Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What forms are in your Shaolin regimen now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    A really good workout is to do all your Shaolin forms with a staff (but don't change any of the movements), and then do them with a spear, and then double knives (dao) and then double sword (jian).
    You will vastly improve your martial art skills and your understanding of why the postures and movements are done that way in the particular form you are working on.
    my order of learning was broadsword, jian, double broadsword/jian, staff, juggle club, barstool, iron balls, hula hoops, pitch forks, spade shovels, block hammers, sledge hammers, double sledge hammers, cinder blocks, fha's, wheelbarrows, 5 gallon buckets, kitchen knives, cutting boards, skateboards, gravel rakes, trowels, garbage cans, belts, tire irons, car jacks, crowbars, pens, pencils, saftey pins, seashells, credit cards, claw hammers, chainsaws, brooms, mops, deckbrushes, cd cases, ironing boards, extension cords, beach balls, tote bags, dumbells, stucco stones, joint strikers, shopping carts, canned soup, shotguns, glass bongs, bamboo foot bongs, boat oars, fishing poles, teacups, plungers, and silverware... LOL

i did that last night with my staff, it was a lot of fun. tonight, to try it out, im going to do double broadswords....well a broadsword and a machete...lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I have sets that will not accommodate weapons use within them without a lot of modification to the set which would kind of ...well, wreck it. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I have sets that will not accommodate weapons use within them without a lot of modification to the set which would kind of ...well, wreck it. lol
    i could see that happening. i did xiaohong with a staff, and it was suprisingly straight forward. only had to slightly tweek a few spots to have it make sense from an application stand point with a staff in my hands. really though i just used a half staff. like a jo staff because i was doing it in my living room...

i wonder how this would go with a two handed sword
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chines View Post
    Hi shaolin, is this xiao bao quan you train from the gong li quan style?

Do you know any videos of xiao bao quan?

Tks
    Xiao Bao Quan? Either my chinese really stinks (which it does) or I don't know that set. Do you mean Xiao Pao Quan/Small Cannon? To answer your question I do not train in the Gong Li "style".

gong li is the second form after tan tui in my old school...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i could see that happening. i did xiaohong with a staff, and it was suprisingly straight forward. only had to slightly tweek a few spots to have it make sense from an application stand point with a staff in my hands. really though i just used a half staff. like a jo staff because i was doing it in my living room...

i wonder how this would go with a two handed sword
    Sets that are hard qigongs don't accomadate weapons to well.

"fighting" sets (sets that contain just stringed together combos) can be adapted for it though with a tweak here and there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ups... sorry, my bad, read it wrong...

Is this the xiao pao quan you practice?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmn5x3fYVuo

I know gong li quan is teached as a single form in the chin woo curriculum
    But what about the style?

Yes & no. I don't practice it exactly the way De Yang does. If I recall he teaches it in two routines where I teach one longer routine.

Personally I don't know much about the Gong Li style of boxing. Check the archives, ask Gene Ching or Sal Canzonieri (those two are a bottomless pit of knowledge), look into Chin Woo Athletic Association and Master Hua Yuanjia. It might lead you to some answers.
    Last edited by Shaolin; 01-28-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Ups... sorry, my bad, read it wrong...

Is this the xiao pao quan you practice?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmn5x3fYVuo

I know gong li quan is teached as a single form in the chin woo curriculum
    But what about the style?
    The Gong Li Quan set is not related to the style called Gong Li.
    Gong Li from Chin Woo Association is a training routine, to teach you to develop strength.

The Gong Li style is from Northwest China and I really doubt you are going to find a master of this in the US, as far as I know, they are only in China.
    If you are a newbie, I wouldn't worry about the Gong Li style, it is very advanced and difficult to master. There are enough things to learn before you need to go that far, if at all.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

I've actually never studied gong li

All I know about gong li is what I've gleaned from Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's work.

There. You've seen my bottom. Happy now?

May all beings be happy.

bottomless pit of knowledge indeed.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gong Li is also a hot actress wimminses from the chinas!

see here

Kung Fu is good for you.

No no, I am only researching about stuff, I have enough trouble practicing one style, i wouldnt have the energy practicing another:P

LOL, thats one hot chick...

No no, I am only researching about stuff, I have enough trouble practicing one style, i wouldnt have the energy practicing another:P

LOL, thats one hot chick...
    why not? as long as they compliment.

I learned a southern and northern style together in the same timeline.

Now I learn 2 more southern styles + more modern stuff and practice in the same timeline!

Maybe I have an abundance of perspicacity?
    Kung Fu is good for you.