Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day for Wannabe Bruce Lees

Nasia Jansen

I can't believe Nasia Jansen has escaped our attention here for so long.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'd love to check out those Police-issue chucks.

More on Peace Officers and chucks.

Calling Bruce Lee: Will more police acquire nunchucks? (with related video)
    Jan 15, 2016 Michael Keating | Government Product News

The Anderson, Calif., police acquired the Orcutt Police Nunchaku (OPN) from Denver-based Orcutt Police Defensive Systems, Inc. (OPDS). The photo shows examples of the OPN product.

A Northern California town has decided to equip its 20 officers with nunchaku sticks, a martial arts weapon. Police in Anderson, in California’s Shasta County, believe that the device, sometimes referred to as nunchucks or nunchucku, will help officers take down suspects. With the product, trained officers can quickly hobble wrists and/or ankles; the device can help control a suspect without brute force.

The Chinese Kung Fu weapon features double sectional sticks often connected by a nylon cord. It was made famous in Bruce Lee movies from the 1970s.

Manny DeCastro, president of Buki Yuushuu LLC, tells GPN that in the hands of a talented practitioner, the Nunchaku is an extremely useful weapon. “The weapon can simply be used to block and lock an assailant, striking, all the way to the actual use of deadly force.” He adds: “Yes, the Nunchaku can do it all.” DeCastro’s firm, based in Stonington, Conn., custom-manufactures the product in different lengths, weights and sizes.

Police have an abundance of weapons, says DeCastro. “The police utility or duty belt is already filled with weapons they don’t know how to use. Why add another one?” He notes that police already carry guns, Tasers, PR-24 (batons), pepper sprays, slap-jacks and similar devices.

DeCastro says it’s not about giving police nunchucks so they can carry more weapons. “It’s about police having the ability and training to use them. Our police departments, in my opinion, need more training in use of force and the proper weapon for this use. We need to help these people to do the difficult job that they do.”

DeCastro says that police need to define the outcome they want when the weapon is used. He says that the length, weight and size of the nunchuck will produce different outcomes in the hands of an officer.

The manufacturing executive says training is crucial, and should be included in the purchsse of a nunchuck. “As with any other weapon, training is always required. With the Nunchaku it is absolutely required as the weapon is so fast, in the hands of the untrained, they could easily get hurt themselves.”

In the video, an Anderson, Calif. officer tells how nunchucks are used to subdue unruly suspects.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A two-fer

LEGALIZE IT!

Updated Jan 20, 2016 - 11:39 am
    Arizona House committee holds bill to legalize nunchucks
    SHARE STORY BY ASSOCIATED PRESS | January 20, 2016 @ 8:18 am

PHOENIX — An Arizona House committee has held a bill that would legalize nunchucks.

Republican Rep. Mark Finchem of Oro Valley sponsored House Bill 2042 to legalize the weapon popularized by martial arts films.

The House Judiciary Committee met Wednesday.

Former Sen. Kelli Ward (R-Lake Havasu City) attempted to legalize nunchucks last session. Her amendment to a relatively minor bill that didn’t pass included the legalization of silencers and sawed-off shotguns.

Finchem’s measure defined “nunchakus” as an instrument that consists of two or more sticks, clubs, bars, or rods connected by ropes, cords, wires, or chains to create a self-defense weapon.
    And then there's this...

SC woman accused of beating husband with nunchucks because he wouldn’t have sex with her
    POSTED 9:03 PM, JANUARY 24, 2016, BY WEB STAFF

Sondra Earle-Kelly, 51, of Rock Hill

ROCK HILL, S.C. — A South Carolina woman is accused of beating her husband with nunchucks because he refused to have sex with her.

The Charlotte Observer reported that Sondra Earle-Kelly, 51, of Rock Hill, faces charges of aggravated domestic violence in connection to the incident.

Police were called to the suspect’s home in Rock Hill on Sunday night and found blood “all over the victim when they got there.

The victim reportedly refused to have sex with the suspect, causing her to become upset. The suspect then allegedly threw ceramic figurines at the victim and hit him with nunchucks.

