Thread: What forms are in your Shaolin regimen now?

Hybrid View

What forms are in your Shaolin regimen now?

Here are the Shaolin forms that I am currently practicing on a regular basis (at least once a week, hopefully more). Since this is the Shaolin forum, I'm restricting my list to Shaolin forms. Currently I'm only doing Songshan Shaolin forms.

baduanjin
    xiaohongquan
    dahongquan
    qixingquan
    changhu xinyimen
    taizu changquan
    tongbi luohan
    qixing tanglang
    qiang (Taguo version)
    dao (Taguo version)

I've shown you mine. Let me see yours.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I started practicing a mizong quan form I learned several years ago. I don't know how it is Shaolin related (if at all) but a Taiwanese teacher used to refer to it as Shaolin when seeing us practice. I'm not sure what it's called, but it looks very similiar to some versions of the praying mantis form "xiao hu yan".

The curriculum I teach from white to black is:

Level 1
    Wu Bu Quan - five step (Shifu Yan Ming version)
    Xiao Lohan Quan - small arhat

Level 2
    Xiao Hong Quan - small frame
    Da Hong Quan - large frame
    Chang Quan - long fist
    Ba Duan Jin - 8 section brocade

Level 3
    Xiao Pao Quan - small cannon
    Da Pao Quan - big cannon
    Wu Xing Ba Fa - 5 animal, 8 method
    Yi Jin Jing - muscle/tendon changes
    Qi Xing Quan - seven star

Right now I teach and practice mostly these Shaolin sets:

Ba Dun Jin
    Liu He Gong
    Chan Yuan Gong and Chan Yuan Quan
    Luohan 13 Gong and Luohan 13 Quan
    Wubu Quan
    Xiao Lian Huan Quan
    Dan Shi
    Jingang Bashi
    Wuxing LianHuan Quan
    Taizu Chang Quan 32 postures
    Xiao Hong Quan (Lao and standard versions)
    Xiao Hong quan Er Lu
    Da Hong Quan yi Lu
    Lao Hong Quan 1-4 Lu
    Luohan 18 Shou 1-8 Lu
    Rou Quan Yi Lu
    Ru Quan Er Lu
    Rou Quan 108 postures
    Ru Xing Chui
    Yuan Hou Quan (monkey ape)
    Parts of Xin Yi Ba
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

I practice daily from 11:00 to 13:00 outside :

little jogging
    Stretching
    Baduanjin with abdominal breathing
    10 Stance Training ( to to hold the positions each time a bit longer )
    Wu Bu Quan

Xiao Hong Quan and Mei Hua Quan,

Peace out Eugene

i only practice xiaohongquan and dahongquan anymore for empty hand sets, ive pretty much stopped all my other form practice, but i just love these 2 for some reason... my dahongquan is kind of personal though. i was taught a couple different versions, which i used to practice seperately, a couple of years ago i combined them and only practice that version now.

im weird i know
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Shaolin Curriculums?

"Shaolin" is a pretty broad term in modern KF. Just curious what my Shaolin brothers and sisters are training.

My school is "Shaolin," but it's not a strictly 'traditional' program. We train a mix of traditional and modern wushu shaolin/longfist, as well as some san da/shuai jiao and a fair amount of Eagle Claw (traditional version).

I know there are some other 'Shaolin' schools like us, and I know a little bit about the bak si lum curriculum, but that's all really.

What does your Shaolin curriculum entail?

Oh, my bad. Thanks for the relocation.
    I was curious about training outside of forms as well (conditioning, drills, etc.), but this is a great start anyway.
    Seems your Shaolin curriculums are more Shaolin than mine. Nice to see there's a common knowledge base out there.

No worries, ShaolinDan

I try to keep things neat and tidy here, as much as possible for a forum, so I'll merge when I can. So what forms are you working?

As for my training, sadly, Yanchen returned to Shaolin, so now I'm down to only two wuseng, Yantuo and Yanfei. I was just starting to get into Yanchen's vibe too. He had these really subtle applications, really obscure stuff that I couldn't see until shown (and I've got a decent eye for such things). Yantuo has been working us more with medicine ball conditioning drills and preparations for qimeigun. I'm looking forward to that as I've never studied qimeigun. Otherwise, my regimen is pretty much the same, save for the addition of tongbi luohan, and some preliminary meihuazhang drills on weight plates.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, right now I'm working mostly on an Eagle Claw form and the Chen Taiji 18 movement form, but the first few forms we learn at my school are (please forgive my bad spelling):

Basic Stance Form (don't know what to call it to tell you which one...pretty common though, old form with a few more modern additions on the end)
    Yi Lu chuan
    Shaolin babu luan han chuan
    A version of Lohan 18? maybe? That I've never found anywhere on youtube.
    plum flower (I think the BSL version?)
    San tzu

Just checked out the luohan quan thread. Looks like the unidentified form is a version of this one
    Luohan Shi Ba Shou (originally from Shandong Hua Quan style before entering Shaolin):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSvF3CiLx4
    Posted by Sal Canzonieri

Thanks guys, great stuff!

Trippy

I just noticed that it's Ericsepishii's b-day today. That's the kung fu brother I mentioned earlier on this thread. Sep was short for seppuku. Eric lurked here - never posted. He passed away a decade ago. It's strangely comforting to know that our forum will observe his b-day every year...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My regimen is in transition

Sadly, Yantuo left our school. He's now with Shaolin Shaolin Martial Arts with Yanqiang and Yankuan. Yan Fei is back leading our class.

I'm still doing baduanjin daily. At practice, I'm doing xiaohongquan, dahongquan, qixingquan and taizu changquan fairly regularly. Sometimes I'll still do changhu xinyimen, qixing tanglang, yinshougun, sisanqiang and meihuadao. I've recently learned qimeigun and damo meihua guai. I may let qimeigun go. I'm trying to focus upon damo meihua guai for reasons that will soon become apparent.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shi Dejun (tudi of Suxi) teaches authentic Shandong Qixing Tanglang. This Tanglang was brought to Shaolin Si in the early 80's by Li Zhanyuan, with whom he studied. Li was Suxi's brother and he was a chief coach of the Shaolin Wuguan, Vice Chairman of the Shaolin Temple Association and Consultant Research Association of Shaolin Temple Boxing. He was one of many consultants (mainly folk masters) brought in around that time to help rebuild the curriculum.

Unfortunately, apart from a few monks from the current generation such as Dejun, it has largely been replaced by the Shaolin interpretation of Yu Hai's sport version and the Shaolin version of the standard Yantai Beng Bu. Dejun's version also has a heavy Shaolin flavour, though this was encouraged by Li Zhanyuan.

BT