Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaoliners...

Shaoliners...

Do you plan to be practicing your Shaolin routines when your 70 or older. Why or why not?

Yep. Cause I've proven to myself that I can't seem to quit martial arts. I keep coming back. Even after a 12yrs hiatus.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

as long as i am alive and able, yes. i like the ones ive saved and they continue to grow with me. ill be interested to see how they change with me into old age.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It depends on whether I remember them or not!

You will remember it alright, just that the body won't be able to remember how. On the other hand, I will still be able to do mine.

Until the day I die of old age.

It has been what has kept me alive in the first place, I almost died some many times for medical reasons and doctors always marveled that I made it, but I knew that the Shaolin neigong that I practiced kept me from dieing.
    And the Shaolin Rou Quan I practiced allowed me to survive any street fights that happened or muggings.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    Do you plan to be practicing your Shaolin routines when your 70 or older. Why or why not?
    there is an old saying amongst the masters... practice young, what you can still do when old.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    there is an old saying amongst the masters... practice young, what you can still do when old.

You can entertain your fellow jello-eaters at the old folks home with your amazing 'martial' juggling...

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    You can entertain your fellow jello-eaters at the old folks home with your amazing 'martial' juggling...
    LOL... and if you were in the crowd i'd accidently drop an iron ball onto you foot... oops.

im 46 this year.

so far, so good. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm with you DJ

Some days, I'm saddened that the blush of youth is gone and I can't do a fraction of what I could do back in the day. I marvel at my intensive periods at Shaolin gone by and can't imagine being able to train at that level again. But like Sal, I've had my medical issues, and Shaolin practice has been my redemption. Sometimes I think I'd like to give it up, but if I don't practice everyday, my body starts to hurt from old wounds. Never mind my vocation, there isn't really much choice in it for me. I'm in it for life.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

like a fine wine...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    if I don't practice everyday, my body starts to hurt from old wounds.
    you have a head start on me, but im so with you on this one.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    LOL... and if you were in the crowd i'd accidently drop an iron ball onto you foot... oops.

Gosh, doesn't that sound terrifying...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Some days, I'm saddened that the blush of youth is gone and I can't do a fraction of what I could do back in the day. I marvel at my intensive periods at Shaolin gone by and can't imagine being able to train at that level again. But like Sal, I've had my medical issues, and Shaolin practice has been my redemption. Sometimes I think I'd like to give it up, but if I don't practice everyday, my body starts to hurt from old wounds. Never mind my vocation, there isn't really much choice in it for me. I'm in it for life.
    that's the beauty of tasting waters from the eternal wellspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Gosh, doesn't that sound terrifying...
    don't p!ss yourself now...

some of my 'why'

that is one of the beauties i find in form practice itself. this is something you can definately do far into old age, being physically limited will always play a part, but as long as you are relatively ok, you can do form work till you die.

personally ive already started to incorporate more 'internal' aspects to my form practice. playing with the movements more, developing my own twist to the routine(s)(2). feeling how my body responds over all to the practice. the forms themselves are still martial in intention for me, but are becoming less so, as i focus recieving my martial development from other sources.

there is something intimately wonderful about becoming more in tune with any form of movement.

dancers know exactly what this feels like. as do many martial artists. but keep in mind, and this is what a lot of people tend to forget/ignore, that particular element is the same for any physical endeavor, IME/IMO. this is where you see people equate form work to dancing. well in part they are correct, and in part they are so far off base, but thats not something you can easily explain and be not only understood, but experienced, but you can apply this to more than dancing; race car driving, sky diving, rock climbing, pole vaulting, speed skating, sex, fighting, forms, running, etc.

stalking for example, (and i dont mean the ladies) have you ever spent countless hours just learning to stalk quietly? to be able to walk through the woods as silently as possible. to be able to tread on concrete or tile without making any sound, regardless of footwear. when you get to a point where you actually notice a shift in your skill, you can sneak up on dogs and cats, other people, birds, etc. the exact same intimacy is involved here as it is in evolving and developing your form(s), IME.

thats one particular element that I myself fell in love with. i am a martial artist, but i dont fight unless i need to, im talking real fighting. ive put my time in sparring and training, and while self defense has always been a major factor in my studies and training, there has always been and always will be the artistic self expression through movement. this is something you'll find a lot of martial artists have in common. some dont even know it yet! lol.
    Last edited by Lucas; 01-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.