The suspect was jailed under a $15,000 bond. She had reportedly been taking Xanax that night.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Domestic assault using nunchucks.

Jail term upheld for man convicted of assaulting woman with martial arts weapons
    John Edgar Phillips used nunchucks against son's mother as boy witnessed crime
    Paula Dobbyn/KTUU
    POSTED: 03:11 PM AKST Feb 26, 2016 UPDATED: 03:17 PM AKST Feb 26, 2016

Courtroom generic shot.

The Alaska Court of Appeals has upheld the maximum five-year prison sentence for a man convicted of attacking a woman with nunchucks.

John Edgar Phillip, 54, had appealed the sentence, claiming the superior court failed to make the necessary “worst offender” finding to impose the highest sentence possible for his conviction of third-degree assault.

The case stemmed from Phillip’s August 2013 domestic violence assault involving nunchucks, a martial arts weapon consisting of two sticks connected at one end by a short chain or rope.

According to court documents, Phillip and the woman's 8-year-old son witnessed the assault. It was Phillip’s fifth felony conviction.

The woman also was the victim in a 1998 misdemeanor fourth-degree assault by Phillip, court records show.

The victims in all of Phillip’s other assault cases – felony and misdemeanor – have been women, the appeals court judges noted in their decision on Wednesday.

Phillip has 17 other misdemeanor convictions, three of them for driving under the influence.

Superior Court Judge Vanessa White found that Phillip has a long history of assaults and other dangerous behaviors while drinking alcohol. White found Phillip’s continued alcohol dependence, plus his earlier diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder, presented “a tremendous danger to those around him,” court papers said.

The appeals court sided with White, noting Phillip’s record and the superior court judge’s remarks at sentencing.
    ugh...some people...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anna Ranoso

First Nasia and now Anna. Is this now a thing? Because I would totally support that. We may need a nunchuk hotties thread.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Anna

If we can find a 3rd hottie, I'll totally copy this off into a nunchuk hotties thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Found!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If we can find a 3rd hottie, I'll totally copy this off into a nunchuk hotties thread.
    Not that I was looking...the new one Jennifer Li just popped up on my facebook - see Nunchuck Hotties
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bo Dallas

click for vid.

WWE'S BO DALLAS
    VIDEO OF DRUNKEN AIRPORT ARREST
    ... Are Those Nunchucks?

24 9/12/2016 12:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    EXCLUSIVE

THE DRUNKEN ARRESTTMZSports.com
    TMZ Sports has obtained footage of WWE superstar Bo Dallas being arrested at an airport in Texas ... moments after he was booted from his flight to Mexico for drunkenly yelling at the flight crew.
    In the video, taken on August 26th, you see Bo can barely stand up straight and is slurring his words when approached by security at Dallas Fort Worth airport.
    According to the police report, first obtained by ProWrestlingSheet.com, Bo told the cops he had been drinking earlier in the day -- and when asked how much he replied, "I'm not really planning on driving tonight."
    Bo was arrested for public intoxication -- but cops noted he was extremely cooperative.
    Bo told cops he was a wrestler for WWE -- and officers noted he's a "strong boy."
    Make sure to check out the end of the clip when the cops search his backpack and find an item they believe to be nunchucks ... but it's really a jump rope.
    No word if Bo ever got to Mexico.
    Not nunchuks...jump rope.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Unnnamed 34-year-old Windsor man

It amuses me that 'homemade nunchucks' precedes 'prohibited ammo' in this headline.

Oct 05, 2016
    Windsor man arrested with homemade nunchucks and prohibited ammo

Ammo and homemade weapons seized
    File photo
    St. Thomas-Elgin Weekly News

A 34-year-old Windsor man has been arrested by St. Thomas police after bullets, as well as several homemade weapons, were found in his car.

Officers had received a call from a concerned resident, notifying them of a suspicious-looking person sitting in a car for an extended amount of time on their street.

After police arrived, the man got out of the car and began speaking to officers, while appearing very nervous.

A check of the vehicle found the plates were not only unattached, but the stickers weren't meant for the car either, according to a return from the Ministry of Transport.

