Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Qi and Spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    you also don't have to let anyone inflict intense pain on you either.
    If one thinks one can let go of prolonged intense pain, there is always someone in this world who can take that shunt out of his/her mind, remotely.

Besides, if one focuses on detachment, that same person has made a foundation of detachment.

here is one of my favorite stories from the bible...

Judges 15:13-17

13 So they spoke to him, saying, “No, but we will tie you securely and deliver you into their hand; but we will surely not kill you.” And they bound him with two new ropes and brought him up from the rock.
    14 When he came to Lehi, the Philistines came shouting against him. Then the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him; and the ropes that were on his arms became like flax that is burned with fire, and his bonds broke loose from his hands. 15 He found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, reached out his hand and took it, and killed a thousand men with it. 16 Then Samson said:

“With the jawbone of a donkey,
    Heaps upon heaps,
    With the jawbone of a donkey
    I have slain a thousand men!”

17 And so it was, when he had finished speaking, that he threw the jawbone from his hand, and called that place Ramath Lehi.

these are as rare as black pearls.
    Samson had some serious chi !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    If one thinks one can let go of prolonged intense pain, there is always someone in this world who can take that shunt out of his/her mind, remotely.

Besides, if one focuses on detachment, that same person has made a foundation of detachment.
    Hi kfson,

Apparently you are unaware of the Buddhist monks in Vietnam who immolated themselves in protest of the Vietnam War. I recommend you do a YouTube search to see if they have any footage. These monks sat serenely in the lotus position and flamed themselves, never once moving.

D. T. Suzuki also writes of a Zen Monastery in Japan, that was torched by a Daimyo. The monks sat serenely in meditation while they were burned to death.

Once again, the best you can say is that YOU cannot do it!

As far as detachment is concerned, one does not FOCUS on detachment. You are correct, all this is, is attachment to detachment. One doesn't focus on anything, that is the point, THAT is detachment! It isn't something you TRY to do, FOCUS on, WORRY about, etc. You just do it, or more accurately, it is just done!

There are a number of Ch'an dialogues used to illustrate this point. In general they proceed along these lines:

One day a Tom approached the Master and asked, "What is the mind of Ch'an?" The Master yelled, "Tom!!". Tom answered, "What Master?" The Master replied, "There it is!"

Tom did not pause and contemplate, "What does Master want?" before he replied! He replied as a natural consequence of the Master calling his name. There was no pause to think about it. It was stimulus/response, NOT stimulus/consideration/response.

Thus Ch'an Masters teach, "Chop wood, carry water!"
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 01-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Samson had some serious chi !!
    Yeah, but it was all in his hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Thus Ch'an Masters teach, "Chop wood, carry water!"
    and others teach, "cut stone, build house!"

Yeah, but it was all in his hair!
    decieved and betrayed by a woman, it was cut off...

and others teach, "cut stone, build house!"

decieved and betrayed by a woman, it was cut off...
    Was it the betrayal of a women or of his own over-confidence?

Fear the taco !!!

Was it the betrayal of a women or of his own over-confidence?
    so as long as there are those who work to move humanity forward, there will be those who strive to keep it weak. there is a metaphorical side to the story aswell... exchange the word "woman" with the "religion/indoctrinational control concepts."

Hi kfson,

Apparently you are unaware of the Buddhist monks in Vietnam who immolated themselves in protest of the Vietnam War. I recommend you do a YouTube search to see if they have any footage. These monks sat serenely in the lotus position and flamed themselves, never once moving.
    Like I said, there is always someone that can remove that shunt of detachment, remotely- by mind, and make those monks feel the pleasure of burning.

So, if someone can do that, what is detachment?

so as long as there are those who work to move humanity forward, there will be those who strive to keep it weak. there is a metaphorical side to the story aswell... exchange the word "woman" with the "religion/indoctrinational control concepts."
    Or it could be an allegory for the seduction of the material/sensory world and how it can takes away your mojo!

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    Like I said, there is always someone that can remove that shunt of detachment, remotely- by mind, and make those monks feel the pleasure of burning.

So, if someone can do that, what is detachment?
    Detachment is the non-clinging to phenomena! Or it could be viewed as the natural function of mind!

Or it could be an allegory for the seduction of the material/sensory world and how it can takes away your mojo!
    that too.

Detachment is the non-clinging to phenomena! Or it could be viewed as the natural function of mind!
    more likely those monks accepted death and simply sat thru the brief pain of fire... they say it's one of the least painful ways to die... frantics on fire probably are still in denial of what is happening and are frantically fighting it, appearing to others as someone in great physical pain running around like a chicken with its head cut off - then again i have never set myself on fire.

i have a close viet friend who educated me about those monks. only 1 monk was motionless. the others fell over, slumped, cried out, etc.

the one monk that actually detached himself, Ḥa thượng Thích Quảng Đức, his heart did not burn, its in a museum in vietnam like its preserved, a 'miracle' if you will. my friend has seen it. there is a poem that goes along with his action, but i cant seem to find it...

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

that too.

more likely those monks accepted death and simply sat thru the brief pain of fire... they say it's one of the least painful ways to die... frantics on fire probably are still in denial of what is happening and are frantically fighting it, appearing to others as someone in great physical pain running around like a chicken with its head cut off - then again i have never set myself on fire.
    It's not that pain is not felt...it is that, while pain is felt, it is not clung too! If it hurts, scream, then let it go! It's not a competition!

I'm sure drugs didn't hurt either

It's not that pain is not felt...it is that, while pain is felt, it is not clung too! If it hurts, scream, then let it go! It's not a competition!
    may your words of wisdom be there in the day of my death.