Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What does "Siu Lim Tau" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Unless we can step back in time to ask the person/people which had given the WC forms their names, the true meanings will never to be revealed.

We can debate over these for an million years, the best we can come up with is .. little/small/simple idea of the mind/head.

The best we can do is to use our mind/head, explore all possibilities of the tools given.
    Quoting Hendrik's post: That is not applied to those who have SLT kuen kuit.

It can applied to any spoken or written words, drawings, carvings, pictures, videos or SONGS... We applied our own interpretation to what is presented with our own frame of references, can never capture the original intend, some may get pretty close...but no cigar.

Need not wast time dwelling on what they supposed to mean, time better use in more training IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Quoting Hendrik's post: That is not applied to those who have SLT kuen kuit.

It can applied to any spoken or written words, drawings, carvings, pictures, videos or SONGS... We applied our own interpretation to what is presented with our own frame of references, can never capture the original intend, some may get pretty close...but no cigar.

Need not wast time dwelling on what they supposed to mean, time better use in more training IMHO.

that is your view. sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    train SLT with Extremely minimum effort ( meaning applied only enough effort to carry the body and limbs)
    This is correct.
    "In fighting, the hand you can see will not hurt you, the hand you cannot see, will hurt you." - Grandmaster Gary Lam

robert, phillip,

just noticed the thread is still active and your earlier posts. to answer your points, i am a fan of, but not a practitioner of wing chun, the source of my information is an accomplished teacher who studied under a number of different wing chun lineages. born into a relatively wealthy guangzhou family, he could afford to pay the fees of his multiple tutelages. however, i must emphasize what i put forward here is hearsay, and for discussion purposes only.

from what i understand:
    - much of the art of wing chun has yet to be passed into public domain.
    - wing chun in its entirety is a complete, effective, even brutal martial art, notwithstanding its legendary feminine origins.
    - in old school martial arts training, if the sifu did not tell, one did not ask.
    - wing chun is a fighting tradition, less a scholarly, intellectual one.
    - codifying of oral terms into written characters is a recent development.
    - examples of ambiguous phrases: chum kiu, chum: seek or sink; kim yeung ma, yeung: goat or groin?
    - the alternative siu lim tao meaning i posted earlier is an amalgamation of different inputs, i am not sure if it is a valid interpretation, and had posted it to see if anyone else have heard of something similar.

thank you for your feedback and comments.