In addition, the man had also gave a name that didn't match any of the information provided.

The driver was placed under arrest for obstructing police, and both he and his vehicle were searched at which time police found close to 90 .38 caliber bullets, five of which were in his pocket, along with two homemade nunchucks, a knife, a saw blade, and a large magnet with sharp fragments attached to it.

As a result, the man is facing multiple charges including possession of prohibited ammunition, and breach of probation. He was held in custody pending a bail hearing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Being acquitted makes this a good day after a prior bad day.

Nunchaku-enthusiast rights victory as 48-year-old chiropractor acquitted of possession charges
    Master Blaster 4 days ago

Now everyone in Japan is free to exercise their inalienable right to hit themselves in the head – openly and without fear of prosecution.

On 8 March, Judge Kazuo Oizumi of the Hiroshima High Court reversed the weapon concealment conviction of a 48-year-old chiropractor. The previous conviction was handed down after a police officer discovered three pairs of nunchaku in the man’s car while questioning him in the parking lot of a convenience store.

The details of what happened in the parking lot were unclear, but I assume it went something like this:

The man had originally been fined 9,900 yen (US$86.50), but Judge Oizumi rescinded the punishment ruling that, “In modern times, nunchaku are used for legitimate purposes like as a hobby or martial art training exercise” and that “It was reasonable to assume someone would have a collection of them [in a car] to train with after work.”

A fair judgment seeing as nunchaku have to be one of the least effective weapons in existence. This is evidenced by the fact that Michelangelo is consistently the worst character in any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video game. Moreover if I were about to go into battle and given a choice of nunchaku or a spoon, I would choose the spoon without missing a beat – I could at least try to poke at my enemy’s eyes with a spoon.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Of course, we all know this is not the real Bruce.

The fact that this man had three pairs only works in his favor as nunchaku are one of the few weapons in existence that are less effective the more you have of them. They’d just get tangled up. Don’t get me wrong. In the right hands, nunchaku are quite possibly the coolest thing on Earth. For example, here is the master himself, Bruce Lee at work.

But who among us can reach that level of skill? You would be better off channeling the energy and discipline needed to do that into becoming a doctor or super-fast finger snapper.

Here’s what readers of the news had to say:

“HYYYYyyyyaaaahhhhh!”
    “Bruce Lee himself said that nunchaku have almost no offensive power and are only good for performance.”
    “I would be more afraid of a guy wielding Joy-Con.”
    “I guess some cop was trying to meet a quota.”
    “The policeman who made the arrest was probably more of a Jackie Chan guy.”
    “It was probably a good arrest. Anyone hanging out in a parking lot with nunchucks is up to no good.”

So it would appear that most are in agreement that nunchaku are hardly weapons and should be allowed to be carried freely in Japan.

But don’t go dusting of that RPG launcher in your closet for a quick run to the 7-Eleven just yet. Remember what one man and his car-load of ninja stars taught us: not all weaponry is judged the same, so proceed with caution and a little common sense.

Source: Asahi Shimbun via Hachima Kiko
    Top image: Wikipedia
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Brass Knucks? I've never heard that abbreviation. I like it.

That's a really crappy nunchaku. Get your good nunchaku here unless you're in the states of California (like Mr. Jeffery Westley here), Massachusetts, and New York or Canada.

Andrew Goff / Thursday, March 16 @ 8:50 p.m. / Crime

Fortuna Police Discover Firearms, Nunchaku, Brass Knucks, Meth During Traffic Stop; Driver Arrested

FPD

Fortuna Police Department press release:

On March 16th, 2017 at 2:30 pm, Fortuna Police Department officer performed a traffic stop on a vehicle on 12th Street near Dinsmore Drive for a traffic violation. While officers were speaking with the driver, they observed what appeared to be the stock of a firearm sticking out from the back seat area. The firearm was partially concealed by other items in the rear seat.

