Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does "Siu Lim Tau" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I sometimes think I am in a cartoon. I must be stupid as dirt because I don't understand anything he just told me. I am not sure it even refers to what I was saying anyway.
    The things he say can be summed up to a few sentences. In fact, most of the things he talk about can applied to a lot of things in life not just kung fu or wing chun in particular.

One of the things he's talking about is freeing the mind, so that a fighter will respond spontaneously to any situation he comes across. As opposed to a fighter who can only reacts like a robot. That fighter never learn to think for himself, so his art is never truly alive.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    The things he say can be summed up to a few sentences. In fact, most of the things he talk about can applied to a lot of things in life not just kung fu or wing chun in particular.

One of the things he's talking about is freeing the mind, so that a fighter will respond spontaneously to any situation he comes across. As opposed to a fighter who can only reacts like a robot. That fighter never learn to think for himself, so his art is never truly alive.

Yup, one got to get that from the SLT training, otherwise it is pulling reverse gear and get one stuck in all situation.

If one keep asking " am I do it right? is this tan right? my sifu told me this way ...... I need to put forward presure......" those are dead trap due to trapping in one's mind and lost in touch with reality or liveliness. those type of training makes one a robot and cant response lively. One can spend a life time with this mislead way and will not get much out of it beyond mimicing and lost contact with the reality. To be best they are good performer mimic-ing a beautiful dance.

The difficult part is get to quiet down the mind, until then one usually not realized one keep thinking even though one claim one is calm and quiet....and meditate......
    Last edited by Hendrik; 01-29-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post

Now see the difference? You said it in just 2 short paragraphs what it took him a full page to do. I can understand what you just said to me. If Hendrik could do this it would make so much more sense to someone like myself. It is so much easier when you know what a person is saying rather then have to first figure out what he has said. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Yup, one got to get that from the SLT training, otherwise it is pulling reverse gear and get one stuck in all situation.

If one keep asking " am I do it right? is this tan right? my sifu told me this way ...... I need to put forward presure......" those are dead trap due to trapping in one's mind and lost in touch with reality or liveliness. those type of training makes one a robot and cant response lively. One can spend a life time with this mislead way and will not get much out of it beyond mimicing and lost contact with the reality. To be best they are good performer mimic-ing a beautiful dance.

The difficult part is get to quiet down the mind, until then one usually not realized one keep thinking even though one claim one is calm and quiet....and meditate......
    I think this is pretty much what I was saying. I did Sil Lim over and over and over and over, fast and slow. I took each section and did it seperately. I did it until I did not have to even think about it. I just responded to a situation out of pure habit rather than have to think about it. I can do that today. It is engrained into me. Even if a different situation dictates a different action, it is still without thought.
    As for meditation, I do that all the time. I can do something in my mind over and over until I can do it flawlessly in reality. Some people meditate different from others. Some simply clear the mind so that their thoughts become fresh. I meditate by using my imagination. Thinking if you will. But Sil Lim I have no problem understanding.

concentrating on the finger will make you miss all that heavenly glory....

SLT = Genius at work ...genius in its simplicity... seeing genius takes little time, while mastery of it, a lifetime in the pursuit of its perfection.

The longer you wait the longer it will take to see it....Philipp Bayer may be coming to New York early August If you want to see genius at work ...you need not look elsewhere.

Dont mimic anything.

As the famous internal art ancient sifu said, your art is dead if you mimic me.

What you keep posting thinking I am open a subject and watch others to debate or fight is actually your own thinking not what it is.

If fact I am starting a evolution that everyone will be benifit from the exchange and chaos as how the nature suppose to be, contradict to what your thinking think.

So, a smart man must not trap himself by his own mind.

- Some times the quote{s} is used to illustrate a point, or inject some humor to help calm the situation at hand, we 're all guilty of prostitute it.

- I would not be alone in safely saying that is your MO {mode of operation}, and it can be seen all over this forum. Don't think of what I think that you think I'm thinking, because your mind can't know what I think.

- Fact is, WC has been on its evolutionary journey since inception. It needs not to be championed. We are to uphold its banner, pass it on to the next generation.

- To appreciate the silence, one must first quiet ones mind. A smart man can not be trap by his own mind...for he's too smart to be fooled.
    Last edited by wtxs; 01-30-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    -

- Fact is, WC has been on its evolutionary journey since inception. It needs not to be championed. We are to uphold its banner, pass it on to the next generation.

青山旧 雨初歇 豪情却 向谁说

机遇难赊

东风且暂借

流年似水足印难重叠

赤壁难辨

风流云散处

只剩下当时明月

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWRwRdW6zs

Question

青山旧 雨初歇 豪情却 向谁说

机遇难赊

东风且暂借

流年似水足印难重叠

赤壁难辨

风流云散处

只剩下当时明月

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWRwRdW6zs

Ooooow! You make my head hurt, may a couple of beers will dull the pain, yeha... thats the ticket.

Ooooow! You make my head hurt, may a couple of beers will dull the pain, yeha... thats the ticket.

仰天笑 全忘了
    潇洒如风轻飘飘

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZAzv...eature=related
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-03-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You're refering to siu-lum/shao-lin.
    We are speaking about completely different characters.
    The Tao you used for 'way/path' is not the same character as tauh 'head'
    In Cantonese the same word can be said in different tones and have different meanings and characters.
    i have also raised this point before;

many TCMA allude to Shaolin origins, and many of the people involved with th early formation of wck where NOT scholars.

is it beyond the realms of possibility that the characters followed the words and could all be subject to one persons slight misunderstand of the meaning?

in many TCMA forms were only passed down to lineage holders and san sik made up the 'art'. therefore the form could have been seen very seldomly and the name heard even less. way back when.

i do think that there is a slight possibility this could be the case.

let the attacks commence....

仰天笑 全忘了
    潇洒如风轻飘飘

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZAzv...eature=related
    Uncle! Uncle that I say, you're really puttin' the hurting to me this time, gonna need 2 six packs and more for all these pain.

Can't think of anyone appreciates the hard work you invested in finding all those music videos. We're not any where near your mental level, to understand and to receive the enlightenment of your grace. But if we were to be on-par, this forum would had died a slow death from boredom, at least you got this much going for you ... cheers my friend, I'm going to put a dent on those beers.

As far as literal translation goes, one would think that two collegiate professors of the language who simply stated "epiphany" and "idea" would get the point across. Even breaking down each character gives sufficient insight as to what the general goal of the set is.

Since the OP wanted elaboration outside of literal translation, here's my contribution: The form set to me is an introduction set. Essentially, it gives the student the foundational tools and ideas that comprise wing chun. Things like YKYJM, the three hand forms (tan, bong, fook), the basic vertical fist, the centerline theory, the immoveable elbow, pak sao, dai jeung, and etc.

It's meant to give someone a "little idea" as to what the system is all about. Now the real question is...how does the set help your fighting prowess? Keep in mind that's a rhetorical question meant to impose a thought process.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

念头正
    终生正

Is the meaning of Siu Nim Tao.

To elaborate further, if your thoughts are correct, then your life will be correct.
    Also means if your principles and training are correct, then your Wing Chun life
    will be correct.
    正 in this sense can also means Righteous.

正 in this sense can also refer to the centre line, 正中。
    Also, this is why Siu Nim Tao is the first form of Wing Chun, it forms the basis
    for all the rest of the forms.

念头 means the idea, Chinese says 善恶旨在一念之间,it means to be Righteous
    or Evil is only at the instance, when you have the idea.
    Last edited by -木叶-; 02-18-2010 at 03:49 AM.
    "In fighting, the hand you can see will not hurt you, the hand you cannot see, will hurt you." - Grandmaster Gary Lam

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    What does it actually mean,(not so much how the words translate literally, but figuratively as well) and why was that name chosen?
    I believe in some cases, the name of the set often tells alot, similarly to the kuen kuit.

Unless we can step back in time to ask the person/people which had given the WC forms their names, the true meanings will never to be revealed.

We can debate over these for an million years, the best we can come up with is .. little/small/simple idea of the mind/head.

The best we can do is to use our mind/head, explore all possibilities of the tools given.

Unless we can step back in time to ask the person/people which had given the WC forms their names, the true meanings will never to be revealed.

We can debate over these for an million years, the best we can come up with is .. little/small/simple idea of the mind/head.

The best we can do is to use our mind/head, explore all possibilities of the tools given.

That is not applied to those who have SLT kuen kuit.

The issue so far is people keep question and suspicious on the teaching of the ancestors with their mind set because everyone wants to have a say disregard of either they know or dont know the subject. It is a sickness cause by ego.

I have told many that the Hung Gar Iron wire is not WCK's SLT. and some keep arguing...etc.
    I also told many that SLT is not so called Shao Lin. and some give me those look.

Well, the fact is, if one have never train SLT with Extremely minimum effort ( meaning applied only enough effort to carry the body and limbs) one doesnt know SLT as from the Kuen kuit.

and where is this Extremely minimum effort teaching is from ? Emei 12 Zhuang. Thus, SLT is not WHite Crane of Fujian even thought it uses White Crane of Fujian's shape often.

That is how to get the Snake of SLT, using Extremely minimum effort. but how many start to argue without see for oneself practice it that way for a month and see the different?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-18-2010 at 02:46 PM.