Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What forms are in your Shaolin regimen now?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Maybe I have an abundance of perspicacity?
    most dragons do.

lol:P

Well, it is just that I prefer to go deeper into one style instead of having many at the same time.
    As i said, if i cant get one done right i will not bother searching for something else

My regimen has changed

We've picked up another Shaolin monk at O-Mei Kung Fu Academy. Joining Yan Fei is Yantuo. Yantuo is more into conditioning, so we've been doing more push ups, sit ups, medicine ball work, that sort of stuff. That's been reducing my form rotation, which isn't quite as much fun, but better for me in the long run. We haven't been working lohan much lately. I still do baduanjin and xiaohong on my own. We've also swapped out the weapons forms. Both the sisanqiang and meihuadao are quite different than the versions I initially learned from Decheng in the late '90s, but that's just as well as I forgot those.

baduanjin
    xiaohongquan
    dahongquan
    qixingquan
    changhu xinyimen
    taizu changquan
    qixing tanglang
    yinshougun
    sisanqiang
    meihuadao

Yanchen was by last night for a visit from Chicago. He came over for the 2009 Shaolin Temple Day . He was just visiting his kung fu brothers. I joked with Yantuo that I could barely take training under two monks. A third one would kill me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I generally do

1. Wu Bu Quan - although it's various sub sections of Cha Fist number 5 done in a different order and not actually a Shaolin set.

2. 32 posture Tai Tzu Chang Chuan.

3. Lao Hong quan 4 roads.

4. A very short Hou Quan related to Lao Hong Quan.

I am also playing with Guandong's form as well. Not deeply mind you, just roughing out the basic pattern for now.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'm going to be heading to Shaolin U.K soon, though im kinda worried that they only teach Wu Bu Quan and Xiao Hong Quan.

Gene, when you mentioned Qixing TangLang as a form, were you referring to this form?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6QW6bDLzM&feature=fvsr

Sort of, monkeyfoot, sort of

That form begins similarly to our qixing tanglang and echoes it until a few moves after the first turn, but it's very very different from the version we do. That's par for the course - there's a lot of variation.

My master Shi Decheng's qixing tanglang is in our current issue (2010 July/August) - see Shaolin Seven Praying Mantis By Scott Jeffrey. I never learned that form from him. I practice a version I learned from Yan Fei. Yan Fei was from Shandong originally, so he has some root mantis in him, plus he's really long and tall, like so many Shandongers. Our new addition, Yantuo, does a qixing tanglang too. I've seen little bits of it as we use a lot of those lines for our jibengong practice, and his is quite different too. Nevertheless, you can see the root is the same. Unlike some of the more core forms of Songshan Shaolin, qixing tanglang seems to have more variation than the others. They all have variation.

I'm told we're keeping Yanchen on our staff at O-Mei Kung Fu. Three monks, baby, THREE! Plus they're all traditionalists. I saw his guai form last night and I'm thinking I should dust off my old tamo zhang and learn his version. Shaolin life is very good at O-Mei now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks for the info Gene.

I'm a Qixing TangLang player, so when I saw the Shaolin U.K guys doing a form called Qixing TangLang, I thought 'is this a form from the 7 star mantis style, or is it a shaolin thing', as I've never heard of a form within the 7 star mantis curriculum thats actually called 7 star mantis...

I'm a bit lost with history of it, does the current issue explain this?

C
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 07-27-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    'is this a form from the 7 star mantis style, or is it a shaolin thing', as I've never heard of a form within the 7 star mantis curriculum thats actually called 7 star mantis...
    It is the Shaolin variant of Beng Bu.

wenshu is spot on

Shaolin's relationship with mantis in recent years may well have come out of the 1982 movie Shaolin Temple. Yu Hai, who played the big monk, was from Shandong and brought a lot of mantis forms with him. That might not be the exact origin of qixing tanglang at Shaolin, but it's certainly possible. Read our 2007 January/February cover story The Big Monk of Shaolin Temple: Mantis Grandmaster Yu Hai.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yu Hai, who played the big monk, was from Shandong and brought a lot of mantis forms with him. That might not be the exact origin of qixing tanglang at Shaolin, but it's certainly possible.
    Yu Hai is pretty 厉害。
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVuiTzJDENs

In the above clip it looks like it might in fact be Beng Bu he is demonstrating. The sequence from 0:19 to 0:21 is distinctly similar to the version we practice.