During a search of the vehicle, officers located a loaded, 12 gauge pump shotgun which had been modified to have a short barrel and pistol grip stock, one pair of metal knuckles, also referred to as “Brass Knuckles”, a pair of homemade nunchaku, and 13.9 grams of methamphetamine.

The driver, 28 year old Jeffery Westley of Hemet, California, was arrested and booked into Humboldt County Correctional Facility on the following charges;

33215 PC- Poss. Short barreled shotgun
    25850(a) PC- Poss. Loaded firearm within a vehicle
    22010 PC- Poss. Nunchaku
    21810 PC- Poss. Metal knuckles
    11377(a) H&S- Poss. Controlled substance.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nunchucks & scissors

Harsh story. Being a caretaker is tough work.

Youngstown report: Man said he attacked woman with nunchucks and scissors
    Ronald Washington, 60, told police, "I'm ready, take me in, I did it," according to a police report
    By WKBN Staff
    Published: May 2, 2017, 6:34 am Updated: May 2, 2017, 8:39 am

YOUNGSTOWN: Arrested May 1 - Ronald Washington, 60, charged with felonious assault

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – A man told police that he attacked his home health care aide because she had a boyfriend, according to a police report.

Police were called about 11:40 a.m. Monday to a home in the 1200 block of Salt Springs Road on reports of a stabbing.

When police arrived, they found a woman sitting in a car crying. They also saw a man in the doorway of the house, later identified as Ronald Washington, 60, who said to them, “I’m ready, take me, I did it.”

When police questioned Washington, he told them that he had been having a relationship with the victim and that when she told him she had a boyfriend, he attacked her with scissors and nunchucks, according to a police report. Police found scissors and nunchucks on the floor by the bed.

The woman told police that Washington asked her if she had a boyfriend and when she said yes, he became irate and began insulting her. He then took a pair of scissors from his nightstand and began making slashing and stabbing motions, hitting her in the head, the report stated. The woman grabbed the scissors and suffered a cut to her hand.

The man said he was partially paralyzed and police had to take him out of the house in a wheelchair.

Washington was charged with felonious assault.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a felony

Martial arts weapon increases penalty

Jayson Danning

By Hans Peter, hpeter@record-bee.com LAKEPORT >> Browsing the Lake County arrest records, one becomes apparent of a variety of charges, none of which
    POSTED: 01/17/17, 11:30 PM PST | UPDATED: ON 01/17/2017

Actor Bruce Lee with ‘nunchucks.’ Archival photo

Use of a controlled substance — misdemeanor. Petty theft — misdemeanor. Concealed firearm — misdemeanor. Possession of Nunchaku — felony.

Do not adjust your newspaper, that is not a typo; nunchaku can put you in prison, if they don’t put you in the hospital first.

Around 10 a.m. Monday morning, Lakeport Police arrested resident Jayson Danning for probation violation. After a quick search, Lakeport Police Officer Joe Medici found a pair of nunchaku in Danning’s possession. The find effectively boosted Danning’s bail from $5,000 to $15,000.

Just a few hours later, Taliaalene Correia was arrested in Nice due in part to the possession of a concealed firearm and metal knuckles. The combined bail for these violations amounted to $10,000.

“It’s a joke,” said seventh-degree black-belt Fred Langston, who said the possession of nunchaku is far from dangerous behavior. “This is a pretty ridiculous law.”

For those who’ve never seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or a classic kung fu movie, nunchaku, often called “nunchucks” refers to a couple of wooden rods tied to one another by a small length of leather, chain, etc. The wielder of such a weapon can swing one rod around by the handle of the other, creating an effective striking weapon. Granted, only skilled martial artists should ever pick up a pair, and only inside an official martial arts studio, which marks the only legal place to wield them.

“If you’ve ever tried to pick up nunchucks, you’ll beat the crap out of yourself before anyone else,” Langston said. As owner of the Lake County Martial Arts studio, he’s tried to teach students how to use the tools. “When my students come in to learn how to use them, I give them a pair of rubber and Styrofoam nunchucks because they’re going to hit themselves.”

