Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFY Arizona workshop Jan 2010

HFY Arizona workshop Jan 2010

Hung Fa Yi of Arizona are pleased to announce

Fu style Tai Chi, Dragon Style Broadsword and Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Public Workshop Tempe, Arizona Jan 16th 2010

HFY of Arizona will host a special one Day Public workshop with GM Garrett Gee of the World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Association. For the first time in Arizona Grandmaster Gee will be presenting to the public, elements of his family kung fu from the Wu Tang System as passed down to him from his renowned father Grandmaster Peter Kim Ho Chu. Grandmaster Chu's first teacher dates back to one of the famous Five Northern Tigers in 1920's China, Fu Zheung Sung. Master Fu’s Wu Tang Kung Fu System included Fu Style Tai Chi, Leung-Yi Keun, Sei Cheung Kuen, Lightning Palm Kuen and Dragon Style Pak Qua.

Saturday’s public workshop will be a special presentation in three parts featuring Fu style Tai chi, Dragon Style Broadsword and Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. The first two portions of the workshop will focus on form and application and as members of the Arizona swordsman club can attest this promises to be an action packed day and all martial artists with an interest in these hard to find internal arts are encouraged to attend.

The third portion will address the HFY “Ng Ying Sau” concept, illustrating how HFY Wing Chun utilizes three combat ranges, i.e. Close quarter, Intermediate and Long range in comparison to the five combat ranges commonly associated with MMA type thinking i.e. Long kicking, Short kicking/Long striking, Trapping, Stand up grappling/Clinch and Ground grappling. By understanding the “Ng Ying Sau” concept the workshop participants will gain an insight into the difference between the HFY Tin Yan Dei concept and the Tin Yan Dei concept as applied to the Animal Kung fu styles.

In addition to the public workshop members of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Instructor candidate program will be working throughout the weekend on their certification material. To pass the entry level certification all instructors candidates are required to have a comprehensive understanding of the HFY SNT logic flow to include structural energy and skill challenges from a three layer perspective.

Firstly an Understanding of “Ying” (structural energy) through the Sup Ming dim reference points and how to apply the right syllable at the right time, Secondly the correct way to occupy Time and Space and thirdly application of the HFY Tin Yan Dei concept. Training will primarily consist of skill challenge in all the above areas.

Cost : $100Members, $150 Non Members

Schedule for the weekend is as follows:-

Thursday 14th Jan
    Evening - Private training / HFY Instructor Candidate Meeting
    Friday 15th Jan
    Daytime - Private training / Fu Tai Chi, Dragon Style Broadsword
    Evening - Private training / HFY Instructor Candidate Training
    Saturday 16th Jan
    Daytime - Public Workshop 9am thru 5pm Fu Tai Chi / Dragon Style Broadsword
    Evening - Private training / HFY Instructor Candidate Training
    Sunday 17th Jan
    Morning - Private training / HFY Instructor Candidate Training
    Sifu Mark Jones
    Southwest Regional Director
    Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
    Tempe AZ 85284 USA
    (480) 820-2428
    sifujones@hfyofarizona.com
    www.hfyofarizona.com
    www.hungfakwoon.com
    www.hungfablog.com

The seminar this weekend in Tempe, Arizona will definitely be one to attend! Grandmaster Garrett Gee will share Ng Ying Sau, from the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen lineage. The Ng Ying Sau 五形手 focuses on the closest of the three timeframes of combat engagement. The other two are the long range, Luk Mun Jan 六门阵 and the intermediate range, Sei Mun Da 四门打. These methods are distinct from both of the viewpoints of animal style kung fu and MMA. An expression of HFY Tin Yan Dei is required to fully implement this method into one’s training.

Also of note is to recognize Sifu Mark Jones’ continued contribution to the Hung Fa Yi lineage. His tireless efforts in offering this unique system in Arizona is much appreciated by all who train.

This seminar will be excellent. Grandmaster Gee always shares unique insights in philosophy, kung fu etiquette and combat awareness.

Contact the Tempe Kwoon for more details.
    Taylor Goin
    Grandmaster Garrett Gee 朱竞雄
    Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun 红花义詠春拳
    Harmonizing one's true identity through Time Space & Energy
    Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun 红花义詠春拳 Luk Mun Jan 六门阵 concept
    Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun 红花义詠春拳 Sei Mun Da 四门打concept
    Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun 红花义詠春拳 Ng Ying Sau 五形手 concept

Hello

with only a few days to go to the workshop the students and instructors at the Hung Fa Kwoon of Arizona are eagerly awaiting the arrival of HFY Grandmaster Garrett Gee. The workshop this weekend promises to be another eye opening experience, regardless of one’s martial arts background for all who participate. Through GM Gee’s extensive expertise in traditional Chinese kung fu those attending will get to experience “first hand” the difference between a traditional martial arts or MMA understanding of range and the “3 range concept” as expressed through Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun, which deals with wrist energy, forearm energy and whole body energy.