Our version doesn't utilize the Tang Lang Gou nearly as much as many expect (atleast compared to the wushu biaoyan wuseng mantis stylings).

Would Yu Hai account for the practice of Mei Hua Tang Lang? That seems to be the next step in the Songshan mantis curriculum.

Nice footage, wenshu

That's the form that is discussed in my cover story above. It's a fusion form, something Yu Hai created. Although he says in the article "The form is not Seven Star or Plum Flower", you can see influences. After all, that was his foundation. That form is showcased in the Shaolin Temple films. Yu Hai was there in the early '80s filming that trilogy. He left the form there and it spread. In the mid '90s, it was still popular, but qixing tanglang was on the rise then too. I'm not clear on the exact origin of qixing tanglang, but I'm willing to bet that it was laterally influenced by Yu Hai's presence, along with so many Shandong people that came to Shaolin. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have like 40 Shaolin wuseng, and several of them are from Shandong, including my current coach Yan Fei. He's taught that Yu Hai form to some students. He's also the one that taught me the present version of qixing tanglang that I'm practicing. Yantou has a different take on it and I'm trying to pick up his variations.

Many, many years ago, I tried to learn the Yu Hai form a BWT member in a few hours once. It was a silly seminar because the coach (wish I could remember her name) was a wushu superstar and we were all traditional practitioners. Ultimately, it was just a really good workout, as there was nothing I could retain. I learned a bengbu from Wing Lam, who had it as a loose set. Then I learned another version in Jinan.

I have a lot of respect for Yu Hai. I was a little starstruck when I interviewed him, which seldom happens to me. He was so charismatic and open, very charming and friendly. And he still had the juice. I could have talked to him for days.

One of my dearly departed kung fu brothers, Eric Ishii, was a mantis guy (we weren't kung fu brothers under the same master; we were kung fu brothers because we went to China together and stayed good friends). He claimed he had like 50 different versions of bengbu. He was really into that form.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Excellent Article!

Thanks for the info Gene. I've admired Yu Hai since I first saw Shaolin Temple. I've always felt that his was the best performance from the scene where Jet sneaks a glimpse of the wuseng practicing.

There is a lot of good stuff in that article.

I especially like the comment from his instructor "if others can be heroes in the sky why can't you be a good man on the ground?".

Furthermore the stuff about 精气神; I think it is one of the main indicators of real Gong Fu. It is something that radiates from true masters when they are practicing that is unmistakable and inimitable.

While anathema to some vocal proponents of the traditional arts, Shaolin not only encourages cross training in various disciplines, it is built upon it. The synthesis of Shaolin Gong Fu was partly a process integration of seemingly disparate disciplines.

Within our temple we have four monks. So we have four different ways to do each form as they all had different masters with Shaolin. I have to alter my practice a little bit depending on who I am demonstrating for each time. When I practice for myself, I'll use whichever method I prefer sometimes mixing these slight variations.

Shaolin Curriculums?

"Shaolin" is a pretty broad term in modern KF. Just curious what my Shaolin brothers and sisters are training.

My school is "Shaolin," but it's not a strictly 'traditional' program. We train a mix of traditional and modern wushu shaolin/longfist, as well as some san da/shuai jiao and a fair amount of Eagle Claw (traditional version).

I know there are some other 'Shaolin' schools like us, and I know a little bit about the bak si lum curriculum, but that's all really.

What does your Shaolin curriculum entail?

Oh, my bad. Thanks for the relocation.
    I was curious about training outside of forms as well (conditioning, drills, etc.), but this is a great start anyway.
    Seems your Shaolin curriculums are more Shaolin than mine. Nice to see there's a common knowledge base out there.

No worries, ShaolinDan

I try to keep things neat and tidy here, as much as possible for a forum, so I'll merge when I can. So what forms are you working?

As for my training, sadly, Yanchen returned to Shaolin, so now I'm down to only two wuseng, Yantuo and Yanfei. I was just starting to get into Yanchen's vibe too. He had these really subtle applications, really obscure stuff that I couldn't see until shown (and I've got a decent eye for such things). Yantuo has been working us more with medicine ball conditioning drills and preparations for qimeigun. I'm looking forward to that as I've never studied qimeigun. Otherwise, my regimen is pretty much the same, save for the addition of tongbi luohan, and some preliminary meihuazhang drills on weight plates.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips