Thread: Just started Judo!

Thumbs up Just started Judo!

I started my first judo class yesterday and was very surprised. It was a great workout and had a lot of fun. I had only done a little BJJ, but this is pretty different in a good way. The ground game is very similar, but at my old BJJ school, they didn't teach much in the way of takedowns so this was cool.

I was impressed because there are elements in it similar to wrestling and BJJ. I know BJJ evolved out of Judo, but I didn't know Judo's ground game was that good.

Well that is the first class, can't wait for Friday's class!

Do you have a background in wrestling?

No. I was my cousin's practice dummy in the off-season but I never wrestled. My school was a vocational school and unfortunately didn't have a wrestling team. I have a lot of friends who did wrestle, and I would often go to matches and observe, but I was never given instruction.

Looking back at it now, I would have done a few things different. (coming up on my ten year reunion I have reflected on some things, lol) I probably would have gone to my regular school and wrestled. There is some excellent stuff taught there, and it's free instruction for the most part.

My teacher used to wrestle in high school and I think he did a little bit at a junior college. He told me he got into Judo during his wrestling days, because in the off season he wanted something to keep him in shape and was told about judo, because there were some similarities in it.

I would love to go more often, but it's only three nights a week, and right now Im working nights. Day two was yesterday and I was taught four trips/throws. I have a hard time remembering the names. Also putting everything together is making my movements choppy and not as fluid. Im trying to remember where my feet are moving and what my hands are supposed to be doing but it's awesome and I am loving it.

it get's easier.

plus, because you're participating in a combat art, you're now qualified to wear Affliction clothing and sport a couple of tatts.

Sweet! Can I get a nipple piercing too, or am I not there yet?

This looks interesting

http://freestylejudo.com/2009/05/24/...judos-purpose/

New rule-set allowing for more newaza and gi-less randori.