Langston said nunchucks were all the rage in the late 1960s and ‘70s, when martial arts became popular in America. As they became a trendy item, he said the public overreacted; California and several other states instated strict laws against the simple possession of nunchaku: two sticks attached by a string.

Granted, the weapon has an intimidation factor. Movie star Bruce Lee popularized the weapons through this movies; fans will remember the way he expertly moved the weapon about his body with intense speed and agility, all to the soundtrack of Lee’s hooting and overdubbed nunchuck sounds.

Despite this flamboyant display of kung fu mastery, Langston said the weapon simply isn’t very effective, even though he can expertly wield them. He said some completely legal weapons pack a much bigger punch, and can actually be controlled by rookies.

“I’d much rather use a short staff or bow staff,” Langston said. He also said many weapons like metal knuckles should be considered far more dangerous than nunchucks. “All you have to do is put them on and you can use them.”

Langston said he was pulled over near San Diego during a professional trip in which he carried a collection of martial arts weapons in his truck. He said officers searched his vehicle, ignoring swords, staves, and nearly every item in his armory — every item except his nunchucks.

After nearly an hour of convincing the officers of his role as a martial arts teacher, the police allowed him to travel on without arresting him.

Langston said the Nunchuck law is overkill, but he figures nobody will fight it, as legalizing the weapon simply isn’t worth the trouble.

“I don’t think anybody with bother with it,” he said.
    A staff is harder to pack than nunchuks, but I agree with Langston.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

10 years for Thatcher D. Jones

Reading man gets state prison for assaulting victim with martial-arts weapon
    Tuesday August 8, 2017 12:01 AM
    By Stephanie Weaver
    READING, PA
    A Reading man was sentenced to two to 10 years in state prison for breaking into a Muhlenberg Township apartment in February 2016 and assaulting a man with a martial-arts weapons.

Defendant Thatcher D. Jones, 37, of the 700 block of North 10th Street was stabbed twice by the victim in self-defense and had to undergo surgery.

TODAY'S SPONSOR:

Jones pleaded guilty on Aug. 1 before Judge Patrick T. Barrett to burglary and aggravated assault.

"Obviously what I did was wrong," Jones said. "I was never in trouble before and I don't plan to do it again. Lesson learned."

Jones told Barrett that drugs were the real issue and said he took several medications that "didn't mix well."

"I blacked out a lot and would find myself in places that I didn't know where I was," he said.

Jones said that he was clean when he was arrested in January and has been completing drug treatment programs while in prison. He will receive credit for 179 days served.

According to authorities:

Jones broke into an apartment in the Oak Forest complex in the 2200 block of Hampden Boulevard about 2 a.m. on Feb. 15, 2016.

The renter of the apartment, Zhexi Li, told police that he heard someone in his apartment, so he hid in a closet and contacted his friend Yifu Chen.

Chen went to Li's apartment, where he discovered an open sliding door.

He entered the apartment and called out to his friend, but instead was confronted by Jones. The men began to fight and Jones struck Chen in the head and face several times with a metallic nunchuck.

Chen was bleeding severely from the attack, but was able to grab a knife he had and stab Jones twice. Jones then ran from the apartment.

Chen was taken to Reading Hospital for treatment.

As police were investigating the break-in, they received a report of a stabbing victim, Jones, at a gas station in the 800 block of North 13th Street.

Jones told officers that he had been jumped elsewhere in the city by an unknown assailant. He was taken to Reading Hospital, where he underwent surgery.

Police sent a blood sample from the knife for DNA testing and it came back as a match for Jones.

Police determined that Jones' story was false and that after being stabbed he went to another apartment in the same complex where a woman he knew lived.

She helped him get cleaned up before he left and contacted police.

Assistant District Attorney Jason C. Glessner said that the two victims in the case were college students who no longer live in the area.

Contact Stephanie Weaver: 610-371-5042 or sweaver@readingeagle.com.

STEPHANIE WEAVER | REPORTER
    Stephanie Weaver covers the courts for the Reading Eagle.
    Phone: 610-371-5042
    Email: sweaver@readingeagle.com
    When they say 'martial arts weapon', it's always nunchuks or shuriken.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips