Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the WCK?

Terence

I changed the name of the clip to:
    Light Kickboxing in Toronto Wing Chun school. I wouldn't want to mislead you.

Are you the Wing Chun savior who came down from Wing Chun heaven to be Jongnified on a wooden dummy and forgive us of our Wing Chun inadequacies?

(No offense intended to any religion)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Not necessarily. Two guys I train with snapped people's arms in confrontations. Neither was the aggressor, but one of them was charged with aggravated assault. The guy who was charged took down a guy who tried to punch him and snapped his arm with an arm bar from the mount.

The other guy pulled guard and threw on an arm bar. The guy who who got his arm snapped was arrested because all the witness saw him as the aggressor on top on the ground.

I've pulled guard many a time in stick fights to disarm sticks and once using the shock knife.
    Yeah, fair enough. John Will actually told us a few stories of guys that had pulled guard in melees and ended up less damaged than the others because they had a body between them and people that were trying to kick or hit them. And JBW made the "perceived aggressor" argument as well.

Unlike some, apparently, I'm happy to be corrected by those with more experience.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Are you the Wing Chun savior who came down from Wing Chun heaven to be Jongnified on a wooden dummy and forgive us of our Wing Chun inadequacies?
    No, he was the dummy, just got confused about his place in the proceedings.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

hey t why don't you dob him in to the police. Your just ****ed phil challenged you and you ran like a little *****

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    The difference is I recognize that and apparently you don't. For me to put up clips would only be adding fuel to the fire, and I'd be doing the very thing that I see as a problem.

This smells a little..

Sorry but you are elevating yourself above everyone else by stating only you train correctly, fight the right people and also use a system, art, style, etc, that you did not make up----so you must have gotten it from *someone else*..(first contradiction)

Having elevated yourself by your own apparently very unique Wing Chun Chuan experience it would be only fair and for the good of the suffering WCK community to share your apparently extraordinary adaption of the art. To do any less could only serve to keep the art and it's practitioners in it's present state of mediocrity..

Given that you care so much, what does this say about your ability to contribute? If you do care so much and clearly have this unique level of experience, then to withhold such information would completely contradict your stated position on the matter... (second contradiction) Unless you have nothing to contribute in a practical sense and then that would seem to suggest that your unique experience actually means naught.

Odd.

See you don't have to be "good enough" or "good" just better than everyone else here--as you have intimated--to contribute.

So show us how much you really care and contribute instead of just shooting down everyone and everything that is not *what you do*...whatever that is.
    Last edited by YungChun; 01-27-2010 at 03:55 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

just for the record i thought i was going to see wing chun too. but like i said i enjoyed the clip

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    This smells a little..

Sorry but you are elevating yourself above everyone else by stating only you train correctly, fight the right people and also use a system, art, style, etc, that you did not make up----so you must have gotten it from *someone else*..(first contradiction)
    I'm hardly the only one who trains "correctly" -- just about everyone seems to have figured it out. Only the die-hard TMA people don't seem to get it.

If you read my posts, I repeatedly say don't listen to me because of my authority (I don't claim any), listen to what the good fighters and fight trainers say to do. And, go train with them.

Does that "smell a little"?

I am not the only person in WCK who does or has done this. But it is an easy thing to tell who has just by what they say.

Having elevated yourself by your own apparently very unique Wing Chun Chuan experience it would be only fair and for the good of the suffering WCK community to share your apparently extraordinary adaption of the art. To do any less could only serve to keep the art and it's practitioners in it's present state of mediocrity..

Given that you care so much, what does this say about your ability to contribute? If you do care so much and clearly have this unique level of experience, then to withhold such information would completely contradict your stated position on the matter... (second contradiction) Unless you have nothing to contribute in a practical sense and then that would seem to suggest that your unique experience actually means naught.
    The TMA mindset is that you can "get it" from another person. You can't. It doesn't work that way. You "get it" by and through the work YOU do. It's like any other sport or athletic activity: you learn and getting better at riding a bike or surfing or any other skill by doing it, and no one can show you how to do it. You just learn the fundamentals, and then put those to work. You learn to box by boxing.

Odd.

See you don't have to be "good enough" or "good" just better than everyone else here--as you have intimated--to contribute.

So show us how much you really care and contribute instead of just shooting down everyone and everything that is not *what you do*...whatever that is.
    It's not a question of being better (more skillful) than anyone else (that's not even an issue) -- it pertains to what really happens in fighting. That's why I keep saying that you don't need to be particularly skillful to know what things will work and what things won't work. It's not a skill issue, it's an experience issue. My point is that much of what is said here isn't based on experience -- remember my post about "if you aren't teaching and practcing those things you consistently see in sparring you are teaching and training to fail"? -- but theory, belief, dogma, etc.

No one can give you good experience. You need to earn that yourself.

Terence, your posts suggest that you have the answers. You say you care but you don't share. I find this very disingenuous.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Terence, your posts suggest that you have the answers. You say you care but you don't share. I find this very disingenuous.
    Phil, it doesn't matter if I have the answers or not. No one -- even someone that has worked out the answers for himself -- can give them to you or to another person. You don't "get" WCK from your sifu. The answers always need to be worked out by the individual himself. WCK, like boxing, is a personal art. And that's why I keep telling people to go train with good, proven fighters: that's the only way to work out the answers for yourself. You learn to box by boxing.

If you read my posts, I repeatedly say don't listen to me because of my authority (I don't claim any),
    If you are so concerned about this, why not forgo posting and avoid the possibility of someone making the mistake of listening to you? That would be the charitable thing to do on a large number of levels.

Phil, it doesn't matter if I have the answers or not. No one -- even someone that has worked out the answers for himself -- can give them to you or to another person. You don't "get" WCK from your sifu. The answers always need to be worked out by the individual himself. WCK, like boxing, is a personal art. And that's why I keep telling people to go train with good, proven fighters: that's the only way to work out the answers for yourself. You learn to box by boxing.
    I think most people know that. Look at it this way. I'm NOT going to change what has worked for me against "skilled" opponents in the ring because of your uninformed opinions. I can name drop but why should I since you won't even post a clip.
    Don't make a judgment based on short video clips that you don't understand. You are the type of person that has to feel to believe. btw, how much to you weigh?
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

how much to you weigh?
    I bet $10 he won't tell you..

But... I'll also bet he's <150....
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

It's not a question of being better (more skillful) than anyone else (that's not even an issue) -- it pertains to what really happens in fighting. That's why I keep saying that you don't need to be particularly skillful to know what things will work and what things won't work.
    If something doesn't work for you when fighting does that mean that thing can't work for someone else in fighting?

If something doesn't work for you when fighting today does that mean that thing can't work for you in the future?

If something doesn't work for you when fighting does that mean that thing is invalid?

How do you determine (in VT) what is valid and what is not? You do make those statements..

Is your EXPERIENCE then a template to use on someone else?

According to your own logic it is not and can't be.

Yet you pontificate on what is and what is not valid for others *regardless* of their experience...based on your own.

If your experience is a valid template for others to be judged then you must have something to teach... Otherwise you can't apply your template on others because each is person is unique and can only have his own.

----------------------------------------------

Those with knowledge of really applying any art can serve to guide... It's done in all 'real' fighting arts..

Guide or get off.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    If something doesn't work for you when fighting does that mean that thing can't work for someone else in fighting?

If something doesn't work for you when fighting today does that mean that thing can't work for you in the future?

If something doesn't work for you when fighting does that mean that thing is invalid?

How do you determine (in VT) what is valid and what is not? You do make those statements..

Is your EXPERIENCE then a template to use on someone else?

According to your own logic it is not and can't be.

Yet you pontificate on what is and what is not valid for others *regardless* of their experience...based on your own.

If your experience is a valid template for others to be judged then you must have something to teach... Otherwise you can't apply your template on others because each is person is unique and can only have his own.
    Thanks for your post. You said politely what I really want to say on a street level. I have martial arts brothers/sisters from different linegages and students who are members here so with regards to Terence I'll try to adhere to proper martial arts Mo Duk.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thanks for your post. You said politely what I really want to say on a street level. I have martial arts brothers/sisters from different linegages and students who are members here so with regards to Terence I'll try to adhere to proper martial arts Mo Duk.
    Thanks..

Ain't Mo Duk a beech? LOL
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F