Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is slt training is for?

what is slt training is for?

a good Set was created to serve a purpose in a unique way.

and the purpose cannot be everything.
    also it can not be as everyone intepletation --- or as one likes it.
    It got nothing todo with who one learn it from or the name or title of one's sifu.

So what is doing SLT is for? Be totally specific which can back up by your ability which attain by doing SLT.

You go first..

I would say that one of the main purposes of SLT is to teach the practitioner how to move from one hand position to another in a most economical way, while maintaining good alignment and a connection with the root. If practiced in a certein way, it also teaches how to move your hands as effortlesly as possible.

The combination of this three aspects contributes to the development and understanding of how to transition from diffrent hand positiones in a efficient manner (in the sense of movement and energy usage) yet still having your whole unified upper-lower body behind every move, contributing to the maximum power potential behind every attack or defence in WCK.

If performed in a certein way, it also hightenes awarnes of your own body, and thus teaches a form of sensitivety, which can then also be applyed to external stimulus. In simpler words, you can train yourself to allways seek the path of minimum resistance and your maximum structural strength; but trying to achieve both at the same time.

BTW, I too would aslo like to hear what you think on the subject, Hendrik.

i can't help but to read "SLT" not as "ESS ELL TEE" or Sil lum tao..but "****"

that said..i have no problems with doing SLT
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

"force of idea"

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    You go first..
    Hey, HE'S asking the questions here, not you!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Hey, HE'S asking the questions here, not you!
    There you go specubating in public............again!!

Sil Lim Tao is basically for beginners. It is a complete form designed to teach form and distance as well as the hand positions and weapons. First, you develop your stance. Second, you define center line. Everything is done on center line. This form will cement that concept. You learn all the defensive pary and block techinques as well as the hand weapons while in stance. You learn to space your feet accurately and assume the bent knee. You do everything on center line until it is solidly engrained into your habits. If you want to use tan sao, you do it on your own center line, and you will shift at the hip or feet to achieve an angle if need be, but the technique remains on your center line. This is what Sil lim tao teaches you. Once you have this form perfectly cemented into habit you move on to the Chum Kil form. This form then teaches you to move and shift about while applying the concepts you cemented with sil lim. It is all contained in sil lim, but there are no secrets and nothing is hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    You go first..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-o7lPtPObY

不是英雄 不讀三國 ( not a hero , will not read the tri kingdom)

若是英雄怎麼能 不懂寂寞 ( if one is a hero, how could one doesnt know loneliness?)

兒女情長被亂世左右 誰來煮酒 (a love afair influence by a chaotic era, who will have the time to warm the wine and discuss who is the hero of the heros)

紛紛擾擾千百年以後 一切又從頭 (hundreds years of turbulence, everything start from scratch again.)
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-23-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INicba View Post
    BTW, I too would aslo like to hear what you think on the subject, Hendrik.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZjO...eature=related

風到這裡就是粘 ( Wind arive here become sticky)
    粘住過客的思念 (Sticking the traveller's mind)

寧願我就葬在這一點 ( I rather burried at this point)
    圈圈圓圓圈圈 (circle round circle)
    當夢被埋在江南煙雨中 ( when one's dream buried within the southern fog and rain)
    心碎了才懂 ( one will realize it after the mind is broken.)
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-23-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Sil Lim Tao is basically for beginners. It is a complete form designed to teach form and distance as well as the hand positions and weapons. First, you develop your stance. Second, you define center line. Everything is done on center line. This form will cement that concept. You learn all the defensive pary and block techinques as well as the hand weapons while in stance. You learn to space your feet accurately and assume the bent knee. You do everything on center line until it is solidly engrained into your habits. If you want to use tan sao, you do it on your own center line, and you will shift at the hip or feet to achieve an angle if need be, but the technique remains on your center line. This is what Sil lim tao teaches you. Once you have this form perfectly cemented into habit you move on to the Chum Kil form. This form then teaches you to move and shift about while applying the concepts you cemented with sil lim. It is all contained in sil lim, but there are no secrets and nothing is hidden.

True.

if it stays this simple then there is no WCK in 1850 which CLF seek approve.

There sure have no secret, it is only some sees the depth some not.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-23-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZjO...eature=related

風到這裡就是粘 ( Wind arive here become sticky)
    粘住過客的思念 (Sticking the traveller's mind)

寧願我就葬在這一點 ( I rather burried at this point)
    圈圈圓圓圈圈 (circle round circle)
    當夢被埋在江南煙雨中 ( when one's dream buried within the southern fog and rain)
    心碎了才懂 ( one will realize it after the mind is broken.)
    I had my doubts at first. But I have come to the conclusion that this forum is a wealth of information beyond anyones imagination.

I had my doubts at first. But I have come to the conclusion that this forum is a wealth of information beyond anyones imagination.
    When I begain training in WCK, there was a severe scarcity of info on WCK. Today, there is an overwhelming abundance of info on WCK. The problem is between 5 and 95% of that info is complete bullsh1t. Ferreting out the useful info from that BS takes very hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    When I begain training in WCK, there was a severe scarcity of info on WCK. Today, there is an overwhelming abundance of info on WCK. The problem is between 5 and 95% of that info is complete bullsh1t. Ferreting out the useful info from that BS takes very hard work.
    I stand corrected. Indeed, technicaly speaking, everything that was said on this thread is information. Even the video&lyrics response to the question: "what is slt training is for?".

I just wonder, Hendrik, did you expect that we should respond to your question with video&lyrics? If not, then I would appreciate the same curtisy I gave to you, when I tryed to answer your own question seriously.

That is unless you allready have the undoubtobly complete and correct answer to your question and you therefore feel no need to discuss it further, in which case I don't see the point of making this thread. Unless, of course, you find it satisfying to read other peoples responses, who don't know what they are talking about, while you have the correct answer.

On the other hand, there is the possibility that your response was sincere. In which case I would suggest checking out MTV; you might find it very enlightening on your martial arts journey.

I stand corrected. Indeed, technicaly speaking, everything that was said on this thread is information. Even the video&lyrics response to the question: "what is slt training is for?".

I just wonder, Hendrik, did you expect that we should respond to your question with video&lyrics? If not, then I would appreciate the same curtisy I gave to you, when I tryed to answer your own question seriously.

That is unless you allready have the undoubtobly complete and correct answer to your question and you therefore feel no need to discuss it further, in which case I don't see the point of making this thread. Unless, of course, you find it satisfying to read other peoples responses, who don't know what they are talking about, while you have the correct answer.

On the other hand, there is the possibility that your response was sincere. In which case I would suggest checking out MTV; you might find it very enlightening on your martial arts journey.
    Hendrik is a nut and demonstrates very little social skill. At least very little, what is considered, social skill in western societies. Perhaps he fits in well with other Asians, but he is apparently inept when attempting to socialize with westerners.

Hendrik has a reputation on this BB for being arrogant, narcissistic and obtuse. He acts as if he knows everything, but won't deign to bestow any actual "wisdom" (read: "information") on the "ignorant"!

He tends to criticize others without providing a rational argument, or information, for his opinion. He tries to act like the stereo-typical Asian wise man, but ends up looking like a fool!

Having said that, he does "accidentally" say something of value on rare occasions.