Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: beginning where you end

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Then it's not a circle it's a line....
    depending on your perspective of walking a circle, it would appear to be walking a line... imagine walking on the outer rim of a donut, from your perspective you would be walking in an endlessly straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    02-03-2010 09:55 PM
    Scott R. Brown Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Do you begin where you end or do you end where you begin?

These are also questions.

A circle has no beginning or end!
    /
    However, drawing/making the circle does.
    The Platonic archetype/idea of a "Circle" has no beginning or end though!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The Platonic archetype/idea of a "Circle" has no beginning or end though!
    like a line stretching from two infinite points on an infinite plane.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    like a line stretching from two infinite points on an infinite plane.
    Exactly...except according to euclidean geometry, point, line and plane do not actually exist from a logical sense because they cannot be demonstrated to exist using logic, meaning there are no logical arguments that can demonstrate them to exist. Also, according to geometry all a circle is an infinite number of tangential lines touching each other, or something close to that, it has been 35 years since i have had geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Exactly...except according to euclidean geometry, point, line and plane do not actually exist from a logical sense because they cannot be demonstrated to exist using logic, meaning there are no logical arguments that can demonstrate them to exist. Also, according to geometry all a circle is an infinite number of tangential lines touching each other, or something close to that, it has been 35 years since i have had geometry.
    360 degrees in a circle... 360 degrees in a four 90 degree cornered square and every other geometric shape... all shapes reduce to 9, which is the number of change, the wind... represented by the tiger... this year will be as fleeting as the wind and as powerful as a hurricane on steroids(extra-galactical supernovae light debris)

google ennead.

this year will be as fleeting as the wind
    ya its already february its crazy. im ready for the zombiepocolypse already....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

... this year will be as fleeting as the wind and as powerful as a hurricane on steroids(extra-galactical supernovae light debris)
    I will observe with bated breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ya its already february its crazy. im ready for the zombiepocolypse already....
    Remember.......go for the head....I recommend Borderlands' Dr. Ned's Zombie Island to hone your skills!

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Then it's not a circle it's a line...............
    You say it's a line because it has a beginning acording to No_Know~ And classically a circle has been said to have no beginning and no end.

A Circle being a series of lines used to represent a particular form with virtually no edges. We can go with a circle being a line. A line which's end point is with no space between it and the beginning or start point.

But if you relate a circle with lines or a line you bring-in "points," which is the make-up of lines/a line. Now that you introduce points. Points in general do not pre-exist Existence. Points are made. Therefore, they at least have a beginning and essentially now we have that a circle is made-up of points. And as points have a beginning, you Ronin22 have just helped declare that a circle has a beginning/ circles have a beginning.

No_Know

Yesterday 08:44 PM
    Scott R. Brown

...The Platonic archetype/idea of a "Circle" has no beginning or end though!
    /

You say that But I have searched for that. Please post from a source stating Plato's "idea" of a circle found in Plato's words or Plato's works~. Considering that I have searched for this and have not yet found and you have Circle in quotes, you also do not know a circle as a Platonic archetype beleived by Plato to have no beginning and no end.

And perhaps the mere thought of the idea of a circle is evidence if it having a beginning. The beginning of it having been thought.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Beginnings and endings and beginnings and endings and !

Why talk about circles when you can talk about cycles?

Every breath is a birth and a death and life is the space in between.

Bagua is cyclical, not circular (It's Octo-phasic!) Yet another reason to like spirals...

Begin and then end and then begin again. Then "and then" again. That's as important as the beginning. As important as the ending. The process FROM beginning to ending... the "and then."

Do you "and then" where you begin? Do you end where you "and then"?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    You say that But I have searched for that. Please post from a source stating Plato's "idea" of a circle found in Plato's words or Plato's works~. Considering that I have searched for this and have not yet found and you have Circle in quotes, you also do not know a circle as a Platonic archetype beleived by Plato to have no beginning and no end.

And perhaps the mere thought of the idea of a circle is evidence if it having a beginning. The beginning of it having been thought.

No_Know
    Hi No_Know,

To my knowledge Plato did not speak about circles specifically, he spoke about archetypal IDEAS. That is, a circle is a circle because we have an IDEA of what constitutes a circle and this IDEA is what the physical circle is based upon. The physical manifestation of an object is merely a crude copy of its archetypal IDEA!

A circle that is drawn has a physical beginning and end, an archetypal circle is not drawn, it is an IDEA that is complete in and of itself. When we form the idea of CIRCLE it is complete as a circle from the start. It has no beginning or end.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 02-06-2010 at 08:20 AM.

spots

Its Tradional to begin and end forms in the same spot.

Good thread
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Beginning and end are common in the circumference of the circle.
    (Heraclitus, DK 103)

He also said:
    The most beautiful universe is a heap piled up at random.
    (Heraclitus, DK 124)
    Which makes me think Heraclitus did not like circles.

"The Ouroboros or Uroborus[1] is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle.

The Ouroboros often represents self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end (compare Phoenix). It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished. The ouroboros has been important in religious and mythological symbolism, but has also been frequently used in alchemical illustrations, where it symbolizes the circular nature of the alchemist's opus. It is also often associated with Gnosticism, and Hermeticism.

Carl Jung interpreted the Ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche.[citation needed] The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.
    Contents:

* 1 Historical representations
    o 1.1 Antiquity
    o 1.2 Middle Ages
    o 1.3 Alchemy
    o 1.4 Freemasonry
    o 1.5 Kundalini Yoga
    o 1.6 Theosophy
    o 1.7 Non-western traditions
    o 1.8 Modern

Plato described a self-eating, circular being as the first living thing in the universe—an immortal, perfectly constructed animal..."
    Last edited by kfson; 02-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Ultimately there is no line or circle so how can it have a beginning or end?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Yet another reason to like spirals...

Begin and then end and then begin again. Then "and then" again. That's as important as the beginning. As important as the ending. The process FROM beginning to ending... the "and then."

Do you "and then" where you begin? Do you end where you "and then"?
    nice food for thought here... i too am a fan of the spiral, which from one perspective can look like circles when viewed on on a flat on a 2D surface... it is said that even gravity works in a spiraling motion, as do hurricanes, tornados, and whirlpools - as even though they are circular in nature, they are infact spiralling circles that move from place to place, except the whirlpool of course, which would have a fixed point below while the surface spin on the water moves around... wow, imagining it even in a more clear perspective, a whirlpool behaves very similar to the movements of fire, which also has a fixed source.

and i didn't even wake and bake yet... LOL

nice food for thought here... i too am a fan of the spiral, which from one perspective can look like circles when viewed on on a flat on a 2D surface...
    Here's a spiral for ya: imagine a vector which rotates on all three axes: simultaneously turning (like a hurricane,) spinning (like a bullet) and rotating (like a wheel.)

I've tried drawing that sucker. I wish I knew how to use Mathematica.

Not that this has much to do with anything beyond symbols, of course.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero