Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Wannabe Bruce Lees

Bad Day for Wannabe Bruce Lees

This thread is somewhat parallel to our Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes thread but about nunchuks. We'll see where this goes...

Bankrupt man says his life is threatened
    The Press
    Last updated 07:45 20/01/2010

Bankrupt moneylender Darryn Hunt treats his home like a fortress, convinced his life is threatened by investors who claim he owes them millions of dollars.

At noon on Monday, the curtains in his Rangiora home were drawn. The only view outside was through two screens linked to security cameras monitoring the back and front of the house.

The cameras were installed this month, two days after four men approached Mr Hunt's home seeking money he allegedly owed.

His wife, Ruth, called the police, who arrested two of the men for offensive language.

He said he did not sleep at night and watched the security cameras constantly, fearing for his life.

"It's been arranged and it's going to happen [an attack]," he said. "I'm worried sick about it. I can't move because I'm on bail."

Mr Hunt said four hooded figures in a white Honda Civic had made short stops outside his house, but drove away when he went to confront them, armed with his nunchaku.

Two nunchakus sit on the couple's bed, and Mr Hunt said he had a samurai sword.

"I'd do whatever I have to do to defend myself."

Mr Hunt was adjudicated bankrupt in October 2007, for the third time, on petition from an Australia- based investor claiming he was owed $4.1 million. Mr Hunt's investors included former All Blacks, Black Caps and Crusaders.

Both of his moneylending business were wound up soon after the bankruptcy, but almost no money was recovered.

In November last year, the Serious Fraud Office charged him with one count of obtaining investors' funds by deception and two of obstructing an investigation.

Since being made bankrupt, Mr Hunt said, he had moved house several times to avoid aggressive investors.

Death threats against him and his family had been made by email, post and on notes left on his car's windscreen.

He said he had been told he would be killed in prison and, in a separate threat, that his family would be chopped up and put in bodybags.

Mr Hunt and his wife are unemployed and rent their Rangiora house, living with their 16-year-old son and seven cats.
    Manslaughter plea nets homeless man 25 months
    By Laura McVicker
    Columbian Staff Writer
    Thursday, January 7, 2010

A transient was sentenced Wednesday to 25 months in prison for second-degree manslaughter.

Jeffrey R. Marshall, 31, was sentenced by Clark County Superior Court Judge John Nichols. Marshall had pleaded guilty to the charge at a Dec. 18 hearing.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed by the Vancouver Police Department, Marshall attacked an acquaintance, Benjamin J. Hernandez, at Waterworks Park on May 13, 2006, with an object, described as a lead pipe or a type of homemade nunchaku.

Hernandez suffered a jaw fracture and underwent surgery at Portland’s Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. Following the procedure, swelling in his throat caused Hernandez to suffocate.

Deputy Prosecutor Tony Golik contended his death was caused by a combination of the assault, the surgery and pain medication, and that Marshall recklessly caused his death.

Witnesses told police that Marshall, upset over a previous altercation, approached Hernandez at the park at Fourth Plain Boulevard and Fort Vancouver Way. Marshall reportedly had slung a sock filled with rocks or weights in the fashion of a nunchaku, and had knocked Hernandez to the ground, according to the affidavit.

Then, two weeks after the incident, Marshall provided details about the alleged assault to a friend. Marshall said “he got in a fight with a guy and just freaked out.” He told the friend he had used a lead pipe in the fight, the affidavit said.

Though the incident happened more than three years ago, Marshall wasn’t arrested until October because he was homeless and, therefore, difficult to track down, prosecutors said.

Marshall’s court-appointed attorney, Clark Fridley, said Wednesday his client wanted to plead guilty because “he realized that he was in an altercation with somebody and (that) they died and he wanted to take responsibility for it.”
    Police Blotter is fruitful
    FELONY ARRESTS • Merle Ray Ellis, 46, of Citrus Heights, was arrested by Yuba County Sheriff's Department at 6:33 p.m. Friday at North Beale Road and Woodland Drive on suspicion of possession of nunchaku. He was booked into Yuba County Jail.
    FELONY ARRESTS • Daniel Lee Hatz, 41, of the 700 block of Evergreen Drive, Wheatland, was arrested by the Wheatland Police Department at 7:51 p.m. Dec. 30 at Highway 65 and Second Street on suspicion of possession of nunchaku. He was booked into Yuba County Jail.
    FELONY ARRESTS • Gerardo Gonzalez, 27, of the 1800 block of Berry Road, Rio Oso, was arrested by the California Highway Patrol at 10:45 a.m. Jan. 13 at North Beale Road and Feather River Boulevard on suspicion of possession of a nunchaku. He was booked into Yuba County Jail.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i used to know this guy who would make bruce lee sounds when he sparred. it was really funny, but he was totally serious.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This movie = this thread.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 01-20-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: fixed link
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I knew there would be more...

