivered and actually compared it to Manifest Destiny conquests in the 17-18 hundreds. After seeing it I do understand why so many conservatives in this country are up in arms and saying that you hate America if you go to this movie. It hits real close to home to those people. One thing I did notice was that all the bad guys in this movie were all lilly white. There was not a black, brown, yellow face to be found anywhere. It kinda reminded me of a teabagger rally!

I did like Sigorney Weaver in this movie and though she had aged well. Finally I thought all of those Na'vi chicks were hot! They should introduce the Na'vi diet to American women!

One more thing....Notice how they set it up perfectly for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    yep, this is where im hoping the more adult oriented story, with a navi villain, come into play. like i said, keep the humans out of the sequal, maybe all new characters all together.

lol there was this guy in the theater when i was watching it that yelled out 'nip' every time he saw a nipple LOL it was hillarious....at first.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I enjoyed Avatar immensely, but couldn't help comparing it in my mind to Dances With Wolves. Outsider becomes part of the tribe, and eventually becomes the standout of the tribe. In this case, instead of Native American tribes, they were blue giants, but the comparisons are no accident. I chose to see it in 2D, as I don't care for 3D.

Cameron (almost) always delivers in the quality department, esp. when it comes to big-time action. He doesn't come out with lots and lots of films like many directors do, but when he does, they're usually outstanding.

I also thought about Aliens, where the earthling/hero (Sigourney Weaver) donned a robotic outer shell to fight the alien; this time, it was the earthling/villain who donned the outer shell, fighting the good-guy extraterrestrials. I thought Weaver played her role very well in Avatar as well. Michelle Rodriquez seemed made to be in a James Cameron movie. But to be honest, I thought anybody could have played the main guy; he did a good job but his character was very generic.

As for all the bad guys being lilly-white, so are most of the main human characters. It is, after all, a James Cameron film. It seems a difficult thing for the majority of Hollywood directors to break convention. I would have thought that far into the 'future' that humanity would have been a little more integrated, but it's Hollywood, after all.

In spite of the film's predictability, IMO it also had some good messages, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Here's what JC has to say about it:
    “I’ve had a storyline in mind from the start — there are even scenes in Avatar that I kept in because they lead to the sequel. It just makes sense to think of it as a two or three film arc, in terms of the business plan. The CG plants and trees and creatures and the musculo-skeletal rigging of the main characters — that all takes an enormous amount of time to create. It’d be a waste not to use it again.”
    Sam Worthington is already signed to play Jake Sully again and suggests "Jake should have abused his avatar and be fat and unfit and demand Neyteri to get him a beer."

Meanwhile producer Jon Landau has this to say about a sequel:
    If the public likes Avatar, it’s a possibility. After all, here we are exploring the surface of the planet Pandora. The interior remains to be seen.
    However there's still work on the other film JC was developing along side of AVATAR: Battle Angel

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

nice pic posts. we are all secretly in love with the blue lady.

you also posted an application to a drop stance! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    nice pic posts. we are all secretly in love with the blue lady.

you also posted an application to a drop stance! lol
    It's what I do.
    There will be a "sex scene" in the Avatar DVD/Blu-Ray.

I have it on good authority that Na'vi women are clean shaven.

I like that tail thinge that you could hook into....sweet! She had hair on the end of that!

god that movie looks so ****in dumb

have you guys heard about those idiot skilling themselves over that movie lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

dont talk **** about the blue lady or i will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep with a rusty screwdriver!

like i said i didnt want to like it. even if you hate the story line, the action scenes / nature scenes / blue lady scenes are worth it in and of itself.

unless your a raging hom0 sexual

LOL!!

screw the blue lady ill take rachel mcadams prancing around in tight pants in sherlock holmes

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down