Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of Sifu Robert Smith (Miami, FL)

Quote Originally Posted by Ender7659 View Post
    Once again, thanks for the reply. I'm 22 years old.

Based on your age I'd suggest you try Lee Koon Hung's school. It's a great style with a known and respected sifu and staff. You'd be among others near or at your age and experience level as well. If for some reason you feel CLF is not for you and would like to try Hak Fu Mun?

Just private message or email me through this forum and I'd discuss with you how you can go about training with us.

I only suggest this because everyone that trains with us are more experienced and a bit older than yourself. I'm 43 and the others are in their 40's as well. If you train with us it would be pretty much you and sifu one on one, and take my word that's tough!

I tell everyone traditional training one on one with a old school sifu, is not what I might consider fun...

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Why don't you just come out and say that you don't want the guy to train there.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post

I don't think that's what he was saying. If anything, he's letting me know it's a great place to go if I'm up for a challenge/change.

I'm going to visit a trial class today at LKH school. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    If, I didn't want him to train with us... I didn't have to reply to this thread. The only way he would be able to find us, is through me. As I explained and he understood training with us might be rather boring but tough.

We are not a commercial school and the majority of us are 20+ yrs older than he and a bit more experienced. He would spend a lot of time one on one with sifu and sifu is... let's just say he's not a peoples person at the start.

I don't think that's the image most people new to CMA are ready for. Few beginners have lasted past their first training class with us. I myself have stated on this forum in the past.... I almost quit several times myself and I had been training almost 15 yrs prior to meeting my sifu.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

JMD:

I think what you said makes perfect sense and is in fact good advice for someone just getting into martial arts. Although we are a traditional school it is still a school setting and I think it is less intimidating to a new student when there are other new students around them. If he goes the route of hak fu mun in the way your sifu teaches it would probably be better to do something first to at least get exposed to martial arts. We are a bit of a drive for him but I think it will be worth his while. I think with any school or teacher you get out what you put in so it really is ultimately up to the student.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 01-28-2010 at 02:19 PM.

black tiger will eat you and spit out your bones.

do something else.

awesome.

Oh hey Jeff! How's things? All is well up here. Just me and Wai Yee smashing away the weak parts. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    JMD:

I think what you said makes perfect sense and is in fact good advice for someone just getting into martial arts. Although we are a traditional school it is still a school setting and I think it is less intimidating to a new student when there are other new students around them. If he goes the route of hak fu mun in the way your sifu teaches it would probably be better to do something first to at least get exposed to martial arts. We are a bit of a drive for him but I think it will be worth his while. I think with any school or teacher you get out what you put in so it really is ultimately up to the student.

Peace.
    CLFNole,

I agree 100%

Anyone who has ever followed my posting on this forum knows my martial arts studies were influenced by a meeting with Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung. He actually stopped and talked to me and remembered me from a tourney in which I myself was a beginner. He was a great man and I will forever cherish that meeting. I also spoke that I myself was going to start training at the school shortly after his brother took over. I think that shows how much respect I have for the school, style, instructors and the late Grandmaster.

The school is very traditional and like CLFNole said it's " less intimidating to a new student when there are other new students around them."

I agree with CLFNole it's a bit of a drive I stay in Miami Gardens near the stadium, but I also agree it's well worth it. There are other schools much closer but none I would recommend over Lee Koon Hung's.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    black tiger will eat you and spit out your bones.

do something else.

awesome.

Oh hey Jeff! How's things? All is well up here. Just me and Wai Yee smashing away the weak parts. lol
    Hey David!

I'm great still training with sifu. Give Stanley my best!

I need to chat with you when you have time. I know it's been yrs since we chatted hahaha. Have you seen the vids that Eric has posted on you tube?

here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/harkfumun

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

jmd:

As one of the instructors I have always thought you spoke well of our school. I have read a bit about your sifu but have never had the chance to meet him. I have always heard very good things about your sigung. From some of the stuff I have seen our styles definately share similarities.

By the way are those videos on the site from your lineage of hak fu mun?

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 01-28-2010 at 03:01 PM.

jmd:

As one of the instructors I have always thought you spoke well of our school. I have read a bit about your sifu but have never had the chance to meet him. I have alsways heard very good things about your sigung. From some of the stuff I have seen our styles definately share similarities.

By the way are those videos on the site from your lineage of hak fu mun?

Peace.
    Yeah sifu is not much of a people's person lol

I laugh when he says I don't like to so so with people...

Yeah those are from our lineage it's done a bit different than how we do it but it's close.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

So there are other sifus still in Hong Kong from Wong Cheung?

As far as your sifu goes there is nothing wrong with not being social personally I am rather quiet and keep to myself, so its all good. As long as he is a good sifu, which seems the case that is all that matters.

Do you know if he knew my sifu when they were in Hong Kong?

So there are other sifus still in Hong Kong from Wong Cheung?

As far as your sifu goes there is nothing wrong with not being social personally I am rather quiet and keep to myself, so its all good. As long as he is a good sifu, which seems the case that is all that matters.

Do you know if he knew my sifu when they were in Hong Kong?

Yes there are sifu still in Hong Kong who learned directly under Wong Cheung like my sifu. Most are not teaching however.

There are quite a few senior and junior to my sifu in fact. Problem is it was expected that my sifu would become the sifu once sigung passed on. He was Chairman of the Assoc. My sifu decided to leave and come to America, so when sigung passed my sifu was in America and no one had been named to take over upon sigung's death.

Most would like my sifu to head the Assoc. My sifu doesn't feel he should because he respects his seniors and feels they should have a board. Plus sigung only taught Hak Fu Mun in 1/3's to most. He felt no one person could handle knowing the entire system that it was too vast.

My sifu has spoken of your sifu many times. He has never said how well he knew your sifu but I can tell Lee Koon Hung had my sifu's respect. Not many people have my sifu's respect. He won't speak bad of anyone but you can tell those who he's not impressed with. He's said he knows Li Siu Hung as well...although he seems to not know him very well personally like Lee Koon Hung.

I have a picture I'm gonna pm to you it has many CLF masters at my sigungs school maybe you'll know some of them? My sifu's uncle was a CLF master i don't know his name though...my sifu knows a lot about CLF.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Sounds cool, looking forward to it.

where you one of the guys that was there last night (thurs)?
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Hey David!

I'm great still training with sifu. Give Stanley my best!

I need to chat with you when you have time. I know it's been yrs since we chatted hahaha. Have you seen the vids that Eric has posted on you tube?

here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/harkfumun

jeff
    Great! Hey I didn't see these vids! Just the student in Australia and the others you had and of course the disks from Eric that Stanley shared. Cool! I'll definitely have to turn Stanley onto this channel. He'll love seeing the rings. He loves the rings. lol

I don't run my msn much anymore, I'll fire it up again and ping you in the near future. then, we can chat.

cheers man, all the best!
    Kung Fu is good for you.