In particular the workshop will explore the “Ng Ying Sau” or “Five Short Hands” concept. More can be found on this subject here

http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthr...?t=2737&page=5

Ng Ying Sau (五形手)

Hung Fa Yi, as professed by our esteemed Sifu, Grandmaster Garrett Gee, “is” the original face of Hung Gun Biu's HFY Wing Chun.

Hung Fa Yi presents us with the knowledge and concepts to place us in harmony with any situation or conflict. Within the Saam Mo Kiu philosophy we find the Time, Space and Energy consciousness that was expounded by the monks of the Shaolin Temple as well as the fighting experience of the Ming Dynasty military personnel who took refuge there.

Due to Hung Fa Yi’s career as a synthesis of battlefield survival, its personality reflects the utmost adherence to compactness and efficiency. Within this approach we are taught formulas which supply us with perfect structure, the ability to encroach and penetrate our opponents defenses and the ability to lose and regain superior position.

Unlike other martial arts systems that teach how to escape, Hung Fa Yi’s outlook toward the opponent is engagement.

We hear of different range considerations such as jabbing range, elbow range, kicking range, grappling range and clinching range in mixed martial arts and animal styles of kung fu. Hung Fa Yi’s approach is the optimal application of
    HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY.

Through the efforts of our ancestors, we inherit the “Three Range Concept.” This concept involves wrist energy, forearm energy and whole body energy. Here we will find the methods according to the need for long, medium or short range focus.

Point of Reference: “Ng Ying Sau” or “Five Short Hands.”

In this layer of study we focus on the proper application of “inside the box” engagement using the Pak Sau, Wu Sau, Chum Sau, Lan Sau and Gum Sau.

With each hand we first apply the “Ying” or “correct structure concept. With each strike, we are required to demonstrate correct Sam Dim Yat Sin or three points one line structure and Sap Ming Dim, or Ten Bright Points Structure. Adherence to these principals assures us of a secure situation, free of distortion, which can otherwise provide the opponent with an advantage.

Once proper Ying structure is acquired we can concentrate on penetrating the opponent’s box and occupying his space. Strict adherence to body structure is always required. In this layer we develop the sensitivity and body karma to engage the opponent and take control of his centerline and center of gravity.
    At this point we apply more varieties of energy and body mechanics which could include the Deng Gee Ma or “T” Stance footwork or the Kin Quan Ma, which is the “Iniang Nature, Harmony Stance” footwork.

Last but certainly not least, we pass through the Fau Kiu or Wandering Bridge section of this exercise. The term Fau Kiu is used because we offer the opponent an opening with which to pursue, but, rather than letting him take full advantage of “our” distortion, we immediately assume a structurally sound defense accompanied by a centerline attack.

The Ng Ying Sau or Five Short Hands demonstrates, quite amply, the
    Tin Yan Dei or Heaven, Human, Earth concept of Hung Fa Yi.
    No ducking, no bobbing and weaving, no running away, no rolling around.
    Leaving us standing up, in control.
    In harmony with the Universe

Fraternally yours,
    Rudy Ortiz
    Sifu Mark Jones
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
    Tempe AZ 85284 USA
    (480) 820-2428
    www.hfyofarizona.com
    www.hungfakwoon.com
    www.hungfablog.com

Ng Ying Sau

For a more in depth discussion of the "Ng Ying Sau" concept please also take a look at the following thread

http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2867
    Sifu Mark Jones
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
    Tempe AZ 85284 USA
    (480) 820-2428
    www.hfyofarizona.com
    www.hungfakwoon.com
    www.hungfablog.com

Update

Yetserday Garndmaster Garrett Gee 朱竞雄 , the Lineage holder of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun 红花义詠春拳 introduced for the first time in public the close quarter technology from Hung Fa Yi “Ng Ying Sau” 五形手 concept. This technology and the Hung fa Yi three range concept are what enable Hung Fa Yi boxer to easily deal with fighters from an mma/animal style mindset whilst maintaining a true wing chun Identity. Look forward to more write ups and feed back from our workshop participants in the coming days.

Sifu Gee 朱竞雄 conducted a marathon World record 17 hour non stop workshop, a feat unsurpassed in the martial arts community and much appreciated by all who attended. The success of this workshop can be measured by the fact that those participating identified so strongly with the material presented that they had the energy and enthusiasm to train without let up from 9am Saturday through 2am this morning As testament to the commitment and contribution Grandmaster Gee offers to the martial arts community, after only 4 hours sleep Sifu Gee is back at the Hung fa Kwoon of Arizona this morning to continue working with his core instructor group on more material.

Hung Fa Kwoon of Arizona look forward to having Grandmaster Gee back in the next couple of months for another public workshop to explore the topic of Hung Fa Yi “Sei Mun Da“ 四门打 medium range concept. For anyone interested in experiecing this rich and exiting branch of Wing Chun please contact myself for details

On behalf of everyone here I would like to express my deep gratitude for Grandmaster Gee’s tireles and selfless efforts to preserve and pass on this unique Wing Chun lineage from our esteemed ancestor Hung Gun Biu.
    Sifu Mark Jones
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
    Tempe AZ 85284 USA
    (480) 820-2428
    www.hfyofarizona.com
    www.hungfakwoon.com
    www.hungfablog.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    . This technology and the Hung fa Yi three range concept are what enable Hung Fa Yi boxer to easily deal with fighters from an mma/animal style mindset whilst maintaining a true wing chun Identity.
    Hmmm. Really? "Easily deal" with MMA fighters. And you believe that?

