Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What forms are in your Shaolin regimen now?

Well, right now I'm working mostly on an Eagle Claw form and the Chen Taiji 18 movement form, but the first few forms we learn at my school are (please forgive my bad spelling):

Basic Stance Form (don't know what to call it to tell you which one...pretty common though, old form with a few more modern additions on the end)
    Yi Lu chuan
    Shaolin babu luan han chuan
    A version of Lohan 18? maybe? That I've never found anywhere on youtube.
    plum flower (I think the BSL version?)
    San tzu

Just checked out the luohan quan thread. Looks like the unidentified form is a version of this one
    Luohan Shi Ba Shou (originally from Shandong Hua Quan style before entering Shaolin):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSvF3CiLx4
    Posted by Sal Canzonieri

Thanks guys, great stuff!

Wu Bu Quan
    Chang Chuan Yi Duan
    Chang Chuan Er Duan
    Chang Chuan San Duan
    Chang Chuan Tan Tui
    20 Methods of Attach and defense
    Ru Ma
    Staff
    Tiger-Tail Broadsword
    Striaght sword
    Spear

Lien Bu
    Gong Li
    Tou Zhan

Chin Woo Tan Tui

I need to practice more.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Da Tong Bei
    Xiao Hong Quan
    Da Hong Quan Yi Lu
    Chang Hu Xin Yi Men (Yi Lu with the ending from San Lu tacked on for performance purposes)
    Damo Jian
    Ba Duan Jin
    Qi Xing Tang Lang
    Xiao Huo Gun
    Yin Shou Gun
    Qi Xing Quan
    Thought I would update this.

Have since added
    Ba Bu Lian Huan Quan
    Rou Quan Yi Lu
    Shi San Qiang
    Xiao LuoHan Quan

Currently learning traditional Guan Dao
    Hope to start Qi Mei Gun soon.

Some have been seriously neglected; Da Tong Bei, Damo Jian.

I 打坐 regularly however my nei gong practice is lacking. Shall be rectified directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

shaolin forms

1-6 kata
    1-5 pinan
    stature of the crane (shaolin)
    2 man fist set
    hansuki
    swift tiger
    circle of the tiger
    shaolin nengle north (northern province)
    shaolin nengle south (southern province)

heian shodan.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

shotokan shaolin karate-do?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i also play the beast form and wubuquan once a month when the moon is aligned.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Like altered beast?!?!?!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

And I was worried about having all that modern longfist in my curriculum.
    Thanks for that BB. (I studied some Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate long long ago in a galaxy far far way once upon a time ). Very convenient, same forms as the karate and tkd schools...(at least for kid beginners)

Speaking of modern forms, right now I'm learning the Nan Quan compulsory. I like it, actually, it feels more natural to me than a lot of what I've learned (I think it's the lack of pubu).

My regimen is in transition

Sadly, Yantuo left our school. He's now with Shaolin Shaolin Martial Arts with Yanqiang and Yankuan. Yan Fei is back leading our class.

I'm still doing baduanjin daily. At practice, I'm doing xiaohongquan, dahongquan, qixingquan and taizu changquan fairly regularly. Sometimes I'll still do changhu xinyimen, qixing tanglang, yinshougun, sisanqiang and meihuadao. I've recently learned qimeigun and damo meihua guai. I may let qimeigun go. I'm trying to focus upon damo meihua guai for reasons that will soon become apparent.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shi Dejun (tudi of Suxi) teaches authentic Shandong Qixing Tanglang. This Tanglang was brought to Shaolin Si in the early 80's by Li Zhanyuan, with whom he studied. Li was Suxi's brother and he was a chief coach of the Shaolin Wuguan, Vice Chairman of the Shaolin Temple Association and Consultant Research Association of Shaolin Temple Boxing. He was one of many consultants (mainly folk masters) brought in around that time to help rebuild the curriculum.

Unfortunately, apart from a few monks from the current generation such as Dejun, it has largely been replaced by the Shaolin interpretation of Yu Hai's sport version and the Shaolin version of the standard Yantai Beng Bu. Dejun's version also has a heavy Shaolin flavour, though this was encouraged by Li Zhanyuan.

BT

@ Tunks

Its true that the vast majority of mantis in the schools is a cheap version of Yu Hais form (which is actually a great form, as Yuhai genuinly knows a lot of mantis).

But even Dejuns Mantis forms (and I'm not knocking him) are not strictly shaolin. Shaolin did absorb 2 simple Mantis forms around the time the style was created. These are harder to find and have diverged a lot between the different sects. They are very strange and less characteristically mantis than Dejuns forms. And they favour various types of claw technique above the mantis hand, ranging from drunken like fist to a kind of eagle claw, with the mantis hand appearing very rarely.

Shaolin is not the place to learn mantis, its the place to learn shaolin. And so if your going to learn mantis at shaolin you should go for shaolins traditional mantis. Its still shaolin, just borrows some concepts from mantis.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 02-09-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Like I said earlier, Yan Fei has both

He's from Shandong originally, so he has the Yu Hai form, which he teaches to the wushu kids if they are interested, as well as the Songshan qixing mantis form, which is a regular part of our Shaolin regimen. Yan Fei's Shaolin has a heavy Shandong influence, which fits his body frame. He has that classic long and tall Shandong physique, perfect for mantis.

When I was younger, I regretted not pursuing mantis more seriously. I went to Shandong and learned a beng bu, and Wing Lam had three mantis sets, which he just kept for fun. I learned two of them and the style fit me well, back when I had much faster hands. Beyond that and Shaolin qixing mantis, I never studied it. That being said, if you're just going to study mantis, a master that just focuses on mantis is surely best. But if your going to study Shaolin, you'll get a little taste of everything.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Trippy

I just noticed that it's Ericsepishii's b-day today. That's the kung fu brother I mentioned earlier on this thread. Sep was short for seppuku. Eric lurked here - never posted. He passed away a decade ago. It's strangely comforting to know that our forum will observe his b-day every year...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips