Thread: The Real Deal

The Real Deal

I am happy to be on this forum, and been reading alot of stuff :0

Can I say in very short words and with the most respect that Most teatchers will learn there students the commercial way of doing a set like Xiao hong for example. And how stronger the interest and commitment the more information, and money maybe ?

And do they also learn more to Chinese students then Western people? Because :

The last, i saw today at the tai chi lesson, the Chinese lady told me she learns little different tricks to the Chinese people and different things to us the western.

It all looks the same if someone doesnt know Tai Chi.

Peace Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I am happy to be on this forum, and been reading alot of stuff :0

Can I say in very short words and with the most respect that Most teatchers will learn there students the commercial way of doing a set like Xiao hong for example. And how stronger the interest and commitment the more information, and money maybe ?

And do they also learn more to Chinese students then Western people? Because :

The last, i saw today at the tai chi lesson, the Chinese lady told me she learns little different tricks to the Chinese people and different things to us the western.

It all looks the same if someone doesnt know Tai Chi.

Peace Eugene
    yeah...well, that's basically racist and shallow. lol
    But it's ok, because taichi is for hippies and fairies and is not a martial art anyway.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hey David,

I was talking more about the Shaolin Sets. And Tai Chi was for an example.

During the week I practice Shaolin and in the weekend Tai Chi.

As to learn any of the famous songshan 10 set : Do they learn it different to westeners and Chinese people due to my incident today.

I have a feeling if a teatcher loves his pulip much he will learn him 80 % more then some one from far away, this person learn just the basics * commercial * for alot of money....
    Much inside info like for a Xiao Hong Routine for example....

* why movement one, and for what, and how to breath, and where to focus and, for wich organ etc.... in stead of doing the movements like a robot ...

With all respect and no offence, peace Eugene

The language barrier is a major factor

Students who are fluent in the native tongue of their teacher naturally get better lessons. Wise students who are not bilingual watch those other lessons carefully.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Students who are fluent in the native tongue of their teacher naturally get better lessons. Wise students who are not bilingual watch those other lessons carefully.
    then again the wisest of teachers and students do not rely on words as a medium of instruction.

So what does that say about our posts?

Post your answer not in words.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

LOL!

You guys were talking about lessons in tai chi (martial arts in general), right?

That said, I'll agree with uki on this one. The best instructor I ever had wasted little time on words and just drilled us. Sink or swim. Not to say he didn't point out the error of our ways. He just showed us the difference on what we were doing wrong and how it was suppose to be done. Skipping the lecture to make the most of our class time.

Last edited by Lucas; 01-25-2010 at 03:58 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

language barrier

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    LOL!

You guys were talking about lessons in tai chi (martial arts in general), right?

That said, I'll agree with uki on this one. The best instructor I ever had wasted little time on words and just drilled us. Sink or swim. Not to say he didn't point out the error of our ways. He just showed us the difference on what we were doing wrong and how it was suppose to be done. Skipping the lecture to make the most of our class time.
    Mercy! Been there, watched that happen...

As usual, uki speaks the truth, but still there are one or two or maybe three in a "normal" class that have enough understanding of what's happening and can benefit from "direct" instruction. The other 5 or 10 or 20 students rarely practice at home between classes, don't read CMA books and magazines or read the forums, and so need more background in order to "get it" at all.

I can't say how it is in other cultures, but here the Western instructor will teach the Western student more precisely because of the language barrier. Older Chinese students with small english skills will understand less than younger Chinese students who have been here forever and speak english as well as anybody. The usual Western instructor knows no Chinese at all...

To the original poster: I took a short course from a Shaolin monk last year, whose students were almost all Chinese, young and not-so-young and old folks. This Chinese monk had very good english skills, and bent over backwards to make sure I understood everything he was saying. I just wish I could learn as fast - that is, my body could train as fast - as all that he taught me in a short period of time. Personally, I think Westerners do not try to overcome the language barrier with Chinese instructors; and bring the poor learning skills to class with them. The instructor reacts to that and gives up on them as a lost cause. There are many Westerners who will spend the money to take some classes with a Master in order to go back home and put it on their resume and not really care about learning very much....

I will take a one day workshop about once per year from our Master, and that is about all that I can handle. Maybe 10 years from now I could take regular classes from him. Although he gives a 1, 2, 3, 4 step learn it fast in a day workshop; he lets us walk around and observe him, very generous for a Chinese Master I think. The rest of the year, all I want is my regular instructor....
    .... Skip

Lucas!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    that's hellacious..... Texan for, well you understand.....
    .... Skip