Perhaps you could point me to anyone in HFY who IS actually "easily dealing" with MMA fighters in the real world and not the world of their imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Hmmm. Really? "Easily deal" with MMA fighters. And you believe that?

Perhaps you could point me to anyone in HFY who IS actually "easily dealing" with MMA fighters in the real world and not the world of their imagination.
    You have to take into consideration that not everyone is going to be a Randy Couture. There are likely thousands of people that train MMA that will never make the ring or never win a fight. There are just going to be exceptions, and these exceptions can indeed occur within any fighting discipline. I agree that this statement should have not been made because of it's implications, as there are also thousands of Wing Chun fighters that will not win a fight too. I think it all really comes down to one's committment, strength, training, and willingness to injure someone. Of course if we are talking about the ring, we all know that everyone has to stay within certain perameters, rules of exchange, so we are all pretty much going to have to fight much the same.
    Given a back alley situation however, it would be very interesting to see just how Easily one can deal with a MMA trained fighter.

LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    You have to take into consideration that not everyone is going to be a Randy Couture. There are likely thousands of people that train MMA that will never make the ring or never win a fight. There are just going to be exceptions, and these exceptions can indeed occur within any fighting discipline.
    People who train MMA fight -- they may never compete, but they fight as part of their training. Sure, not every MMA fighters will make it to the elite class; that's true in all athletics. But that's besides the point. The claim is that Garrett is teaching the way to "easily deal" MMA fighters.

I agree that this statement should have not been made because of it's implications,
    I don't mind people making claims if they have evidence to support the claim. What I do mind is dishonesty.

as there are also thousands of Wing Chun fighters that will not win a fight too. I think it all really comes down to one's committment, strength, training, and willingness to injure someone. Of course if we are talking about the ring, we all know that everyone has to stay within certain perameters, rules of exchange, so we are all pretty much going to have to fight much the same.
    Given a back alley situation however, it would be very interesting to see just how Easily one can deal with a MMA trained fighter.
    LCP
    What "it comes down to" is quite simply the amount of quality sparring you do. By "quality" I mean in both the level of your opponents and the realism of your sparring. That's the main indicator of what any person's fighting skill level will be, regardless of their style.

The ONLY way people in WCK are going to be able to beat MMA fighters is by cross-training extensively, and by going and training/sparring with MMA fighters and putting in hundreds of hours sparring. In other words, by becoming MMA fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Yetserday Garndmaster Garrett Gee 朱竞雄 , the Lineage holder of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun 红花义詠春拳 introduced for the first time in public the close quarter technology from Hung Fa Yi “Ng Ying Sau” 五形手 concept. This technology and the Hung fa Yi three range concept are what enable Hung Fa Yi boxer to easily deal with fighters from an mma/animal style mindset whilst maintaining a true wing chun Identity. Look forward to more write ups and feed back from our workshop participants in the coming days.

Oh lol another one of those easily defeats MMA with his deadly hidden secrets.... i can;t wait to see all his students winning in the Cage and ring.....

The ONLY way people in WCK are going to be able to beat MMA fighters is by cross-training extensively, and by going and training/sparring with MMA fighters and putting in hundreds of hours sparring. In other words, by becoming MMA fighters.
    Terence the do as I say not as I do man strikes again. You will never be able to prove that statement but of course that didn't stop you from posting it.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by canglong View Post
    Terence the do as I say not as I do man strikes again. You will never be able to prove that statement but of course that didn't stop you from posting it.
    Sure you can prove it -- where are ANY fighters that can consistently hold their own against MMA fighters that don't (cross-) train MMA? Exactly - there aren't any.

Of course, in some imaginary world they might exist . . .

You asked yourself a question and then answered it nice but you haven't proven a **** thing.
    Tony Jacobs

You asked yourself a question and then answered it nice but you haven't proven a **** thing.
    I can't help it that you have poor reasoning skills.

You said that there is no proof of my assertion that "The ONLY way people in WCK are going to be able to beat MMA fighters is by cross-training extensively, and by going and training/sparring with MMA fighters and putting in hundreds of hours sparring. In other words, by becoming MMA fighters."

I responded by pointing out that the EVIDENCE shows that the only people who have been able to and are presently able to deal with MMA fighters are those people who (cross-) train MMA. The EVIDENCE overwhelmingly supports the assertion.

So, it's not that I asked myself a question then answered it, but rather I first looked at the EVIDENCE and then arrived at my conclusion (assertion).

And how did you collect all this "overwhelming evidence"? If you could be so kind as to post it so we can all take a look at it that might help.
    Tony Jacobs

And how did you collect all this "overwhelming evidence"? If you could be so kind as to post it so we can all take a look at it that might help.
    Take a look at the training of all successful MMA fighters.