I'm getting so into Police Blotter:
    FELONY ARRESTS

• Dustin Jones Santos, 21, of the 1100 block of East 22nd Street, Marysville, was arrested by the Marysville Police Department at 1:29 a.m. Jan. 24 in the 1300 block of Hobart Drive on suspicion of nunchaku possession with intent to sell. He was booked into Yuba County Jail.
    Police win seven-year fight with weapons shop
    Jan 24 2010 Norman Silvester, Sunday Mail

A SHOPKEEPER has been banned from selling dangerous weapons after a seven-year battle by police.

David McCormick offered weapons including samurai swords, replica firearms and airguns from his Handyman store.

At one stage, police chiefs were forced to hand back more than 30 weapons, including nunchaku fighting sticks, after a failed prosecution.

But now they have managed to close down the weapons side of the business after McCormick's son Steven, 38, was convicted of three charges of selling illegal weapons.

His father said he had now withdrawn all weapons from sale in his shop in Saltcoats, Ayrshire.

The shop has also lost its licence to sell airguns.

But McCormick says his son, who was caught in a police sting operation last year, intends to appeal.

They raided the shop and confiscated weapons worth thousands of pounds after Steven sold an undercover cop a knife disguised as a brooch.

He was convicted of selling the disguised knife, a weighted short-chain weapon and a Japanese concealed sword when he appeared at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court.

He was fined a total of £1800 and the sheriff also ruled that the weapons should not be returned to the McCormicks.

David, 61, said : "We do not sell to neds or criminal types. Most of our customers were martial arts enthusiasts."

A police spokesman said: "We are committed to removing dangerous weapons from the streets.
    Want to buy some chuks? Just make sure you're in a state where they are legal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pot growers & nunchuks

Bruce was into pot and nunchuks. Is there a connection?
    Traffic Stop Leads To Seizure Of 130 Marijuana Plants
    3 Arrested
    POSTED: 6:22 pm PST January 27, 2010

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Three people have been arrested and 130 marijuana plants have been recovered after deputies pulled over a 19-year-old woman.

On Wednesday morning, Kern County Sheriff's Deputies conducted a traffic stop on Katie Parker, 19, of Bakersfield, at Haley and Columbus Streets.

Deputies said the car Parker was driving was reported stolen from Taft.

Deputies said Parker had a small amount of marijuana in her possession.

Deputies arrested Parker.

The stolen vehicle was returned to the owner, deputies said.

Deputies obtained a search warrant for Parker's residence.

The residence is located in the 1700 block of Crestview Street in Bakersfield.

Deputies said they located Parker's husband, Matthew Bryant, 27, and Stuart Carroll, 32, inside the residence.

Deputies said they found over 130 marijuana plants being grown inside the residence.

A scale and packaging were also seized.

A billy club and a pair of nunchaku were also located inside the home.

Parker, Bryant, and Carroll were all arrested on charges of illegal cultivation and possession for sales of marijuana as well as conspiracy.

Carroll and Bryant were also arrested on charges of possession of a deadly weapon.

In addition, Parker was also arrested on charges of possession of a stolen vehicle.

All three were booked into the Kern County Jail.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it's amazing at what is considered "illegal" - ironically these people were arrested by people allowed to wear and use guns, go figure.

About two years ago, my kung fu brother and i were playing with my nunchukas. He was showing me a move and i was trying it out. We were in the parking lot of my kung fu school standing near my car. A cop pulled up and rolled his window down. I couldnt hear what he was saying so i put the chucks down and walked closer. He told me that those are illegal to be in public and if i didnt put them in the trunk and take them home he could arrest me. I didnt argue with him and i did just that, but i thought it was kind of silly when we were right outside of a kung fu school. And then i thought back to all the times i would bring them to the park and practice outside with the guys. We could have been arrested, thats craziness. Im happy the cop didnt check my car because i had some razor sharp ninja swords in the trunk.

Needless to say i now leave everything in my house/backyard.

hold the phone...

Suspicion? He was busted because they suspected he had nunchuks?
    FELONY ARRESTS
    • John Matthew-Zachary Francis, 19, of the 4600 block of Fleming Way, Olivehurst, was arrested by Yuba County Sheriff's Department at 9:07 p.m. Friday on Fleming Way on suspicion of possession of nunchaku. He was booked into Yuba County Jail.
    I know, it's just the legaleze, but that sounds really funny.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A statuesque female song and dance duo wielding nunchuks? Could be good. Can't tell without pix and my web fu failed me on finding any.
    Feb 5, 2010
    Feel the Tiger beat

MANDOPOP nightspots are gearing up for a roaring weekend from next Friday to Feb 14 to usher in the Year of the Tiger.

Revellers are spoilt for choice, with at least five Lunar New Year parties being held at the big clubs, compared to just three last year.

Putting the year of the ox - and the yoke of its recession - behind them, club owners are spending more this time around to wow partygoers with entertainment offerings. They have their paws on bigger amounts, ranging from $5,000 to $20,000, which they have spent on acts that include spectacular dance routines with martial arts elements and a musical called Journey To The West.

Last year, operators spent modestly and staged less elaborate shows, when the sums for the ox were not so bullish. The new acts include a female dance duo called 520, who will perform at the Shanghai Dolly club in Clarke Quay in what is billed as a Grand Shanghainese Reunion Show.

The statuesque pair from China, both 1.72m tall, make their song-and-dance routine stand out from the crowd through the use of nunchaku or martial arts chain-sticks. These sticks, made famous by the late Bruce Lee in his movies, are weapons that can be whirled around, having damageinducing wooden handles and chains that can wrap around an object.

The duo were hired by the three-month-old club last month, along with three female singers and two deejays from China. The Grand Shanghainese Reunion Show next Saturday and Sunday will launch these new acts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More police blotter

There's a nunchuk bust on almost every installment.
    Police Blotter: Feb. 17, 2010
    Police blotter listings are compiled from reports filed with area law enforcement and public safety agencies.

FELONY ARRESTS

• James Benaiah Renton, 21, of Oroville, was arrested by the Yuba County Sheriff's Department at 11:56 p.m. Feb. 14 at Highway 70 and Plumas Lake Boulevard on suspicion of possession of nunchaku. He was booked into Yuba County Jail.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

summary justice

Didn't this guy see Return of the Dragon? Never brandish rice flails if you don't know how to use them.
    Halesowen man knocked out after threatening people with nunchucks
    12:25pm Tuesday 2nd March 2010

A 23-year-old Halesowen man seen standing in a Kung Fu pose weilding a pair of nunchucks ended up being knocked unconscious to the ground.

The two men carried out their own form of "summary justice" on Sami Noor before fleeing from the scene, Wolverhampton Crown Court was told.

Recorder James Burbidge QC told Noor, "That is the trouble with street fighting - there are times when you end up much worse off than the other man."

He added, "Those who fight in the street normally go straight to prison. If you fight again in the future that is where you will definitely end up."

The Recorder admitted he was not satisfied who started the fight adding: "I do not know if you were the main protagonist. But if it had been proved you produced this weapon you would have gone to prison."

Noor of Foxhunt Road, Halesowen admitted affray and he was made the subject of an 18 months Supervision Order after the Recorder ruled it was clear he needed "guidance and help."

Mr Oliver Woolhouse defending said the nunchucks, also known as rice flails, did not belong to Noor - he had simply picked them up because there were other men around him.

He said Noor was kicked into unconsciousness by the two men adding, "Some form of summary justice was immediately meted out."

Mr Gurdeep Garcha prosecuting said a man working at the Chevrolet Garage in Dudley Road, Halesowen saw Noor in an altercation with the two other men.

Noor was holding the set of rice flails in a Kung Fu pose and he was seen to strike the one man on the shoulder about three of four times.

He was being aggressive and intimidating, said Mr Garcha, but he then ended up on the floor where he was kicked about four times and he was still in a prone position when police officers arrived on the scene.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Drunken nunchaku. I love the sound of that.

Two wooden chair legs tied together don't make a good nunchuk...
    Attack with nunchakus
    SALLY GLAETZER

March 25, 2010 12:01am

A MAN attacked his neighbour with a home-made nunchaku then later offered to stitch the wounds, a court has heard.

Andrew Leigh Webb, 24, of New Norfolk, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court in Hobart yesterday to assaulting and wounding a man who lived in his apartment block.

On July 16 last year, a group of people attacked Webb's unit, breaking windows and kicking holes in the door.

His lawyer Steve Chopping said there was no apparent reason for the attack but Webb suspected his neighbour was involved.

He stormed into the man's unit and dragged him outside.

Webb kicked the man, then left and returned with nunchaku he had made from two wooden chair legs tied together with rope.

He hit the man to a leg and the head, causing a deep gash above his victim's ear.

Webb ran off but later returned to find his victim bleeding.

"Come to my place, we'll stitch you up, you'll be right," Webb said to his victim.

The court heard the man refused and held on to furniture to prevent himself being dragged outside.

Police arrived to investigate the attack on Webb's unit and he told them his neighbour had been bashed.

He denied being involved in the assault.

Webb's victim stayed in hospital overnight and needed four staples and three stitches for the gash on his head.

Mr Chopping said his client had suffered traumatic events in his family life and was drunk at the time of the attack.

He said Webb took pride in his unit and lost control when it was trashed.

Justice Peter Evans jailed Webb for six months.
    Drunken nunchaku attack ends in jail
    Posted March 24, 2010 16:06:00

A southern Tasmanian man who split open another man's scalp with a home-made nunchaku has been sent to jail.

Andrew Leigh Webb pleaded guilty to assault and wounding at New Norfolk last July.

The Supreme Court in Hobart heard the 24-year-old lived in a block of units for disadvantaged people.

On the night of the crime, Webb's unit was trashed and he believed the complainant was involved.

He dragged the complainant from a nearby unit and kicked him several times, before leaving and returning with a home-made nunchaku made from what appeared to be chair legs tied together with rope.

He hit his victim's shin and head with the weapon, causing a six centimetre head wound that required staples and stitches.

The court heard Webb was drunk when he committed the attack.

Justice Peter Evans sentenced him to six months in jail.
    Drunken Nunchaku would make a great name for a rock band. Long live kung fu music!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

mr. chopping.... LOL

I hate to ask but...

...was this a member here?
    Mentally ill man was armed with nunchucks
    By Conor Gallagher
    Wednesday April 14 2010

A mentally ill man who was found in possession of a set of nunchucks in the city centre has been given a suspended sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Andrew Doyle (36) of Rutland Avenue, Seagull House, Crumlin told gardai that he had the martial arts weapon for his own protection.

Judge Desmond Hogan said he believed the matter should have been dealt with in the District Court and sentenced Doyle to six months, suspended in full on strict conditions.

Doyle pleaded guilty to possession of the weapon on O'Connell Street on February 21, 2009.

Garda David Ryan told prosecuting counsel, John Quirke, that he saw Doyle acting suspiciously and approached him. He asked him for his details and Doyle admitted straight away he had the weapon.

He was arrested and charged at Store Street Garda Station before being released. Gda Ryan said Doyle had two previous convictions, for assault and car theft.

Defence counsel David Hegarty said Doyle was dealing with severe mental issues at the time and suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Been falling behind on this

Dumbarton thug is jailed after row over macaroni
    Jul 30 2010 Lennox Herald (main ed)

A THUG covered in macaroni leapt from a wardrobe at police with a set of nunchucks and told them: “Yous are f****** getting it.”

Douglas Harkin lost the plot after being the victim of a food prank at his ex-girlfriend’s house and then lashed out when cops arrived.

The 21-year-old had been hiding from officers and jumped out at them with the dangerous weapon when they opened the wardrobe doors.

Harkin, of Barwoodhill in Dumbarton, admitted the offence when he appeared from custody at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last week.

The court heard how Harkin, who was on probation at the time, flew into a rage following a boozing session with his ex-girlfriend at her home in Merkins Avenue, Bellsmyre, on March 17.

Defence lawyer Paul Crozier explained: “He fell asleep and wakened to find his former partner had filled his boots with macaroni. She also put macaroni over him.

“He woke up and threw the boot at her. That’s why he lost his temper.”

The court heard how the frightened girl phoned a friend for help and the police were later contacted.

Fiscal depute Jeanette McLean said: “Prior to their arrival, the accused continued to make threats to the victim, saying ‘if the f****** polis come here I’ll f****** kill you’ and ‘already dead anyway’.

“These comments were made in the presence of two (of the victim’s) friends who had made their way to the locus.”

When the police arrived, Harkin hid in a bedroom wardrobe with the set of nunchucks in the waistband of his trousers.

After the police opened the wardrobe doors, Harkin reached towards his waistband and leapt out shouting: “I’ve had enough of you c**** harassing her. Yous are f****** getting it.”

The two cops struggled with Harkin and he thrashed about trying to resist arrest. They finally managed to restrain him on the bed and he was led away, while still shouting and swearing, down the hallway.

Lawyer Paul Crozier said that Harkin regretted going to his ex-girlfriend’s house that night.

He said: “It was an act of extreme foolishness on his part. He wanted to get back with her.”

Harkin, who had spent 64 days in jail since the incident, also previously admitted possession of an imitation gun at Greenlands Reservoir, near Overtoun House, in Dumbarton, on July 10 last year.

Sheriff Bill Dunlop sentenced Harkins for all crimes, jailing him for a further 60 days.
    This is another reason why I recommend nachos over macaroni.

Accused of nunchucks possession
    Published Date: 28 July 2010

A MAN has been remanded in custody after being accused of being in possession of a set of nunchucks.

Christopher Bowlt, 27, appeared before Hartlepool Magistrates Court charged with allegedly possessing the traditional oriental weapon – two sticks connected at their ends with a short chain or rope – on July 24.

He is also accused of using threatening words or behaviour on the same day, in the Rift House area of town.

Chairman of the bench Barbara Sutherland remanded Bowlt, of Caxton Grove, Hartlepool, into custody, to return to court on August 2.
    Getting busted for possession sucks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips